Defraggler suggestions

StuartUK

Suggestions for improvements for Defraggler RC2:

1. Add a color (gray ??) to the columnheader of the filelist in order to indicate on which column the filelist is sorted. On filename, filesize, number of fragments, etc. Omit the color when the files aren't sorted at all.

2. Add to the columnheader of the "Filelist" an arrow pointing down or up to indicate how the defragmented file are sorted (if and when sorted). This in order to indicate an ascending or a descending sorting order.

3. Omit the ""Status" tab. The information on both the number of defragmented files and the number of fragments can be displayed on the right hand side of the 4 buttons ("Analyze","Defrag", etc.). The piegraph depicting the amount of free and used space is simply a waste of programming lines and bloates the program.

4. Create a clear black line or a small divide between the map of the currently active drive and the file list. This line should serve as an indicator where to put the computer mousepointer in order to resize both the drivemap and the filelist. In the current program that's more or less a matter of guesswork.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

I had a look at your updated beta version 1.02.078 and noticed you added a feature where you can see the disk-space. Is it possable to have a "settings" section on the tool bar where a person can disable this? Reason for asking is, i preffered the previous versions where it was straight forward. When you defragged, you could see the amount of file-space left as it defrags, where as in this build, it seems gone :(

PS: Ive decided to revert back to the "old" version where everything you needed is right there... I would think THIS version has more to do with "fancyness" than anything else ( no offence ), where as the elder was straight forward.

Exclude directory list, there is no need for defragging temporary files, for example cached internet files.

Exclude tile name list, for example *.TMP, do not defraf these files.

A key for selecting files with more than xx fragments

Here are some of the things that I hope Defraggler can have:

1. Defrag all drives.
  2. Options > Shutdown after Defragmentation complete.
    - The first two options would benefit people who wants to sleep / go out while letting Defraggler do the job. A shutdown after defragment complete option would round everything up nicely.
  3. Registry Defragmentation
    - For the sake of being a all-rounded Defragmentation software!
  4. Disk Map Legend placed at the Drive tab (For clarity)
  5. More priority modes on the usage of computer resources: High, Medium, Low, Background modes
    - The ideal way to defrag the computer is to defrag it when we ain't using it. Why do we need to help the computers save resources when we ain't using the computer? That is why a High priority mode should be added! This way, we wouldn't waste all the excess computing power that our computers have. As for the other modes, it's pretty self-explanatory.
  6. Speed increase!
    - I've used Auslogics Disk Defrag. Both Defraggler and Disk Defrag are good softwares, however, Disk Defrag wins Defraggler hands down when it comes to speed.

I've used Auslogics Disk Defrag. Both Defraggler and Disk Defrag are good softwares, however, Disk Defrag wins Defraggler hands down when it comes to speed.

Very true, but be aware of Auslogics's "fake"-reports...I remember using it a while ago. After defragmentation ( using Auslogics ) i went into Windows'es own Defragmentation screen and to my supprise noticed that there was still a bit of "Un-defragmented" files on the disk...that was reported as "fixed" by Auslogics :(

I did not like Auslogics Disk Defrag as it did not do as good a job as the built in Windows defrag.

The Great Defrag Shootout: The Winners:

http://donnedwards.openaccess.co.za/2007/0...ut-winners.html

The Great Defrag Shootout: Why Defrag at all?:

http://donnedwards.openaccess.co.za/2007/0...rag-at-all.html

My own rule of thumb: if the defrag takes longer than an hour you need to do it more often. If it takes less than 10 minutes, defrag less often. You don't want to waste a lot of time in order to save a little time. Do the defrag during a quiet period, such as when you're away from your desk for a meeting, or after hours. In that way you don't waste productive time.

I'll try Defraggler again when it becomes GA and not a RC offering as it hosed my XP Home system to the point that I could not get it to boot even to Safe Mode and had to re-install it.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• 2 weeks later...

I?d like to have an otion to minimize or better minimize to tray... that would be great... I use my comp even if defragmenting (not games, but ordinary use) and I can?t see my awesome wallpaper while defragmenting... the only option to minimize it is show desktop combination (WindowsKey+D) but when you restore one window defraggler restores with it... the thing is I?d like to have it minimized or minimized to tray...

But don?t take it as any critisism it is just a suggestion that would fit my needs... Exept this it?s an awesome program for defragmenting...

Thx very much...

I'd like to see a multithreaded defraggler. Because most of recent x86 CPUs have more than 1 core. And i often see defragler using up the full capacity of one thread (What is it doing then anyways?)

Also i'd like to see the blocks in the diagram in a better (or choseable) resolution. Fullscreen mode with 1px per "block" would be nice too :)

1. Can we be allowed to resize columns and use the scroll wheel in the file list during a defrag? I can't think of any good reason not to.

2. It would be nice to be able to see which file is currently being defragmented when in the file list tab, not just the drive tab.

3. I also agree as others have suggested, that multi-threading would be great.

*Edit: On second thought, defragging probably wouldn't benefit from multi-threading. Even if your computer has more than one CPU core, defragging is much more hard drive intensive than CPU intensive, so performance would suffer from multiple concurrent operations.

4. Any plans for a scheduler? That's the only real advantage the commercial packages have over Defraggler right now.

Great program though, thanks, and keep up the great work!

I would like to see a command-line option that would let me sequentially defrag multiple drives.

Something like this:

defraggler c: d: /complete

That would do the equivalent of:

-- Open defraggler

-- select drive c

-- click the defrag button

-- When defrag of c is finished, do same for drive d

Defraggler gets better with every new release, and it has become my favorite defragmenting program.

There is one thing about it that I have always disliked, and continue to dislike: When the drive status is on the screen and the defragmenter is running, the names of the files being defragged are displayed across the bottom of the screen. That's an invasion of privacy. I don't want casual passers-by to see the names of my files. There should be an option to turn this off.

Of course, if the "file list" tab is selected, that's a different story. If I click that tab then obviously I do want to see the filenames.

Have any of ya'll tried UltimateDefrag? Unfortunately it is not free, but one of the features is the ability to "archive" files to the center core of the HD (where it is slowest) and prioritize commonly used applications like games or the Windows directory to the outer core (where it is fastest).

Been using it for awhile and it seems to be a nice feature, so why not include it?

As you said this is a nice feature, but I think it's complicated as is in ultimate defrag, I've read the manual and I couldn't make it work as exactely as i wanted.

It's a nice suggestion but making it simplier and mmore effective than in UD it would be better, only moving and solely moving the folders that are checked and nothing more.

AZ

A minimize to tray option would be great!

Do you mean like this one?

t1541_tray.png

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Allright, a feature I miss after installing the most recent version of Defraggler is a queue. It would be a terrific improvement to add such thing. At the moment, I have 5 physical drives, and it would be great to be able to queue a full defragmentation of all drives, and just start the application before bed time. It would all be done until morning :)

Another thing, am I'm the only one who gets the program to hung up while pressing "Action > Defrag Drive" while defraging? I guess you shouldn't press that one during a defragmentation thou :)

Thanks for a great software!

Sincerely,

Linus Waerner

• 2 weeks later...

In Defraggler 1.02.085 there's something odd. In the drivemap one can not see where the file called Pagefile is located. On my computer drive C: has a size of 11 GB and the Pagefile occupies (at least) approx. 300 MB, so it should be visible somewhere in the drivemap.

Perhaps it's the intention of the programmakers to NOT show this pagefile in the drivemap any more ? Then of course, the socalled "Drive map legend" should be modified accordingly.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

I would like to suggest an ability to ignore certain folders while analyzing. This will work like the 'Exclude' in CCleaner - nothing will be automatically ignored unless you add a folder to the list.

I feel no need to defrag my Temporary internet folder as its going to be emptied after a day or two anyway.

I also need such a functionality. I often defrag my System- and Program-partition and there is really no need to defrag my download-temp-folder or my system-temp-folder. Also I don't need to defrag my picture-folder.

It would be very nice to have a kind "exclusion/ignore list" that can be feeded with folders, file-types and wildcasts !!!

Also I want to have an option that says wether Defraggler shows up /System-Volume-Information or /RECYCLE files. I don't need to defrag them..

Another feature I would suggest is to memorize the positions of the horizontal splitter. I always have to move the upper splitter down to see all my hard disks :(

hello, all

2 small suggestions

Translation of texts in different languages with CCleaner

Support extended to various languages

thank you in advance and good luck

Versions FR:

bonjour,a tous

2 petites suggestions

Traduction des textes en divers langues comme avec CCleaner

Support ?tendue au divers langues

merci d'avance et bon courage

hello, all

2 small suggestions

Translation of texts in different languages with CCleaner

Support extended to various languages

thank you in advance and good luck

Versions FR:

bonjour,a tous

2 petites suggestions

Traduction des textes en divers langues comme avec CCleaner

Support ?tendue au divers langues

merci d'avance et bon courage

Hello patrox82,

Welcome to the forums. :D

I am a little confused as to your meaning.

The CCleaner program is available in approx. 35 languages.

Is this what you mean or are you meaning translation of other things. Are you referring to Defraggler and not CCleaner as stated in your post ? Maybe this is what you meant to say. I am not sure.

:) davey