Don't forget your Windows Updates!

TwistedMetal

There were actually 10 updates. 7 were critical.

• 7 Microsoft Security Bulletins affecting Microsoft Windows. The greatest aggregate, maximum severity rating for these security updates is Critical. Some of these updates will require a restart. 5 of these updates will be detectable using the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA), 2 of these updates will be detectable using the Enterprise Scanning Tool (EST).

• 1 Microsoft Security Bulletin affecting Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Services for UNIX. The greatest aggregate, maximum severity rating for these security updates is Moderate. These updates may require a restart. These updates will be detectable using the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA) and using the Enterprise Scanning Tool (EST).

• 1 Microsoft Security Bulletin affecting Microsoft Exchange. The greatest aggregate, maximum severity rating for this security update is Important. This update will not require a restart. This update will be detectable using the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA) and using the Enterprise Scanning Tool (EST).

• 1 Microsoft Security Bulletin affecting Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server and Small Business Server. The greatest aggregate, maximum severity rating for these security updates is Moderate. These updates may require a restart. This update will be detectable using the Enterprise Scanning Tool (EST).

slowday444

You, like so many others, are using v6 to update windows, I dont seem to get this option and still used v5 tonight.

You could try updating from v5 instead, by using the link below.

http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5co...t.aspx?ln=en-us

Sorry, I just had to edit this when I read your post again, you already tried this.

Have left it in though in case it helps anyone else.

Try this instead,

Run CCleaner to clear any remnants of earlier attempts and then try again.

I have Windows 98, IE 6.

I cannot download updates, especially 2 critical updates for OE. My IE and OE have been corrupted and have many problems with lock ups, programs not responding, dial up, etc.

I ran my anti-spyware and anti-virus with no detections. I ran Trojan Hunter with no trojans reported. However, I ran A-Squared Trojan detector and it reported numerous trojans, macros, and worms (false positives?) Something is not jiving here. Has anyone heard of any hacker compromising OE?

And any suggestions on what I can do?

Thanks

Did I give out the wrong info Tarun?, I thought it would be a useful alternative,

Also why did I not update using v6?

It seems that when updating to v6 some people's BITS and DCOM (services) become broken. Dial-A-Fix will fix it for certain.

I believe v6 is optional at this time. Unsure though.

CaPMan go here to get to v6.

http://update.microsoft.com/

I had to actually go to that site for it to update my windows update version. Now when I go to win update it automatically takes me to v6. If you already tried that, then I dont know. :D

There's also a segment on the right on v5 under News that tells you about v6 being there. It's how to PROPERLY install it.

Security Update for Windows XP (KB896358)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB890046)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB896422)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB896428)

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB883939)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB893066)

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - June 2005 (KB890830)

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png