Top Security Software of 2007

q231

2007 has been a busy year when it comes to computer security, with all kinds of threats aiming to be deployed on people's computers. Trojan horses, malware, viruses, spam and hack attacks, they have all joined their forces to break into our systems. Because of that, security companies from all over the world struggled to build new solutions or to update the existing ones, just to prove the consumers that, somewhere beyond these attacks, there's someone who can protect them.

Link

I would add that in today's world you should be using not just antivirus and firewalls but the following as well

1) Smart behavior blocker e.g threatfire, norton antibot

2) dumb behavior blocker e.g System safety monitor, ProSecurity, eqsecure

3) Sandbox + optional application virtualization e.g sandboxie, safespace, geswall, defensewall

4) System virtualization and/or hardware virtualization. Returnril, Shadowdefender, shadowuser pro, vmware, virtualpc

5) specialized anti-x tools to counter specific threats (keyloggers, buffer-overflow etc) - comodo anti-bufferoverflow, keysrambler, FireLion] Anti Keyloggers

This doesn't mean you need 5 or more extra apps, since many standard antivirus and firewalls have began adding extra features that go beyond basic traditional antivirus features. For example, KAV, FSecure, Panda (none-suite versions), have (1) already. Many firewalls like Comodo firewall pro, Online Armor have (2) already etc.

Also (5) can be covered by both (2) and (3) in many cases, since many in (2) have genetic methods of blocking ALL keylogging and screen capture methods.. But personally i would have a seperate anti-buffer overflow just in case...

Personally I'm not in favour of having anti-spyware, anti-trojans etc (at least in real time, on demand is fine), since when it comes down to it they are using the same techniques as a broad-spectrum anti-virus (or rather anti-malware, since antiviruses today have finally recognized it is their duty to capture malware, anyhow antivirus in it's classic definition is seldom seen today anyway, it's all worms and trojans today!)

Edited by LUSHER

The topic posted at Softpedia is kinda like outdated. As LUSHER said, there are other security software that should be noticed. Blacklist software is always behind on what they're after. Traditional security is weakening day by day. Zero-day software has covered what traditional security is vulnerable at.

Ive recently become to understand the importance of a UTM appliance on the home network perimeter.

Sure Ive been involved with clients about enterprise UTMs and I thought that real solutions were five figures costing plus the ongoing support subscriptions.

Well, Untangle has changed all that. This is the first, IMHO, truly integrated UTM that people can run on cheap hardware for very little money.

Its far better to deal with nasties on the gateway than on your laptop or desktop, especially when many of you remain using relatively insecure OS's.

• 4 months later...

I use Avira Personal for my anti-virus. I have Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster and MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. I also have Arovax Shield (behavior blocker) and Arovax Smart Hide (online anonymity) and yeah...

I use Avira Personal for my anti-virus. I have Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster and MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. I also have Arovax Shield (behavior blocker) and Arovax Smart Hide (online anonymity) and yeah...

You actually have quite weak defenses imho.

Spywareblaster doesn't really do much in this day and age really. Activex isn't as big a problem as it was in the past (default settings in IE more than handles this anyway), and while the restricted zone list that spywareblaster imports into IE is fine, it is often too slow.

Spybot is another one that is over-rated and people are using it out of inertia. MBAM (assuming the free one) is a rising star and is getting good at *removal* but it provides only on demand and no-real time protection.

Essentially your real time protection comes down to Avira and Arovax shield.

I have nothing really bad to say about Avira personal except that there is no spyware protection. Arovax shield is probably the weakest hips you can find...

And no firewall?

I don't like firewalls that much. I've already tried three (Online Armor Free, Comodo 3, and Outpost) Online Armor and Comodo kept nagging me for every little thing that I tried to run, even the program that enables me to connect to the internet.

I don't like firewalls that much. I've already tried three (Online Armor Free, Comodo 3, and Outpost) Online Armor and Comodo kept nagging me for every little thing that I tried to run, even the program that enables me to connect to the internet.

I agree, Comodo is overkill for most people