Memory

Canary

What's the cheapest way to buy, say, 15GB of additional memory? Would it be a memory stick?

Also, are there any such devices that are password-enabled?

15GB of memory?!?! What do you intend doing that needs that?

15GB of memory?!?! What do you intend doing that needs that?

I've got a number of movies that I've downloaded plus something like 3,000 old cassettes from my youth that I want to turn into MP3 files. I reckon I actually need about 11GB, but I thought I'd get a bit more space for the future.

Any ideas?

• Moderators
I've got a number of movies that I've downloaded plus something like 3,000 old cassettes from my youth that I want to turn into MP3 files. I reckon I actually need about 11GB, but I thought I'd get a bit more space for the future.

Any ideas?

Are you perhaps talking about 15GB of Hard Disk space instead? Or perhaps I've misunderstood what you're asking.

If you ever convert those downloaded movies with something like Avi2Dvd it may require up to 9.4GB itself just to convert one movie before you could burn it to DVD Video.

As for the space required for 3000 audio cassettes that's a bit of a guess how much space you'd actually need and it would solely depend upon the bitrate you encode at. Just guessing off the top of my head you'll need a much bigger HDD than 15GB for 3000 audio cassettes, especially if you want to encode them using a high quality bitrate or with something like LAME's high quality VBR settings.

• Moderators

Once you've got all your cassettes on hard drive and then converted to MP3, you could always store them on blank DVD's.

You've got 4.7 Gb of space per DVD, and they're very cheap.

Just a thought. (Assuming you have a DVD writer)

:)

ps. I don't envy you trying to copy 3000 cassettes in real time, and that's just the first stage. :huh:

• Moderators
ps. I don't envy you trying to copy 3000 cassettes in real time, and that's just the first stage. :huh:

I totally agree! I only had 40 or so when I did all mine back in '03 and it was a rather long drawn out ordeal. If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't, and would instead just go buy used CD's at the local record store and from pawn shops - that is except for some of my imported music from Europe from many unsigned bands and bands on really small labels.

Thanks for all your help so far, guys.

I like the idea of using a DVD writer to put the movies on to disc, but I don't have one on my laptop. Is there such a thing as an add-on DVD writer? And if so, are there any recommendations?

• Moderators
Thanks for all your help so far, guys.

I like the idea of using a DVD writer to put the movies on to disc, but I don't have one on my laptop. Is there such a thing as an add-on DVD writer? And if so, are there any recommendations?

Yep, there're plenty of external DVD writers available, connected via USB, although I couldn't recommend one as I don't have one.

I should imagine they're all much of a muchness, but if it's any help I have Samsung and LG internal DVD writers, and they perform well with no problems.

External writers are usually just internal writers with a case and a separate power supply and USB connection, and cost a little more.

Prices vary a lot, so I'd shop around, and maybe the guys on here might have some recommendations.

Hope this helps.

Yep, there're plenty of external DVD writers available, connected via USB, although I couldn't recommend one as I don't have one.

I should imagine they're all much of a muchness, but if it's any help I have Samsung and LG internal DVD writers, and they perform well with no problems.

External writers are usually just internal writers with a case and a separate power supply and USB connection, and cost a little more.

Prices vary a lot, so I'd shop around, and maybe the guys on here might have some recommendations.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot Dennis. I'll now try to find some recommendations!

• Moderators
I'll now try to find some recommendations!

You'll probably find a good deal on the Internet versus buying the drive from a local store. I know I can get drives for 50% less money, and have many more to choose from at websites like NewEgg.com, etc., versus visiting local stores.