Software or Hardware problem?

Newhotness

I'm unsure if this is SW or HW, but for the past month or so i have been "borrowing" my neighbours wireless signal, its your basic linksys signal, anyway, today i went to use it and it all my programs say they can't find a server (IE, Firefox, MSN, etc). Anyway, Windows wireless device says the signal is still strong and active (and unsecured), can anyone here think of a reason why i can no longer access the internet? Also, if i use my dial-up conection i can access all the programs fine. Any suggestions???

Thankx,

PS: I don't use his signal during peak hours or download/upload hgh volume, so i don't really see this as stealing...thankx again.

• Moderators

I think its pretty low to steal your neighbors connection. ;)

I have a question for you though I have a linksys router as well (its encrypted and you have to know the password) but I'm curious how far the connection will go. How far are you away from your neighbors router?

I think its pretty low to steal your neighbors connection. ;)

I have a question for you though I have a linksys router as well (its encrypted and you have to know the password) but I'm curious how far the connection will go. How far are you away from your neighbors router?

truth be told, we're pretty close (friendship) with our neighbours, but the problem is i don't know where the signal is coming from. it works in three rooms of my house, two on one side of our house and the other upstairs on the other side, so i have no idea where its coming from. If i knew who's signal it was i would ask them about it, actually i would show them how to encrypt it so this wouldn't happen from someone else (someone who doesn't take their speed into consideration).

as far as distance usually goes, i've heard up to three outer walls, and up to two house laterally away. It isn't just pure distance which interferes with the signal, but physical obsticals aswell.

Do you still think i'm low? :(

• Moderators
truth be told, we're pretty close (friendship) with our neighbours, but the problem is i don't know where the signal is coming from.  it works in three rooms of my house, two on one side of our house and the other upstairs on the other side, so i have no idea where its coming from.  If i knew who's signal it was i would ask them about it, actually i would show them how to encrypt it so this wouldn't happen from someone else (someone who doesn't take their speed into consideration).

as far as distance usually goes, i've heard up to three outer walls, and up to two house laterally away.  It isn't just pure distance which interferes with the signal, but physical obsticals aswell. 

Do you still think i'm low? :(

No, I guess if you neighbors wouldnt care than its ok. Sounds like TM is right though just make sure your configurations havent changed.

No, I guess if you neighbors wouldnt care than its ok. Sounds like TM is right though just make sure your configurations havent changed.

i ran system restore hopeing it would reset, but it told me no changes had been made, is this the type of thing that wouldn't come up on a System Restore, because i havn't changed any settings that i can think of, idonno what to do, i gotta get some sleep, maybe the problem will seem simpler in the morn, or better yet, just fix itself, i love it when that happens

thankx for your help all