Defraggler suggestions

StuartUK

• 3 weeks later...

@ bobac:

The Windows register consists of a number of separate files. In Windows XP these files all are in the C:\Windows directory. So, when one defrags that entire directory then the register is defragmented as well.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

It would be great to move files to desired locations on the disk. So if I have a file (or number of files) that I want to increase I/O performance on, I could move them to the outer tracks of the drive because it spins faster than the inside.

I realize this is a tall order, but I really think it would make Defraggler stand much further out from the competition.

It would be great to move files to desired locations on the disk. So if I have a file (or number of files) that I want to increase I/O performance on, I could move them to the outer tracks of the drive because it spins faster than the inside.

I realize this is a tall order, but I really think it would make Defraggler stand much further out from the competition.

This is a great idea, I think I suggested it myself -

I take a somewhat dim view of other suggestions as defraggler speed and simplicity are worth preserving.

In particular I do not want background monitoring. That keeps my USB external drive from inactivity power down, i.e. monitoring keeps it awake. I have found that defrags that appear to let you disable monitoring still keep drive awake.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey. I have just one suggestion to make about the software. I suggest to add a button "default colors" in the window which is useful to customize colors. I think it would be great to be able to restore the basis colors. That's all. I think this software is just great, there is nothing to add about it... Thx again for this software.

A usefull feature Defraggler needs, is the ability to select multiple drives to defrag. I have 3 hard drives I use for various files, storage, dvr, etc...and typically like to defrag all the hard drives together but it would be so much easier to just select all the drives and tell it to defragment them as normal, so when it finishes with one drive, it automatically moves on to the next drive and defragments it, and so on until it's done with the selected drives. This would be especially helpful so I can let it run while I goto work, or when I goto sleep and just let it run. :blink:

C:\System Volume Information\ should be excluded by default and should not count when calculating fragmentation. Lots of users are confused because of this.

Agreed strongly. This was driving me batty yesterday. :angry: I could not find out why I am still 18% fragmented and defraggler was moving files around but never changing the one file that was fragmented. When I first ran defraggler it got down to 14% fragmented, but with only that one file it is now up to 18%. It makes no sense whatsoever.

I would like to see some of the following introduced into Defraggler.

When browsing the settings and options menu, I would like to see a help button to describe what each option does. There is a small question mark at the top left of the options window, but it doesn't do anything.

Have a list of the excluded folders that are excluded by default and greyed out, just to show us what folders they are.

Maybe show another percent complete counter, for large files or for files that will take over 30 secs to complete.

Show a 'Check Updates' option in the help dropdown menu.

Have an option to move folders to the start of the drive.

Have an option, somewhere, to show some drive information, like, make, model, SMART information.

Using the SMART information from the drive, show the current health status of any drive.

Have an option to report bugs, or faults, with a small diagnostic of the system, like windows version, amount of memory, list of hard drives installed, version of Defraggler, etc.

Show the version of Defraggler in the title bar, like CCleaner.

Maybe introduce an all-in-one package, that includes, Defraggler, CCleaner, and Recuva.

Have an option to minimize Defraggler to the system tray area.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

And a big THANKS for all your hard work in all of your products. I use them everyday and I also say to everyone to use your products, as they are fast, and safe, and easy to use.

Defraggler is really great, and the ability to exclude files is really nice. I have noticed two things though with the exclude list that could be improved though.

1) The items should be a check list so that you can uncheck them rather than have to delete them. This way you can do a defrag of these items on occasion if you want to.

2) If you select a file in the file list that is "excluded" you should still be able to defrag this file. Right now it doesn't let you. If you manually find and select the file it should be able to be defragged.

3) The same should work to move the files to the end of the drive. In fact, there should be a way of ONLY defragging and moving the files to the end of the drive that you've selected. This would be really handy actually.

Thanks again for an amazing application (They're all great).

I made this suggestion in a reply to another topic. I didn't know if it would be seen, so here it is again:

There should be an option to similar to "Move large files to end of drive during whole drive defrag" (on the Defrag tab) but for folders.

There are certain folders that contain files that constantly change, e.g., "temp" folders and folders with antivirus definition files. If these folders could be specified, any files contained in these folders would be pushed to the end and would not get mixed in with the less frequently changed files. This would reduce refragmentation and subsequent runs of defraggler would be faster since it only has to defrag the files at the end of the drive.

I really like Defraggler though I miss something from Diskeeper or Windows Disk Defragmenter : the possibility to defragment multiple drives at once. Now, this was nice as I could let it run at night and not having to wake up every hour or so to change the disk to defragment.

Although this was less effective, it was practical. Thus, I was wondering if it would be possible to make a "mix" of the two options and have a queing option, so that once it has finished defragmenting one drive it automatically goes on to the next one on the list.

Thanks and keep up the good work

Erwan

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all i'm new to the site, and i have been using defraggler for a few years now.

I have a few suggestions that, to me, would improve my experience with defraggler:

- Auto shutdown when completed a defrag (for those overnight 'tune-ups')

- Queueing of drives to defrag.

- A "defrag all" button would be useful, but not necessary if we can queue dives manually. (i have a few externals that i like to keep just-so)

Hi,

First at all, thanks for the greatest software (ccleanger and defraggler)!

And now a suggestion: About big files, is it possible to include more/advance filters?

I think something like:

*.srt|*.ass|*.ssa > 1kb (subtitles files, in other words, small files, that will never change again!)

*.avi|*.mkv|*.flv > 100mb

c:\anything\anyFolder\* ---> maybe I have a folder with files that I never modify, like backup of my school works

!c:\anything\anyFolder\secretsThatAlways change\* ---> Why not an ! to exclude?

And Why these filters don?t work on quick defrag, or on defrag seleceted files?

Why it? Because I, for example, use my pc in a normal way, what means that I have only one partiton with all the data, and knows that files that will not change are better in the end of partition/disk, but only the size filter are not enought to put all these files in the end!

• 2 weeks later...

I like to use CCleaner and Defraggler although I use JKDefrag once in a while as well. It's my experience that large files open faster when they're (less) defragmented. So, in general I defragment large files (> ~ 500 kb) only and that's why I appreciate the possibility of manually defragmenting individual files in Defraggler.

In v1.15 I came across three minor errors/weird things.

1. Click on "Settings", "General". The last option in the section "Advanced" ("Show cleanup drive prompt before defrag") isn't automatically translated when one changes the language. I can change the language from Dutch to English, German or Spanish but this particular text remains in English. This is clearly a programming error.

2. I used the "Defrag Freespace" option but according to the drivemap this option refused to move a number of files which were located at the end of a drive, more towards the beginning of the drive, in spite of the fact that there was enough room for them to be moved to. I tried to use that option a number of times and the "Defrag freespace (allow fragmentation)" option as well but to no avail. The files simply refused to be moved.

However, when I placed the mouse cursor on those particular files the message "No files are in the block" appeared. And clicking on the "Analyze" button didn't change this situation either.

Perhaps I am the only one with this problem ??

Perhaps these files are system files (e.g. $MFT) which can't be moved ? But then I would suggest that these files should be marked as such, in a special and different colour.

See attachment for a picture of the situation

3. When I use Defraggler I always start with the dutch language version. Before analyzing any drive in the column "Fragmentation" the correct words always show up (that's e.g. "Onbekend" in the dutch version, or "Unknown" in the english version).

But EVERY time I change the language (e.g from Dutch to German, or Spanish), using the "Settings" menu either with or without clicking "OK", every word in the main screen and in that menu is automatically translated/changed except the words (if there are any !!) in the column "Fragmentation". So, when changing the language the column "Fragmentation" is simply ignored. The only way to persuade the program to translate one word in that column for a selected drive is to (re-)analyze that particular selected drive.

The program also simply refuses to translate a word in the column "Fragmentation" when one analyzes a drive and that particular drive is empty (e.g. a 3.5"" floppy drive station) and an error is generated.

• 3 weeks later...

? have installed v1.16 today and the program has the same two bugs as v1.15. In post #325 I detailed what those two bugs were (#1 and #3). Or perhaps the programmers hadn't time yet to improve the program the way I suggested ?

I think the option to give the user the ability to change the colors of the drive map, in the section "General", simply bloats the program. In this particular case I would use the word "KISS": i.e. "Keep It Simple St**id".

Hi, I was wondering why I couln't sort the list of the files while I am running the defragmentation? I mean to click above the table with the files and sort them by name or fragments (etc.) why the application is running a defragmentation. very sad ;)

Don't know if this has been suggested, but for me anytime I plug in a USB device like a flash drive while Defraggler is running, and they try to safely remove it, I get a message that it's in use by a program, which turns out to be that Defraggler is 'using' the drive and I can't safely remove it till I close Defraggler. :huh: This has happened on multiple OSes and computers...

Please fix so that we can remove USB devices while Defraggler is running!!!

i have been using defraggler for a few years now.

I have a few suggestions that, to me, would improve my experience with defraggler:

- Auto shutdown when completed a defrag (for those overnight 'tune-ups')

That's already there! Click on Settings at the top, then in the drop-down menu click on the final option "Shutdown after Defrag"... When finished it counts down from about 60 seconds before shutting the PC down.

Hi.

Great program, but, what I miss the most from this program compared to others is a Progress Bar.

This is very useful to see how much longer the program has to go before it completes.

Can this be implemented at all. Especially is you want this to go in to competition with anything else out there.

Many thanks.

Steve.