CCleaner keeps running

jhn

The latest version is installed. When I run the cleaner, it just keeps running and running until it seems to simply time out.

If I run it and wait a moment and then hit the cancel button, CCleaner lists the files that were removed. If I hit the run cleaner button and then the cancel button again, I am informed that there was nothing to clean and that, basically, we are all done. If I had not interrupted the cleaner, it would just have kept running - seemingly forever. This seems like a bug to me. I did read the post where another user switched back to an older version of CCleaner. I do not believe that is an acceptable fix for the problem I am experiencing. I emailed Piriform/CCleaner, but all I got was an automated answer suggesting this forum, and there are no instructions on how to post. I am a newbie and a dummy when it comes to computing. I think it's dumb to be complaining about a free program. Nevertheless, I am complaining. The last update to CCleaner fixed a problem that CCleaner was not cleaning all the temp internet files. CCleaner is a great program. I don't need it to run for one or two minutes when it actually does the job in a second or so.

• Moderators

I asked because if you were using a multiple overwrite (which is a waste of time) and had a lot of data to delete then it might seem that CC is running forever.

Assuming that you don't have hundreds of gbs to delete then I've no answer, except wait for the imminent new release. I usually delete around 10 to 20 gb at a time, and if I run Analyze first (which I don't do very often) it does take a modest time, about 1-2 seconds a gig. The delete however is very fast. So if you're just doing deletes then some time will be taken up with the analytical stage which you won't see.

Rgds.

I'm having the same difficulty - I can get a "complete analysis", but when I run the cleaner it just keeps running. The green progress bar continues to move across the screen, but nothing seems to be happening. I ctrl+alt+del and it show the program is running, but if I click the red X to close the program it vanishes immediately, and I have to restart the computer because windows hangs.