Improvements for the Hotfix uninstaller delete

Provolino

Hello,

I really like the CCleaner feature that deletes hotfix uninstallers, they are useless and waste hdd spaces.

I noticed that CCleaner doesn't delete all the folders used by hotfixes and more in general windows updates.

I think that it's safe to delete also uninstallers of wmp, ie, net framework and all folders starting with "$" like $hf_mig$ because they come with "WindowsUpdate" and they can be considered like hotfixes.

I think this behaviour can be applied on all updates / programs installed by WindowsUpdate website.

I always deleted them manually for years with no problems at all.

I can understand that not all users want to get rid the ability to return to ie6 or wmp10 (even if I don't see any good reason for that) so maybe it can be added as an option in the advanced section.

Thanks for the help

Thanks for the info JDPower... I know this behaviour can cause issues for some users and this is the reason why I suggested to have it as an advanced option (not enabled by default) ;)

btw: what kind of problems did they cause? I mean, if you remove ie7 uninstaller, the only problem I can guess you have is to not be able to return back to ie6 but this is not a real issue since most of users prefer to always have latest version of programs :)

Do not delete the $hf_mig$ folder! WindowsUpdate, or any explicit hotfix installs need it to synchronize with already installed updates. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824994 for details.

Hi pwillener and thanks for the info :)

I made some tests on my pcs and I found that WindowsUpdate is still able to recognize hotfixes already installed on the system even if I deleted $hf_mig$ folder.

So I think that the check is elsewhere.

I also red the kb you linked and, if I undestand it correctly, it just says that $hf_mig$ folder is used by the system to store a backup of some dlls in case another hotfix overwrite them with older versions (very rare case I think)

here is a quote from it:

When a security update, critical update, update, update rollup, driver, or feature pack installs GDR version files, the hotfix files are also copied to the %windir%\$hf_mig$ folder. This supports migration to the appropriate files if you later install a hotfix or service pack that includes earlier versions of these files. For example, consider the following scenario:

1. You apply a security update that installs a GDR version of File.dll with a version number of 5.2.3790.1000 and copies a hotfix version of File.dll with a version number of 5.2.3790.1000 to the %windir%\$hf_mig$ folder.

2. You apply a hotfix that includes a hotfix version of File.dll with a version number of 5.2.3790.0000.

In this scenario the hotfix installation in step 2 installs the hotfix version of File.dll (version number 5.2.3790.1000) from the %windir%\$hf_mig$ folder instead of the hotfix version of File.dll (version number 5.2.3790.0000) from the hotfix package.

I also red the kb you linked and, if I undestand it correctly, it just says that $hf_mig$ folder is used by the system to store a backup of some dlls in case another hotfix overwrite them with older versions (very rare case I think)

Hotfixes will never overwrite files with older versions. So the $hf_mig$ is a folder which is only to "support" the hotfix installation. If the folder is missing and a hotfix has an older DLL version, it will simply ignore that file.

Carsten

• 6 months later...

I understand some shouldn't be deleted and I would like to leave any that are still applicable.

After SP3 your registry cleaner gives a whole list of "Uninstaller reference issues" which I assume are hotfixes that are replaced by SP3.

How about an option that deletes all $NtUninstallKB******$ files that are no longer valid?

Thanks for a wonderful product at an even better price!

I have no idea why CCleaner added this "Hotfix uninstaller" feature. I think it's not really 'temp file cleaner programs' business to deal with those files. But atleast it seems to be safe. It wasn't at first. I always delete those folders manually, every now and then. Only $NtUninstallKBnumber$ folders, nothing else.

I understand some shouldn't be deleted and I would like to leave any that are still applicable.

After SP3 your registry cleaner gives a whole list of "Uninstaller reference issues" which I assume are hotfixes that are replaced by SP3.

How about an option that deletes all $NtUninstallKB******$ files that are no longer valid?

Thanks for a wonderful product at an even better price!

CCleaner already deletes those files with Hotfix Uninstallers checked in the Advanced area

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user