Defraggler suggestions

StuartUK

Does the Piriform team actually ever READ this stuff? or take any of it into consideration?

Cause I realize I've posted here before many many months ago, and no answers were given then either.

Is this section of the forum only here to defer requests and helpful ideas to the void?

Does the Piriform team value our suggestions? or are we talking to ourselves, so that we are not -bothering- them?

Suggestion: reward suggestions with moderator feedback.

I can only guess that the team reads the suggestions and mulls them over in a committee meeting and decides if they want to adopt some of the better ideas, which is what I see in my own work experience. There are so many suggestions offered it would be ludicrous to expect adopting all of them, they can't let the programs grow into behemoth bloatware. They probably prefer keeping the current size with only the necessary tweaking to improve functionality.

One must understand that for free programs they offer much value at no cost to the user. I believe Piriform programs attract so many users because they are relatively easy to use as well as free of charge.

• Moderators

The devs do indeed read all suggestion on all 4 of the Piriform products. That is how and why new versions of each product are brought out. In addition to the suggestions they also track the bug report areas.

I think it would be unreasonable to expect Piriform to reply to every suggestion. These are all free products for our use. The forum here is manned by moderators who all give their time free, also the many members who daily give advice and help to folk like yourself.

Please don't see this as a negative reply, this is a positive place and the frequency of the product updates reflects that.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

kroozer and hazelnut you've both been very positive.

I'm happy to at least get a reply for the first time in 3 months. (from both of you.)

I'm not usually one to rely on faith alone.

"Suggestion threads" feel a little too much like "praying to god" for me, waiting on the hope of an answer. :P

If your Christian, then there should only be one god. :P

If your Atheist, there shouldn't be any gods.

In lots of other cultures, there are many gods.

I'd rather not have to submit my suggestions on faith and prayer that they are even being looked at.

There is enough enigma's in the universe! *^p^*

I do "Hope" they read this forum and do indeed in their infinite wisdom take pity on the meager pleas of their faithful user base, and answer our prayers.

I will await the sign of a burning pear tree! lawl

Just fooling around. Seriously guys, say hello in this thread more often!

Nom!

tbe

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd like to throw my vote behind an extra menu item called "Exit after Defrag." It could go beneath Settings > Shutdown after Defrag.

I often like to run Defraggler after we close up shop for the night and I want to keep the computer running without my staff needing to see the Defraggler screen when they open up in the morning.

Otherwise, awesome product!

Eric

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First of all, I am a huge fan of Piriform, and have everyone I know using their products. I have compared Defraggler to a large number of professional defragment programs, and compared to Defraggler, they have failed miserably.

The only thing I cannot do with a Piriform product, is defrag my registry. Defragging the registry isn't the most important thing, but if Piriform included that in some way, they would certainly encompass all basic maintenance.

Thank you for making such a quality product!!!

• Moderators

Yes .

oops I missed this one. If you are willing to do a translation, please PM the Admin MrRON and he will set you up with how to translate. And thank you for your interest in contributing

First of all, I am a huge fan of Piriform, and have everyone I know using their products. I have compared Defraggler to a large number of professional defragment programs, and compared to Defraggler, they have failed miserably.

The only thing I cannot do with a Piriform product, is defrag my registry. Defragging the registry isn't the most important thing, but if Piriform included that in some way, they would certainly encompass all basic maintenance.

Thank you for making such a quality product!!!

Defragging the Registry is useless at best and dangerous to your PC at worst (if you search both this and the ccleaner boards you'll find many people asking for this and realativly the same answer I gave you)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

First of all, congrats for this mini super-tool. It is a very good defrag program (fast, small, light on resources). However i have some suggestion to make and if they are implemented, they could make this little thing better than PerfectDisk, which in my opinion is the best defragger out there right now, although paid.

1)Add a form of defragment "Defrag by Frequency". So that Defraggler will see which files are most frequently used, and put them to the beginning of the drive(the fastest part of the drive) to achieve maximum performance gains. Create file groups (frequently used, moderately used, rarely used) to sort them from the beginning of the drive to the end, respectively.

2)Leave free space gaps (they could also be user-defined!) between the file groups to lessen future fragmentation.

3)Defragment the boot/locked files. They should be placed in the very beginning of the disk, even before the most frequently used files!

First of all I totally agree with johny.xmarks and would LOVE defraggler to get to the same level PerfectDisk is with sorting by frequency, in zones and with spaces between them !

+2 from me ! :)

A few small UI improvements I'd suggest:

- The 'Drive map' button is more or less useless or misplaced on the home screen and should only be available through the options menu

- There's no button for quick-access to boot time defrag (it's hidden under options/defrag and stays at the bottom)

- Tune the analyze and defrag buttons on the home screen ('analyze' should point to analyze/verify and 'defrag' to defrag/quick defrag/defrag freespace/boot time defrag)

- With this you could completely cross out the file toolbar (action/settings etc.) like you do with ccleaner and e.g. replace it with a wrench button (like in chrome) and a question mark or something like this

I hope I could help. ;) Besides: GREAT products you produce !

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Maybe it will be better to make drive map modern style colors more saturated and gradient effect less strong?

You can already set custom colors in defraggler

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 2 weeks later...

I have two ideas for defragger:

1. "custom location" Or "lock to Sector" defragging: To be able to choose where a file or folder is located on the hard drive.

For ex: System Restore folder: I like to be be able to keep this folder near the end (about a 1 to 2 GB from the end of the drive.) That way its not fragment all the way through the drive.

Or maybe the temps files for AVG, and Spy Sweeper. I can have those towards the end so they can be continuously over written, and it will not cause fragmentation thought the drive. Or keep "My Documents" in one area of the drive.

2. "Folder" Defragging. Where to can choose to keep all the files in one folder together. So they are next to each other.

Few more things:

let us schedule not just drives, but even folders (all files in a certain folder) and the reason to this is that I use my web browser almost all the time and its cache is always becoming a mess in less than a day. And by mess I mean 300+ fragments in 10-30 MB files. Scheduling defrag on the whole drive is taking too long because it's a big partition, but defraging those cache files is taking like 1-2 minutes. So an automatic defrag schedule in every couple hours would be great. Or as an alternative, after a certain amount of time the user is idle, an automated defragmentation would start (like screensaver).