Deleting Windows Temp Files

Ellie Dee

After reading good things about CCleaner, I downloaded and installed the software. I religiously clean my temporary Internet files several times a day, but I have noticed that I have a large number of temp files in Windows Local Settings--actually 19 GB! When I analyzed my drive with CCleaner, the Windows temp files were not designated to be deleted; however, if I removed the check mark to delete only files older than 48 hours, then all those files would be deleted. I have looked at those files and found that most of them were much older than 48 hours. Actually, they were months old and many over a year old and were not being used. Included were a very large number of photos dated November 27, 2007. These are large files and need to be deleted. It does not look as if CCleaner is really analyzing the files and checking the age of the files. It seems to want to delete all or none. There are a few files from the last 48 hours which I would rather keep for the time being. I would appreciate knowing how I can use the program, checking the 48 hour box, and have all the old files deleted. As it is, the program is not useful in this aspect.

Ellie Dee

• Moderators

I don't know why CC is not identifying your old temp files, but why not copy those few files you wish to keep into a new folder, then just run CC to remove the rest? It's always a little flaky to hold files you may wish to keep in a temp folder.

Rgds.

I don't know why CC is not identifying your old temp files, but why not copy those few files you wish to keep into a new folder, then just run CC to remove the rest? It's always a little flaky to hold files you may wish to keep in a temp folder.

Rgds.

Thank you for your message. When I referred to files I did not wish to delete, I was referring to files from upgrading two large and important programs within the previous 48 hours which I thought prudent to keep for the 48 hours. The Local Settings Temp folder was filled with so many files that sifting through would be quite a chore. It looks, however, as if I am going to have to take on the job, unfortunately, and manually delete those old files. I wonder whether I am correct in concluding that if the 48 hour box is checked, CCleaner will not delete any files at all from a folder that contains files from within that time frame.

Ellie Dee

• Moderators

You may well be right. I have the don't delete until 48 hrs box ticked and my ..../me/local settings/temp folder has files going back to my pc setup a year or more ago. I don't have too many so it doesn't bother me. If you're only worried about keeping some files for 48 hrs then why not wait a few days and then clear the temp folder? Cheers.

• 1 month later...

I have CCleaner v2.05.555 set to delete the temporary files after 48 hours and notiiced that it doesn't do this. I have files that are a few days old there (JPG, FLV, EXE, DOC) that haven't been accessed and haven't been deleted.

I have CCleaner v2.05.555 set to delete the temporary files after 48 hours and notiiced that it doesn't do this. I have files that are a few days old there (JPG, FLV, EXE, DOC) that haven't been accessed and haven't been deleted.

Hi phc,

I am assuming you are referring to Windows temporary files.

There has been discussion about this in the past.I have not found any substantive explanation of what exactly is supposed to happen and when.

It does seem that when you access anything in the files then the date demarcation goes down the tubes.It may even be the related to action of looking at these files.A possible "bug" but who knows.

Just be sure there is nothing in there you want to keep.Then turn off the 48 hr option and in most cases I have seen the data comes tumbling out within a few days.

I have also seen where a sub-folder has been corrupted and had to be manually deleted to get things right again.

It seems once these "problem" files get set straight then CCleaner maintains them very nicely.

They usually show up when someone is using CCleaner for the first time.They can be data files,cookies,history files,temp files etc. what have you.

Most new users come to use CCleaner because they are having some sort of problem and they hope a good CCleaning will get things right again.Most times it does and sometimes it doesn't because they have more than a "bloated" computer problem.

One thing you can do is copy them to back them up then see what happens when they are gone.Also back up the Registry with ERUNT before deleting them.

Good Luck,

:) davey

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know how CCleaner determines a files to be older than 48 hours, but I do know that even opening a file in Windows will change it's 'Last accessed date', but not it's created date - so I'm guessing if you opened a file (that was created many years ago) that somehow will then end up in the temp folder with an accessed date of today, this may not be deleted.

If this is the case, then I would definately suggest that CC should look at the created date - although, having used CC for, oh, many decades :P I would have thought this would have been noticed / rectified before now.