Defraggler suggestions

StuartUK

Hey there, first, sorry for my english.

I wonder if it will be possible to choose where to move defragmented files. I do prefer having "much accessed" files at the begining of my hard drive and "less accessed" files at he end of it.

For example, i'm a gamer and i expect having much performance as possible for a particular program.

I hope i made myself clear. Keep on the good work Piriform team.

My best regards

• 2 weeks later...

Fist, sorry for my english, well, i was thinking in some ideas for defraggler:

• Maybe an ETA for the defrags
  • After the alalysis ends, the program says if a defrag is recomended or not...
  • A option to defrag more than 1 disk at the time
  • Maybe an option to turn off the pc when the defrag ends

For a very quick gui improvement, I would prefer when I resize the window to see the disk visualization expand automatically instead of the file list. Currently, the file list expands to fill up the space, but if I maximize the window and then use the split bar to expand the size of the disk visualization (I like watching the colors while defragmenting :blink:), the size of the visualization remains fixed when I restore the window to its original size. That hides the file list and main buttons and chops off the bottom of the visualization whereas resizing the visualization (or at least setting a minimum height threshold to the file list to ensure that the buttons are visible) would be more desirable.

This is only a minor issue and should be a minor change to the code. I like the product, found out about it after clicking the flashy new Piriform pear icon in CCleaner ;)

One thing I don't get.. where can you defrag the registry? can't find such a button..

It's probably posted in the wrong sub-section, but I saw someone mentioning it here, that's why..

About the GUI..

How about putting the Drive Map Legend horizontally just beneath the analyzed blocks?

Another thing.. I know that when he is defragging it's.. well.. quite busy.., but it would be nice if you could

adjust the width of the collumns with the file info while defragging.. it's sometimes good to know what files are

fragmented, and it's not very handy stopping the defrag, adjust the width, and then restart..

SET IT AND FORGET IT (SCHEDULE) and CHECK FOR UPDATES options will b nice to c

These two would be very useful.

Seeking for 'Defrag All' + 'Defrag Selected' (multichoice, using CTRL button).

Also - 'Analyze&Defrag' (one button for two operations) - it's quite strange now when you just press 'Defrag' and it doesn't show you what's on your HDD.

One thing I don't get.. where can you defrag the registry? can't find such a button..

It's probably posted in the wrong sub-section, but I saw someone mentioning it here, that's why..

The reason you cant find the button is because there is none. Defraggler doesnt defrag the registry.

suggestion can it be possible defrag system files on reboot?

like raxco Perfect Disk or like avast antivirus that do scan on next reboot.

And they also arrange files in some kind of order i think they put boot files first, then system files then other file by the most use to the less use.

Also other OS support would be Great :lol:

I'd love to see the ability to utilize multiple partitions/disks when defragging. My largest partitions are nearly always nearly full (under 5% free), but the smaller ones are about half full only (~50% free). The free space on the bigger ones is hardly sufficient for effective defrag, but by utilizing the free space on the smaller ones it could be done -- and faster too.

Thus far I've never come across this kind of feature, but it would certainly seem logical.

Just a few "simple" B) suggestions:

1. Defrag all folders and move to the front of the drive.

2. Respect "layout.ini" during consolidation phase.

3. Option to relocate installer, setup, and archive (zip, rar, etc..) to near the end of the drive.

We all have many more items on our "wish" lists but, those items become increasingly difficult from a programming standpoint. Hopefully, these few are reasonable from an implementation perspective.... :)

And...THANKS FOR ALL THE EFFORT !!!!

I have an idea that would near completely abolish fragmentation.

The free-space defragmenting process should move all of the old unmodified files that are likely to not be deleted or modified to the front of the drive, and the newer files to the end. My purpose is this: when a file is deleted it leaves a whole; when a file is modified, it either leaves a whole, or fragments the modified file. but if you put all of the unchanging files in the front, and all of the changing/new files at the end, there will be a gap between where all* fragmentation happens. this can be cleared up much more quickly, because you simply defragment it to the end of the drive, and move the unchanging files in the "new" section the the beginning of the drive.

For this to work, there must be absolutely no gaps in the "old" section.

*some of these fragments may be a newly modified piece of the files in the "new" section.

• 2 weeks later...

Atm, all I want is 3 things:

Free-space defrag (having to use Windows Defragger for this)

Pagefile defrag (currently 2GB across 13 fragments)

The ability to move around whole files and freespace so large files (I have 5 1GB files that can't be defragged further than 2/3 parts despite having 7GB free space) can be defragged easier.

Keep up the good work.

• 2 weeks later...

is there going to be drag and drop for folders?

navigating through windows is a pain

how about a "recent defrags" so we only have to navigate to the folder once and can use a history for future defrags

Further to my earlier post (of a few minutes ago), here is another

suggestion as a possible alternative...

1) Leave the "Defrag" button as it is, but...

2) Change the right-click context menu on a drive to replace the current

"Defrag Drive" [which currently defrags files and freespace] with

three entries: "Defrag Files" [which would just do all the files],

"Defrag Freespace" [which would just compact the freespace], and

"Defrag Files + Freespace"

Would this be a better suggestion to my previous one ??

-thm

THM,

I agree that the button situation is a little confusing. I very familiar with programs like Diskeeper and a few others. I found it very confusing that hitting analyze and defrag button did not in fact defrag the whole drive including free space. I think that the right clicking on the drive options should do the same job as the buttons on the main screen. If Piriform insists on keeping them separate maybe they should incorporate a defrag free space button or command line switch. This is my observation. I like the Defraggler program alot and it has come so far, but this right clicking on the drive was a bit weird especially since there are no help/instructions to tell you to do so. I hope they are listening.

Jeff

I would like to suggest an ability to ignore certain folders while analyzing. This will work like the 'Exclude' in CCleaner - nothing will be automatically ignored unless you add a folder to the list.

I feel no need to defrag my Temporary internet folder as its going to be emptied after a day or two anyway.

Further, I see no need for an "Are you sure" warning box when you right click on a drive and select defrag. Its obvious I want to defrag it, and nothing bad could happen from doing it.