Registry Cleaners

Eldmannen

Does anyone know any good registry cleaners?

There are tons, I came across many, but then its just demos, or trials that ask after you spent all that time scanning, it asks that you must pay and register to actually remove any entries or that you can only remove 10 entries if you dont pay for it.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

You should switch to FreeDOS, because it doesn't contain a proprietary "registry" that can get bloated and corrupted.

http://www.freedos.org

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

• Moderators
You should switch to FreeDOS, because it doesn't contain a proprietary "registry" that can get bloated and corrupted.

http://www.freedos.org

I have to disagree with you DJ. FreeDOS is rubbish. You want Linspire.

http://www.linspire.com/

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

I have to disagree with you DJ. FreeDOS is rubbish. You want Linspire.

http://www.linspire.com/

I thought of you better TwistedMetal how you could get so corrupt is beyond me. What you really want is Ubuntu. Its based of Debian and uses GNOME a nice thing to use for any Linux newb. And doesn't cost anything unlike crappy Linspire :-D.

Your not a Linux person now are you TwistedMetal :-D

If you hate user friendliness try Slackware, its like sticking needles into you hand, but giving you a lot of control.

DjLizard,

About FreeDOS, it is an interesting project, I have looked some into it before but never really got around to using it. I'll definitly try it out some day.

TwistedMetal

As for Linspire, it's totaly crap. It's way too commercial. It has this CnR (Click and Run) and it basically wants you to buy every little piece of software from them. No other Linux distribution has ever moved so far away from the Linux freedom.

For a GNU/Linux distribution, my choice would be Slackware Linux 10.1

Cursedbythegods,

I just ordered a Ubuntu Linux CD from their website and they'll ship it to me, I dont even have to pay anything, not even the shipping. ;)

Slackware is great, and you learn alot by using it. It is not difficult to use, it's very easy, configuring X is annoying sometimes though...

rridgely, thanks!

-

Anyone else have any good suggestions, feel free to step forward.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

I was freaking joking...

but DOS is better than everything ;D

and FreeDOS is not rubbish, it rules.

Linspire's a fruity joke.

and as far as Linux is concerned, Slackware > *

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

sorry, this is a little off topic, but what is a registry cleaner, what does it do? and PLEASE, don't just say "it cleans your registry"... could you go into a little more detail than that.

thankx

Thankx Alot DJ, just what i was looking for ! :D

After uninstalling some software (or if the software screws up while uninstalling, or it gets simply deleted off your hard drive but not officially uninstalled) there are entries in the registry that point to files that no longer exist... registry cleaners try to find entries in the registry that point to things that aren't valid anymore. CCleaner's issues tab does an excellent job of fixing registry problems.

Everything that you do in Windows accesses the registry constantly. Every time you right click, it populates the 'New' menu, or when you click Start... or really anything in Windows that you do. It all ties to the registry somehow.

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

• Moderators

The problem with many registry cleaners is you really have to look at the undo file to make sure they didn't remove more than what they list as "invalid." Many registry cleaners will go far beyond just removing a single reference they list and will remove more, or much more.

For example, after running Windows Update RegSeeker claimed this key was invalid:[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup]"ServicePackCachePath"="c:\\windows\\ServicePackFiles\\ServicePackCache"The problem is when looking at the undo file it actually removed this:[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup]"ServicePackCachePath"="c:\\windows\\ServicePackFiles\\ServicePackCache"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\AppLogLevels][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\BaseWinOptions][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\ExceptionComponents][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\ExceptionComponents\{077ACEC7-979C-40AB-9835-435BA1511E0D}][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\ExceptionComponents\{30C7234B-6482-4A55-A11D-ECD9030313F2}][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\ExceptionComponents\{3FDF25EE-E592-4495-8391-6E9C504DAC2B}][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\ExceptionComponents\{44BBA855-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\ExceptionComponents\{60204BB3-7078-4F70-8F69-68297621941C}][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\ExceptionComponents\{60BFF50D-FB2C-4498-A577-C9548C390BB9}][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\ExceptionComponents\{981FB688-E76B-4246-987B-92083185B90A}][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\ExceptionComponents\{A47B3654-48EE-48A5-B629-97D70175E58F}][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\ExceptionComponents\{AA936DF4-2B08-4B1F-B071-72192E287704}][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\ExceptionComponents\{AAC1D942-0B38-4E37-9E4E-5B96A9DD2170}][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\ExceptionComponents\{B3C1B200-8F14-4C49-96D3-67425AD59914}][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\ExceptionComponents\{C5B8FBE9-645E-4484-A7AA-E8DA9A70DD77}][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\ExceptionComponents\{CAC24AF7-5447-4F19-9FA6-F6E6E69D395E}][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\ExceptionComponents\{CFB4B314-0328-45E1-94AF-45A3F5F48E0B}][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\ExceptionComponents\{DD90D410-1823-43EB-9A16-A2331BF08799}][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Migration][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Migration\200][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Migration DLLs][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Oc Manager][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Oc Manager\MasterInfs][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Oc Manager\Subcomponents][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OOBE][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OOBE\CKPT][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OptionalComponents][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OptionalComponents\MAPI][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OptionalComponents\Messenger][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OptionalComponents\Moviemk][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OptionalComponents\SwFlash]

You might as well stop using it. I 100% trust CCleaner's issues tab. I've actually fixed several problems using CCleaner's issues tab. Most of the time with registry cleaners, you don't notice any effect... but CCleaner has served me well (since I know just when to use it ;)

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

Yea, I trust CCleaner so much I turned off the backup feature. Didn't see a pont in it.

:):) On that very subject, does anyone know where i can find a list that will translate what the data and registry keys are. I'd like to know what i'm deleting. In the past i've lost some valuable items because i didn't know what i was deleting. I've since added "Tweak Now Registry Cleaner" which has been extremely helpful, but i have a suspicion that it's not weeding out all the bad entries in my Registry. For example, if i run Tweak Now before CCleaner, it's probable that CCleaner will pick up an additional 10-20 entries that tweak now didn't catch. The differance of course being, i have a much better idea of what i'm deleting in Tweak Now than in CCleaner's "Issues". I hope i did this right, i've attempted to attach the current list od "issues", if there isn't a comprehensive list, a formula or a way to figure out what they are, or failing that, maybe an idea of what the items on this "Issues" list are.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Well i guess the transfer of the attachment didn't work. Error message stated i could not attach that type of extention! Oh well, I tried. What does BB code ( I'm knda new to this Forum business )

• Moderators

Well CODE will allow you to post stuff that a normal post will not do, html and so on. Also it's used like quote, but usually for copy and paste stuff. Like, html, registry, and other stuff like that.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

There are very advanced books written on the registry subject. Just like me, you're going to be learning as you go, and it will take ages to understand it all. It's not really CCleaner's fault that it's not more easy to understand -- after all, CCleaner can't tell you *why* there are useless entries in the registry, because the reasons are always different. You'd have to go on a case-by-case basis. There's a lot to know about Windows internals, especially the registry. All I can say is: gather as much knowledge as you can for now, and for anything you can't figure out, post a thread and we'll try to assist. Try to avoid guides about "tweaking", as they don't properly describe what's going on in the registry as much as they just compile lists of program-specific and OS-specific settings.

Some things to look up:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

'classes' in the registry, in general

CLSID

COM (Component Object Model)

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

There are very advanced books written on the registry subject.  Just like me, you're going to be learning as you go, and it will take ages to understand it all.  It's not really CCleaner's fault that it's not more easy to understand -- after all, CCleaner can't tell you *why* there are useless entries in the registry, because the reasons are always different.  You'd have to go on a case-by-case basis.  There's a lot to know about Windows internals, especially  the registry.  All I can say is: gather as much knowledge as you can for now, and for anything you can't figure out, post a thread and we'll try to assist.  Try to avoid guides about "tweaking", as they don't properly describe what's going on in the registry as much as they just compile lists of program-specific and OS-specific settings.

Some things to look up:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

'classes' in the registry, in general

CLSID

COM (Component Object Model)

stop freaking quoting! it's not necessary to quote when the quote comes from the PREVIOUS POST!

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips