CCleaner and AT&T Internet Security Suite

larry39

I ran into a problem with the Registry Cleaner and AT&T Internet Security Suite. Seems to be a false issue report.

I ran the registry function and got the following issue:

Problem Data Registry Key

Obsolete Software Key Antivirus HKLM\Software\Antivirus

I backed up the entry and had CCleaner fix the issue. The next time I booted my system, the antivirus part of the AT&T Security Suite did not start.

I merged the backup file, rebooted and all was OK.

The backup file contained:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Antivirus]

@=""

I am using windows XP Home SP2 and CCleaner ver 2.03.532

Is this a problem with CCleaner or the AT&T software.

BTW, CCleaner is a great program. Kudos to the developers.

• 3 weeks later...

In case any program developers read this thread....

A registry scan with CCleaner version 2.04.543 still shows the empty AT&T antvirus key as an issue. I still have to de-select it before I fix issues. Since CCleaner is supposed to ignore empty keys, is there anything unique about this one that causes it to be flagged?

Mw experience with regedit is limited but this is what I found. This is probably over simplified because I'm not sure what is important and what isn't.

In regedit, I clicked on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then Software, saw a folder (hive?) named Antivirus, and clicked on it.

In the right pane Name column was ab (default), in the type column was REG_SZ, there was no entry in the data column.

Lower down in the left pane Software column was another folder called Command Software with a sub of Command Antivirus. Cliked on it and it contained the same information.

Oddly I did not see anything listed in the registry that seemed to relate specifically to the AT&T Security suite. It has to be there but evidently with an obscure (or third party contractor's) name.

Lower down in the left pane Software column was another folder called Command Software with a sub of Command Antivirus. Cliked on it and it contained the same information.

So that "Command Software" key was another key/folder, not a sub folder of "Antivirus" key?

That's correct. One folder in Software called Antivirus with no sub folders.

Another folder in Software called Command Software with a sub folder called Command Antivirus.

Both the Antivirus and Command Antivirus had the same info.

• Moderators

To exclude that registry key in CCleaner here's how to do it:

1. Run CCleaner.
  2. Click Options, click Exclude, then click Add Registry.
  3. Select where the key is stored in the registry, i.e.;
    HKCU = HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    -or-
    HKLM = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
  4. Type in the path, i.e.;
    Software\Antivirus

Screenshot:

ccregexclude646.png

If CCleaner doesn't allow you to input the exclusion (sometimes that happens) it can be manually added if you have CCleaner store its setting in an INI file (CCleaner.ini) - available in Options->Advanced, Save all settings to INI file:

How it could or may look if manually inputted into CCleaner.ini:

Exclude1=REG|HKCR\Software\Antivirus

-or-

Exclude1=REG|HKLM\Software\Antivirus

Thanks, I will do that for the Antivirus and Command Software Antivirus keys since I am not sure which one is the problem.

I am still curious though about the root cause. Is CCleaner supposed to ignore null keys?

• Moderators
Is CCleaner supposed to ignore null keys?

I don't for sure. I do know that many registry cleaners will detect some empty parts of the registry as invalid, when in fact the key is needed however in some cases it doesn't cause any problems. In other cases it can cause an application to fail and stop working resulting into either a full reinstall, or repair installation.