35 passes still being recoverd

ident

I have been using 35 passes to delete some files on my computer, Then i use recova to see if any can be recovered and every time they can be.

I thought there was no way possible for them to be recovered?

os is windows xp

i run anti virus dr web, avg 7.5 and superantispyware

No fate but what we make

I have been using 35 passes to delete some files on my computer, Then i use recova to see if any can be recovered and every time they can be.

I thought there was no way possible for them to be recovered?

os is windows xp

i run anti virus dr web, avg 7.5 and superantispyware

ARE you using IE also.

If so THIS link should help.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showto...amp;#entry93980

IF not IE files what files are they?

ARE you using IE also.

If so THIS link should help.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showto...amp;#entry93980

IF not IE files what files are they?

Hi, i dont use IE, i use firefox, (even though my sister uses IE and i did wonder what all the internet pictures that iv never saved where doing there.) but that check box was still unchecke din IE

any way.

These files are picture files. My dad designsCustom bulkheads for offices and lots more. We are selling this computer and he does not want his private information still on the computer.

But i can still recover these files.

I'm thinking dBan?

No fate but what we make

You're saying these are regular pics/files (as opposed to temp files etc)? If so have they actually been deleted by CCleaner and if so how, was the folder they were in added as a custom folder in CCleaner or were they deleted to the recycle bin then erased by CCleaner?

I'm thinking dBan?

That's the option I'd go for if I was selling on a computer.

You're saying these are regular pics/files (as opposed to temp files etc)? If so have they actually been deleted by CCleaner and if so how, was the folder they were in added as a custom folder in CCleaner or were they deleted to the recycle bin then erased by CCleaner?

That's the option I'd go for if I was selling on a computer.

Hello, yes these are all pictures (regular) I delete them to recycle bin then wipe with CCleaner? should the folder be added to CCleaner?

No fate but what we make

Hello, yes these are all pictures (regular) I delete them to recycle bin then wipe with CCleaner? should the folder be added to CCleaner?

Well I don't normally use CCleaner to empty the recycle bin (I use Eraser for that) but have just created a uniquely named file, deleted it to the recycle bin and ran CCleaner with Recycle bin ticked (and just 1 pass overwrite). Ran Recuva and the file was not listed as recoverable so not sure why they're not being overwritten on your system :huh:

This is getting even worse, i go to tools/include and add a folder in it, with a few test pictures to see if it is working or not, when pc powers up i get an animateed CCleaner icon in system tray, showing activity.

go to the folder and its still there with its contence

:/

im running latest version

No fate but what we make

This is getting even worse, i go to tools/include and add a folder in it, with a few test pictures to see if it is working or not, when pc powers up i get an animateed CCleaner icon in system tray, showing activity.

go to the folder and its still there with its contence

Have you ticked the 'Custom files and folders' box at the bottom of the advanced section?

Still don't understand why it seems to not be erasing your recycle bin though, are you using the latest version? Perhaps you could test it as I did to be absolutely certain by creating a notepad file with a unique name, deleting it to the recycle bin, running CCleaner then seeing if it can be found by Recuva.

Have you ticked the 'Custom files and folders' box at the bottom of the advanced section?

Still don't understand why it seems to not be erasing your recycle bin though, are you using the latest version? Perhaps you could test it as I did to be absolutely certain by creating a notepad file with a unique name, deleting it to the recycle bin, running CCleaner then seeing if it can be found by Recuva.

Firstly i checked advanced section and ther eis no custome files and folders'

i am running latest version, always do

I just created a txt file. deleted then tryed recova, and no it didnt find it.

so my problem is now, why when i use recova to recover files. then redelete them is it still finding them?

Is it something to do with the trace thATS already been left is still there. and it recovers the file. and even if that files deleted the previous trace is still there?

No fate but what we make

so my problem is now, why when i use recova to recover files. then redelete them is it still finding them?

Now it makes sense. There is no point recovering them to erase them as the original unrecovered file will still be on the disk. So you are just recovering a copy of the file and erasing it, the original will still be on disk till it is overwritten. You can use Eraser to overwrite free space which will overwrite all recoverable files. Or as already mentioned just use DBAN before you sell it on.

The 'Custom files and folders' tickbox IS there, in the cleaner section, under the Windows tab, advanced section at the very bottom

Now it makes sense. There is no point recovering them to erase them as the original unrecovered file will still be on the disk. So you are just recovering a copy of the file and erasing it, the original will still be on disk till it is overwritten. You can use Eraser to overwrite free space which will overwrite all recoverable files. Or as already mentioned just use DBAN before you sell it on.

The 'Custom files and folders' tickbox IS there, in the cleaner section, under the Windows tab, advanced section at the very bottom

Thanks very much for all the help.

No fate but what we make