why does Recuva find files that CCleaner removed?

Wil

I have been using CCleaner for a while thinking it deleted internet files specifically. I ran Recuva today and found MANY picture files and others that were from the internet, even though I had ran CCleaner before. I have the 7 layer (NSA) level checked for overwriting, but if i go on the internet, close the browser, run CCleaner and then run Recuva it will pop those pictures i just saw on the internet up.

How do i get rid of them for real?

• Moderators

First the silly questions. Have you ticked the Tempoary Internet Files box on CCleaner?

What version of CC are you running (earlier versions did not overwrite temp internet files).

Hi, just read this post. I have recently downloaded Recuva and just encountered the same problem.

I a running CCleaner v2 03552 and have selcteed the 35 pass deletion and have been able to open deleted files. Even when they are a poor status. I am running vista home premium if that makes any difference.

Hi, just read this post. I have recently downloaded Recuva and just encountered the same problem.

I a running CCleaner v2 03552 and have selcteed the 35 pass deletion and have been able to open deleted files. Even when they are a poor status. I am running vista home premium if that makes any difference.

Which browser?

In Internet Explorer, if you have "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed" enabled, the files are deleted by IE so CCleaner doesn't see them as files to be wiped. Also, if you have the size of the folder set too low, when it reaches capacity, old files get bumped out and you get the same effect.

If it's another browser, others may have suggestions.

Im using windows XP - CCleaner 2.01.507- I use Internet explorer 7 and the laterst version of Firefox and I have the temporary Internet Files box checked.

Any ideas?

In Internet Explorer, if you have "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed" enabled, the files are deleted by IE so CCleaner doesn't see them as files to be wiped. Also, if you have the size of the folder set too low, when it reaches capacity, old files get bumped out and you get the same effect.

Im using windows XP - CCleaner 2.01.507- I use Internet explorer 7 and the laterst version of Firefox and I have the temporary Internet Files box checked.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Get a small harddisk for your OS!

Format that drive you use now with an external harddisk enclosure & then wipe it with that heidi eraser program.

Or, incinerate it, give it an acid bath, weld it to a lump, run over it with a train, sledge hammer it senseless, drill holes in the platters....

Use proper protection when following these extreme measures!

• 3 weeks later...

Just done a test myself. On 7 pass deletion, or 35 pass deletion, erased files can still be recovered using a recovery program. (Files deleted using "eraser" can't be recovered with this program.

It would seem, on the face of it, that CCleaner's secure delete feature is not effective.

Hello Tarq57,

Please explain how you did your testing.

You must not forget that CCleaner does not clean or secure delete files that have already been deleted

by some other program.It only secure deletes files that it CCleans.CCleaner was never designed to look for deleted files.

That function has been relegated to Recuva which will completely erase deleted files based upon user request.This is currently being tested and developed with member assistance and improvement suggestions being cosidered.

Eraser" erases files that have been only previosly deleted.

All designed to perform different functions.

Regards,

:) davey

P.S. This is not to deny that problems may exist,but to help explain some of the complexities involved in this testing process.

Your testing efforts are very well appreciated by the developers and other members involved with this testing process.

Hello Davey,

The version of CCleaner is 2.04.543.

I'm referring to files that CCleaner has deleted with a 7 (or 35) pass option selected. Those were the only two options tested.

The method (stumbled upon) was to delete the contents of a folder, not particularly large, about 5 files totaling about 4Mb.

(These files had not previously been deleted, erased, or otherwise messed with. They were a .mpg, a couple of jpegs, and some texts.)

Subsequently, out of curiosity, ran a program called "restoration", by Brian Kato, and was able to restore these "secure deleted" files intact.

Files that have been deleted (erased) using "eraser" (the program) were not recoverable, nor identifiable.

"Recovery" finds a lot of zero byte references, and names of stuff that once existed, but no more. But in the case of files deleted by CCleaner (in this instance, anyway) the full file name is there, and it is immediately identifiable, and takes but seconds to recover intact.

This is the only version of CCleaner that I know this has happened with. It possibly happened with earlier versions, but was not observed.

Some time ago I installed "Recuva", but ran into a problem that had also been previously reported, so uninstalled it. Not used it since.

Thanks Tarq57,

This gives us a good idea of your test.

How was this folder or individual files (5) set up for deletion.Include option? - Drag and drop 1 folder or 5 files? Drag and drop into a Temp file?

Please be specific.

What Cleaner options were selected?

How long did the Cleaner take to run.

What was shown in the Deleted files report?

All this information may help get a fix in the next version of CCleaner.

Thanks again for being an active member of the forum,

1) Drag and drop one folder, into the "include" area in "options". In this case, it reads "D:\Incomplete\*.* which is the folder for partial Limewire downloads, any junk or unwanted (or dodgy misnamed) files I clear at the end of every browsing/p2p session. The contents of the folder, regardless of size, are thus deleted. (It doesn't amount to much, as I've mostly got the hang of what is likely to be junk vs wanted. Maybe 1-5Mb, usually.)

2) See screenshots. At the bottom of the second (applications) screenshot is a "Windows" section. The only item selected is "MS wordpad".

3) No idea, sorry. Nor have I kept a record. But it regularly, on cleaning, shows an amount cleaned commensurate with what I've been doing. [Edit] including D:\Incomplete.

Hope this helps.

post-8115-1202623671_thumb.jpg

post-8115-1202623680_thumb.jpg

post-8115-1202623671_thumb.jpg

post-8115-1202623680_thumb.jpg

use Recuva and recover all those pic files you wanna delete permanently in a new folder, then run Eraser on those files...

Now turn off your "Empty Temp files" feature in IE7 tools\programs...

keep this feature checked in CCleaner and check for any repition of the earlier mentioned problem..

use Recuva and recover all those pic files you wanna delete permanently in a new folder, then run Eraser on those files...

That won't work, you'll just be erasing the recovered copies, the original recoverable files will still be on the disk till overwritten.

• 2 weeks later...
Any news/progress/instructions or requests on this, please?

Hello Targ57,

I didn't mean to leave you the impression that there was any "official" members project as regards

secure deletion in CCleaner.

At the time of your testing there were other members doing testing and reporting their results.

This testing reporting does help the development team find specific and "bugs " that occur under circumstances that they can not be expected to test.Our feedback is important especially after new versions are released.

Have you had time to do any tests in this regards since the last release? v 2.05.555?

Have you noticed any improvements in secure deletion performance.I heard that they planned to include

wiping or changing of the original file name.

I don't do as much daily volume cleaning as you do.

I am sure they wouldn't mind getting some more feedback.

Thanks for your past testing reports.