cclistview.ocx TROJAN?

goberlin

When I try to run CCleaner I get popup from PCdoctor that a trojan (TROJAN.TAGASAURUS) exists and it names the CCleaner file cclistview.ocx file.

My version of PCdoctor is not registered. I uninstalled CCleaner and reinstalled with same results. Any one have an idea? I guess I could remove PCdoctor and rely on CCleaner only. The last time I used CCleaner was about 2 weeks ago and no problems then.

When I try to run CCleaner I get popup from PCdoctor that a trojan (TROJAN.TAGASAURUS) exists and it names the CCleaner file cclistview.ocx file.

My version of PCdoctor is not registered. I uninstalled CCleaner and reinstalled with same results. Any one have an idea? I guess I could remove PCdoctor and rely on CCleaner only. The last time I used CCleaner was about 2 weeks ago and no problems then.

false positive :)

Are you talking about Spyware Doctor? If so there is a version that is free from pack.google.com that is the same as the full version except for some of the active protection features are disabled. Also you can get Spyware Doctor for $20 per year.

When you want to buy protection, search for the product name and "coupon code" in the same search and you'll find good deals. For instance: "SpySweeper coupon code", or "Spyware Doctor coupon code". Both of these are excellent.

As for your problem if you are using PC Doctor, I couldn't find anything current about it. Is it the software that came with your computer form the vendor, Compaq, hp, or Gateway? If that's the one, I wouldn't bother using it.

For free protection I would suggest, AVG Free, BitDefender, AntiVir, or Avast. Anti-Spyware, Spyware Doctor from the Google Pack, AdAware, Spybot Search and Destroy, and for online scans do the Trend Micro House Calls. The Norton Scanner offered with the Google Pack is more of a headache than is worth having.

http://www.viclovan.com/how_to.htm

B) All that being said, it was a false positive just like q said. There's nothing malicious about CCleaner. While I've had an issue with CCleaner in the past it was minor glitches(and hopefully being looked into), and cleaning ease of use that it provides is second to none. About the false positive, I'm a tech and I use, and have used, many security programs in the past and have not had even one of them id CCleaner.

=====================================

EDIT!!!

I have to eat SOME of my words! In order to do that though, I had to use old versions of both programs. I now think you must have been using Spyware Doctor for sure. I had to work on a machine today with version 1.41 of CCleaner and as soon as I tried to open it, Spyware Doctor popped up a warning that it had blocked CCleaner. Before I updated Spyware Doctor, I updated CCleaner and that solved the problem and opened up just fine. I then updated Spyware Doctor as well. I would be willing to bet that CCleaner was old on your system and that's what caused the false positive.

Also if your Spyware Doctor isn't registered because you already have the free version from Google you are fine but I might update it.

Below is what was listed in the log for Spyware Doctor.

1/14/2008 5:58:41 PM:748

OnGuard: System Event Blocked

Threat Name - Trojan.Tagasaurus

Details - Spyware Doctor has blocked an application attempting to access a file.

Risk Level - High

Infection - C:\PROGRAM FILES\CCleaner\CCLISTVIEW.OCX

Edited by unclebic

I have run a scan with PC Tools Spyware Doctor ( Full paid up to date version) today& get the Tagasaurus warning - CCTreeview .ocx is the file as reported previously by others. If I look at the Properties of the file and in the "Company" slot it says "Company ", not Pirifirm as the main file does, for instance. All other details look normal- is this the genuine article or has a fake been slipped in somehow?

If so it would be interesting to know how it got there and if not, why does the spyware programme find it and rate it as high risk.

I also intend taking this up with PC Tools and will post their reply ( if I get one!)

I have run a scan with PC Tools Spyware Doctor ( Full paid up to date version) today& get the Tagasaurus warning - CCTreeview .ocx is the file as reported previously by others. If I look at the Properties of the file and in the "Company" slot it says "Company ", not Pirifirm as the main file does, for instance. All other details look normal- is this the genuine article or has a fake been slipped in somehow?

If so it would be interesting to know how it got there and if not, why does the spyware programme find it and rate it as high risk.

I also intend taking this up with PC Tools and will post their reply ( if I get one!)

As I mentioned in my 'edit' above, did you download the latest version of CCleaner? If not try that first. I was very surprised when Spyware Doctor tagged CCleaner, but it was an older version, and after doing the updates it seemed OK. I did do a scan of the CCleaner directory and an "intelliscan" and it came up clean. Also I suspect that the folks at Spyware Doctor will get this fixed soon.

I have run a scan with PC Tools Spyware Doctor ( Full paid up to date version) today& get the Tagasaurus warning - CCTreeview .ocx is the file as reported previously by others. If I look at the Properties of the file and in the "Company" slot it says "Company ", not Piriform as the main file does, for instance. All other details look normal- is this the genuine article or has a fake been slipped in somehow?

Have had a reply from PCTools- uninstall, re install newly downloaded version 5.5.039, update , re scan - guess what ?- no more false positives

Could it be that PC Tools actually took steps to rectify?