Secure Deletion Not Working Under Vista

Shodan816

I had not tried Recuva for some time, but since the secure deletion option was added, I decided to give it another try. The good news is that it found almost as many files (99+%) as 'Recover My Files' ($60 for registered version) and that it can store it's settings in an INI file. It's also MUCH faster than RMF. The only problem I found is that it will not securely delete files as advertised, at least under Vista. I tried to securely delete files several times and the files were always recoverable and operational. Do you have enough Vista testers ? I would be more than happy to assist in testing both Recuva and CCleaner on Vista.

Can you post logs and some info on the files here

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=11523

:)

MrRon

I did as you asked and posted the information per your instructions. Hope it helps.

• Moderators

The secure delete option works fine for me on XP Home Ed. A great option, would be greater if we could rename the filename to something less embarrassing too.

One thing I have found whilst trying the secure delete is that if you tick several files to be securely deleted, right click and choose Secure Delete Checked, and the process returns 'The following files were not deleted - File resident in the MFT' then although the box says 'x files deleted' only the files prior to the message are deleted: all files ticked after the file in the MFT are not deleted.

This might be the problem some are having if they are attempting to delete multiple files.

This is annoying. Secure delete worked ok on single files this morning, but now won't delete them for love or money, either singly or in multiple selection.

Aha,,, more testing... seems to overwrite (delete) files marked as excellent, any others, poor, v poor and unrecoverable don't seem to be overwritten. Will test more (but I'm not doing all 10,000 of them). Can other users confirm this?

This is annoying. Secure delete worked ok on single files this morning, but now won't delete them for love or money, either singly or in multiple selection.

I'm sure glad you wrote that. I was certain it was only on my PC - possibly 'pilot error.'. When I tested secure delete yesterday, it was not working at all. Today, it seems to be either wiping content completely or, in some cases, it replaces the content with what appears to be text from a different file. Can't make rhyme nor reason exactly what it is doing on a consistent basis. One thing for sure - it is not changing file names. This would be a huge improvement if it would delete or scramble them. I will comment again as soon as I can make some sense of why secure delete seems to work sometimes but not others...

• Moderators

Shodan, in case you missed this edit: Aha,,, more testing... seems to overwrite (delete) files marked as excellent, any others, poor, v poor and unrecoverable don't seem to be overwritten. Will test more (but I'm not doing all 10,000 of them). Can you confirm this?

• Moderators

Of course, if the file is overwritten by part of another live file, then it can't and shouldn't be securely deleted. What an idiot for not cottoning on to that earlier. Well, it is Sunday and the red plonk is beckoning, so much so that I'm off for a glass or two. Over to you.

Of course, if the file is overwritten by part of another live file, then it can't and shouldn't be securely deleted. What an idiot for not cottoning on to that earlier. Well, it is Sunday and the red plonk is beckoning, so much so that I'm off for a glass or two. Over to you.

Pains me to admit it, but I totally missed that too. Here is what I just now discovered. Did a scan of C drive. Selected one BMP file that was marked EXCELLENT and one that was VERY POOR. Interestingly enough, after recovery, the 'excellent' one was not viewable at all but the 'very poor' one was totally intact and viewable as a BMP file. Next, I securely deleted both of them. Neither one is viewable now. This tells me that Recuva does not ignore overwriting files based upon their state (Excellent, Poor, etc), since it overwrote the 'good' file that was marked as Very Poor...