CCleaner 2.04.543 won't delete index.dat files in XP

earld

I have an XP sp2 machine. I installed CCleaner 2.04.543 and started it up. I am using only the Cleaner.

In the Windows tab, there are check marks beside Temporary Internet Files, Cookies, History, Recently typed URLs and

Delete index.dat.

When I click the Analyze button, it shows a list of files to be deleted, but index.dat is not on the list.

When I run Cleaner, it does not delete the index.dat file which is at:

\documents and settings\my id\local settings\temporary internet files\content.ie5

The Cleaner does make that index.dat smaller; it was 8 Mb, now it's about 1 Mb.

How can I get CCleaner to delete my index.dat files?

Thanks, Earl

When I click the Analyze button, it shows a list of files to be deleted, but index.dat is not on the list.

When I run Cleaner, it does not delete the index.dat file which is at:

\documents and settings\my id\local settings\temporary internet files\content.ie5

The Cleaner does make that index.dat smaller; it was 8 Mb, now it's about 1 Mb.

How can I get CCleaner to delete my index.dat files?

Thanks, Earl

This file is rebuilt by Windows automatically. Once you run the cleaner, reboot and see if it's smaller each time, it should be. If you still want to make sure it's really gone you can use, and use with caution, "Unlocker". This program will give several options for deleting files, including delete on reboot. Please use caution with it since you can delete files that Windows needs to run.

Good luck,

Vic

This file is rebuilt by Windows automatically. Once you run the cleaner, reboot and see if it's smaller each time, it should be. If you still want to make sure it's really gone you can use, and use with caution, "Unlocker". This program will give several options for deleting files, including delete on reboot. Please use caution with it since you can delete files that Windows needs to run.

Good luck,

Vic

Hi,

I encountered a strange behaviour of CCleaner 2.04.543 under Win2k SP4 which might have to do with this topic.

When the advanced option "Show detailed log of IE temp. files" is unchecked, CCleaner tells me repeatedly that 0.23MB have been deleted (by chance, this is close to the size of index dat (245.760 Bytes)). If the above option has been selected, the program tells me: 0 bytes removed. After unchecking that option and runnung CCleaner again, I get the "0,23MB removed" message again and again.

I think it should not depend on an option regarding detailed logs whether index.dat will be recognized or not.

Thanks for a great program,

Peter

Hi,

I encountered a strange behaviour of CCleaner 2.04.543 under Win2k SP4 which might have to do with this topic.

When the advanced option "Show detailed log of IE temp. files" is unchecked, CCleaner tells me repeatedly that 0.23MB have been deleted (by chance, this is close to the size of index dat (245.760 Bytes)). If the above option has been selected, the program tells me: 0 bytes removed. After unchecking that option and runnung CCleaner again, I get the "0,23MB removed" message again and again.

I think it should not depend on an option regarding detailed logs whether index.dat will be recognized or not.

Thanks for a great program,

Peter

YES,Thanks for the feed back.You are very observant.

The figures are different and change per user.

Index.dat files are a MS creature that you can't make go away.They are needed to keep IE and therefore the Internet functioning in a timely manner.You give me cookie,I give you cookie.You mark my cookies for deletion.I make new cookies.

:) davey