CCleaner Community Forums
StuartUK

Defraggler suggestions

I'm not sure if the Windows defragging API supports simultaneous drives but even if it did I doubt there would be any speed difference than defragging drives one after another.

To defrag a hard drive data must be read and written via the IDE/SATA controller which would have a set maximum transfer rate.

If you was to defrag 4 drives at the same time then each drive would only have 1/4 of the controller's bandwidth to use.

As you can see 4 * 1/4 = 1 :)

Richard S.

redhawk,

I am not expert on hardware limitations, but from experience: You are right about the controller bandwidth limitations, but you should be aware that these bandwidths are usually several factors above what a real HDD can actually provide. So if you run 4 HDDs, the controller may actually be able to server 2 or 3 of them at full speed.

There is another limiting factor: Partitions. Usually HDDs are partitioned, so if you try to defrag more than one partition on the same HDD, there will be "head shreddering". This slows down the defrag speed considerably, plus probably reduces the life of your HDD.

So we would be talking about defragging different HDDs. I only have SATA drives, each with a separate connector to the main board. So defragging two drives at the same time, should actually be twice as fast (or almost). Especially if you have a multi-core system (like my i7 920), where CPU power should not be limiting factor, provided the defrags are running in separate threads.

Unless I am overlooking something...

Ironically my SSD (solid state drive C:\ Win7 64bit) explicitly should *not* be defragged.

My drives are also sata drives each attached to their own controller on the motherboard. Not only that they are Samsung F1 spinpoints that have the "s.m.a.r.t." option. No limitations on the partitioning though, each drive of 1TB is made up of a single partition.

My system is a Intel Q9950 with 2x Samsung F1's and 8GB ram. So memory nor speed nor bandwith should be an issue here.

Defraggler really should improve engine by supporting VSS (Volume Shadow Copy)

Everytime I defrag I must turn it off or Volume Shadow Copy will grow and destroy my current system/files Volume Shadow Copy.

I belive that his would also greatly improve Defraggler speed?

[1.]

The following options lack a text input box for file pathes,

settings > options > exclude > add > Drive or Folder [Text input box] & [browse Dialog]

settings > options > exclude > add > File [Text input box] & [browse Dialog]

This tends to be an easy fix for most programs,

and would be beneficial to those who know their path,

work with scripts, or have their paths copied in clip board.

Please add functionality for text input boxes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[2.]

How can i set Defragglers ram usage allotment higher?

I would like to offer 2GB of my ram to Defraggler when it defrags,

as most of the files i defragment are between 700mb and 1.8gb

I also have a I-Ram drive, which is 4GB,

but I see no way to defer Defragglers work-space to that high speed ram drive. (Z:)

Does the Piriform team actually ever READ this stuff? or take any of it into consideration?

Cause I realize I've posted here before many many months ago, and no answers were given then either.

Is this section of the forum only here to defer requests and helpful ideas to the void?

Does the Piriform team value our suggestions? or are we talking to ourselves, so that we are not -bothering- them?

Suggestion: reward suggestions with moderator feedback.

Does the Piriform team actually ever READ this stuff? or take any of it into consideration?

Cause I realize I've posted here before many many months ago, and no answers were given then either.

Is this section of the forum only here to defer requests and helpful ideas to the void?

Does the Piriform team value our suggestions? or are we talking to ourselves, so that we are not -bothering- them?

Suggestion: reward suggestions with moderator feedback.

I can only guess that the team reads the suggestions and mulls them over in a committee meeting and decides if they want to adopt some of the better ideas, which is what I see in my own work experience. There are so many suggestions offered it would be ludicrous to expect adopting all of them, they can't let the programs grow into behemoth bloatware. They probably prefer keeping the current size with only the necessary tweaking to improve functionality.

One must understand that for free programs they offer much value at no cost to the user. I believe Piriform programs attract so many users because they are relatively easy to use as well as free of charge.

The devs do indeed read all suggestion on all 4 of the Piriform products. That is how and why new versions of each product are brought out. In addition to the suggestions they also track the bug report areas.

I think it would be unreasonable to expect Piriform to reply to every suggestion. These are all free products for our use. The forum here is manned by moderators who all give their time free, also the many members who daily give advice and help to folk like yourself.

Please don't see this as a negative reply, this is a positive place and the frequency of the product updates reflects that.

kroozer and hazelnut you've both been very positive.

I'm happy to at least get a reply for the first time in 3 months. (from both of you.)

I'm not usually one to rely on faith alone.

"Suggestion threads" feel a little too much like "praying to god" for me, waiting on the hope of an answer. :P

If your Christian, then there should only be one god. :P

If your Atheist, there shouldn't be any gods.

In lots of other cultures, there are many gods.

I'd rather not have to submit my suggestions on faith and prayer that they are even being looked at.

There is enough enigma's in the universe! *^p^*

I do "Hope" they read this forum and do indeed in their infinite wisdom take pity on the meager pleas of their faithful user base, and answer our prayers.

I will await the sign of a burning pear tree! lawl

Just fooling around. Seriously guys, say hello in this thread more often!

Nom!

I'd like to throw my vote behind an extra menu item called "Exit after Defrag." It could go beneath Settings > Shutdown after Defrag.

I often like to run Defraggler after we close up shop for the night and I want to keep the computer running without my staff needing to see the Defraggler screen when they open up in the morning.

Otherwise, awesome product!

Eric

I'd like to suggest a "Stop or pause defrag" time period. For example, if Defraggler is running and this time period is set to 3am-7am, it'll stop at 3am and optionally continue at 7am.

Scott

Don't count System Volume Information files, unless elected ☑.

Edit. That improvement would substantially reduce future forum post count. :lol:

First of all, I am a huge fan of Piriform, and have everyone I know using their products. I have compared Defraggler to a large number of professional defragment programs, and compared to Defraggler, they have failed miserably.

The only thing I cannot do with a Piriform product, is defrag my registry. Defragging the registry isn't the most important thing, but if Piriform included that in some way, they would certainly encompass all basic maintenance.

Thank you for making such a quality product!!!

Yes .

oops I missed this one. If you are willing to do a translation, please PM the Admin MrRON and he will set you up with how to translate. And thank you for your interest in contributing

First of all, I am a huge fan of Piriform, and have everyone I know using their products. I have compared Defraggler to a large number of professional defragment programs, and compared to Defraggler, they have failed miserably.

The only thing I cannot do with a Piriform product, is defrag my registry. Defragging the registry isn't the most important thing, but if Piriform included that in some way, they would certainly encompass all basic maintenance.

Thank you for making such a quality product!!!

Defragging the Registry is useless at best and dangerous to your PC at worst (if you search both this and the ccleaner boards you'll find many people asking for this and realativly the same answer I gave you)

First of all, congrats for this mini super-tool. It is a very good defrag program (fast, small, light on resources). However i have some suggestion to make and if they are implemented, they could make this little thing better than PerfectDisk, which in my opinion is the best defragger out there right now, although paid.

1)Add a form of defragment "Defrag by Frequency". So that Defraggler will see which files are most frequently used, and put them to the beginning of the drive(the fastest part of the drive) to achieve maximum performance gains. Create file groups (frequently used, moderately used, rarely used) to sort them from the beginning of the drive to the end, respectively.

2)Leave free space gaps (they could also be user-defined!) between the file groups to lessen future fragmentation.

3)Defragment the boot/locked files. They should be placed in the very beginning of the disk, even before the most frequently used files!

First of all I totally agree with johny.xmarks and would LOVE defraggler to get to the same level PerfectDisk is with sorting by frequency, in zones and with spaces between them !

+2 from me ! :)

A few small UI improvements I'd suggest:

- The 'Drive map' button is more or less useless or misplaced on the home screen and should only be available through the options menu

- There's no button for quick-access to boot time defrag (it's hidden under options/defrag and stays at the bottom)

- Tune the analyze and defrag buttons on the home screen ('analyze' should point to analyze/verify and 'defrag' to defrag/quick defrag/defrag freespace/boot time defrag)

- With this you could completely cross out the file toolbar (action/settings etc.) like you do with ccleaner and e.g. replace it with a wrench button (like in chrome) and a question mark or something like this

I hope I could help. ;) Besides: GREAT products you produce !