Ad-Aware SE updtaes

Anthony A

I had used Ad-Aware since it's humble beginnings, however I didn't care for the new version much myself and won't use it either.

Hi Andavari,

Do you recommend an alternative to Ad-Aware, or is having Spyware Blaster, Spybot, AVG Free Edition and SuperAntiSpyware sufficient?

Same here, I wouldn't touch the 2007 version with a barge pole.

The SE definitions ARE available at the above link.

That is a manual download of the defs. From reading the Lavasoft forums I get the impression that the manual download will be discontinued as well eventually.

That is a manual download of the defs. From reading the Lavasoft I get the impression that the manual download will be discontinued as well eventually.

When that happens, I will be uninstalling it and won't be upgrading to the 2007 version.

What are you planning to use in its place?

When that happens, I will be uninstalling it and won't be upgrading to the 2007 version.

What are you planning to use in its place?

I already have Superantispyware, AVG AS, Spybot S&D, and a-squared so I won't be replacing it with anything. I guess I will keep it until they stop providing manual downloads of the updates.

I already have Superantispyware, AVG AS, Spybot S&D, and a-squared so I won't be replacing it with anything. I guess I will keep it until they stop providing manual downloads of the updates.

I haven't ever used Superantispyware or a-squared before - are they any good?

I haven't ever used Superantispyware or a-squared before - are they any good?

They are highly regarded especially SAS. I don't get malware so they don't really get put to the test with me ;). They are easy to use and have caused me no problems with scanning or updating. A-Squared went through a period in the summer where it was updating the program (not the definitions) all most like 3 times a week and I didn't like that. That was because they upgraded to version 3 and they were working the bugs out. I felt they should have worked those bugs out before they released it but that has been worked out and it's fine now.

They are highly regarded especially SAS. I don't get malware so they don't really get put to the test with me ;). They are easy to use and have caused me no problems with scanning or updating. A-Squared went through a period in the summer where it was updating the program (not the definitions) all most like 3 times a week and I didn't like that. That was because they upgraded to version 3 and they were working the bugs out. I felt they should have worked those bugs out before they released it but that has been worked out and it's fine now.

Thanks for the info - I'll certainly be checking SAS out then - I have plenty of antispyware software but it's nice to be able to try others out every so often.

• 2 weeks later...

did not like new went back to old up date #1 Time & Date check #2 check Fire wall not stop #3 stop all till all up date is download if not work big job take off clean out all refit :rolleyes: :rolleyes:Got Update for Ad-aware SE 3 day a go 8 March 2008 http://www.lavasoft.com/support/securitycenter/blog/

0059.0000 = Ad-Aware 2007 http://www.lavasoft.com/support/securitycenter/blog/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SE1R227 =Ad-Aware SE

SE Update

http://www.softpedia.com/

Ad-aware SE Reference File SE1R240 21.04.2008 | Free Reference file update for Ad-aware SE (Ad-ware SE)

• 1 month later...
I have not had a definitions update for Ad-Aware SE in over 3 weeks. SE1R210 27.12.2007 is the last update I received. Has anybody been able to update since than?

Each time I load AdAware it states that the definitions file is outdated (Definition file: 0055.0000 Dated: 01/03/2008) and to run web update. After clicking on web update it then prompts to connect to the internet (even though I am already connected!) and the whole thing just freezes. :angry:

I've tried it numerous times and with different applications open/closed with no effect. I have to resort to using Task Manager to end the process.

I was a big fan of the 'old' AdAware and never had any problems, but I think they've taken a huge step backwards with this latest version (7). I also use Spyware Blaster and AVG Anti-Spyware and am wondering whether to stop using AdAware altogether.

Any thoughts? :unsure:

I was a big fan of the 'old' AdAware and never had any problems, but I think they've taken a huge step backwards with this latest version (7). I also use Spyware Blaster and AVG Anti-Spyware and am wondering whether to stop using AdAware altogether.

Hi kaybee,

Go back and read the whole thread.It pretty much says it all.

Although, some users may have some later updates.

So far it looks pretty grim.

:) davey

• 4 weeks later...
Each time I load AdAware it states that the definitions file is outdated (Definition file: 0055.0000 Dated: 01/03/2008) and to run web update. After clicking on web update it then prompts to connect to the internet (even though I am already connected!) and the whole thing just freezes. :angry:

I've tried it numerous times and with different applications open/closed with no effect. I have to resort to using Task Manager to end the process.

Ad-Aware 2007 http://www.lavasoft.com/support/securitycenter/blog/

see my post you need to get the zip & download unzip to Ad-aware folder, all the best from hotdoge3 good luck. :rolleyes::rolleyes: