Computer won't start after running CCleaner. HELP!

wembley61

My computer has died!

Hi. I was advised to run CCleaner on my desktop, and selected all the options and ran the program. Turned my computer off, and when I tried to restart it later, it doesn't boot up windows saying its got a problem with the windows login and a problem with the user interface, both some type of .dll files...

I tried using f5 at restart, and tried last known configuration, tried safe mode, and tried multiple normal reboots, but the same thing keeps happening and the last warning box about the user interface dll file only gives the option to restart.

I had made a backup of the registry before carrying out the cleaning, but those files are in my windows folders somewhere. What has happened? What can I do to bring my computer back to life?

After multiple fails, and trying the boot up recovery disk, the only outcome is an A:/ blinking dos cursor. Please help me out, what and how can I repair this probleM ?

• 3 weeks later...
My computer has died!

Hi. I was advised to run CCleaner on my desktop, and selected all the options and ran the program. Turned my computer off, and when I tried to restart it later, it doesn't boot up windows saying its got a problem with the windows login and a problem with the user interface, both some type of .dll files...

I tried using f5 at restart, and tried last known configuration, tried safe mode, and tried multiple normal reboots, but the same thing keeps happening and the last warning box about the user interface dll file only gives the option to restart.

I had made a backup of the registry before carrying out the cleaning, but those files are in my windows folders somewhere. What has happened? What can I do to bring my computer back to life?

After multiple fails, and trying the boot up recovery disk, the only outcome is an A:/ blinking dos cursor. Please help me out, what and how can I repair this probleM ?

Where is the support here??

No one can help this person??

CCleaner seems to be SWAMPED the so many friggen bugs!!! What's wrong?!?!

First of all, if you read the beginners guide, you would realized that the Advanced options should only be checked if you know what you are doing. Second, CCleaner has the power to possibly nuke a system, but that is only if:

A ) You installed necessary Windows files in locations other than the default, thereby causing them to be cleaned out.

B ) Some malware preexisting on your system has corrupted some files, causing more stuff to be deleted than necessary.

C ) In the last option in Advanced, the Custom Files and Folders tick box, had been modified to clean out important files or folders.

There was a situation/instance very similar to yours, where they tried blaming the program for their computer's non-ability to turn on -- if I remember correctly, the person had done somethings to their computer, but it had been settled outside the forum, between a Moderator and the member through Personal Messages (PM's.)

Overall, CCleaner on default settings should not cause you system to crash, unless something had changed it before.

AJ

• 4 weeks later...

System Restore will fix if you can not get with XP # 1 Boot hit f8 & pick Safe mode with a command prompt # 2 log on as Administrator account # 3 At the commard prompt type ' %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe ' # 4 follow the instructions to restore you PC to earlier State of operation :mellow::mellow:

thanks for the advice guys, but nothing worked and nothing really helped...

pc wouldnt start in safe mode, wouldnt give system restore, no options...

so eventually called an it repair engineer out, and he tried his best, but in the end we backed up my files to an external using some special windows boot cd, and then wiped the hard drive and started afresh reinstalling everything including windows.

from this experience, i'm never using CCleaner again and never recommending it. most software available now doesn't require you to read through the fine print/ manuals to figure out how to use them. if ccleaners advanced custom options wipe out important system files, then there should be a massive warning dialog box popping up stating the possible system failure since the advanced custom files are ticked, and asking you if you'd like to proceed wiping out important system files. using it cost me the price of calling out the engineer, and loads of stress.

windows was installed properly on my computer, files were in default locations.

from this experience, i'm never using CCleaner again and never recommending it.

I have not had a problem with any release of CCleaner hurting my 3 systems :)

post-1268-1202324837_thumb.png

post-1268-1202324837_thumb.png

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

YoKenny...I didn't mean that Advanced Tab..I meant the advanced checkbox under the Windows Tab under the Cleaner option.

@ Wembley --- Honestly, I don't know what to say. I have it running on 2 computers, plus a few others for friends and family, and have never had a problem. One comment is that some other person came on MONTHS ago and said that CCleaner had screwed their computer up. CCleaner can clean out important files, but it won't be default. Either something in your original Windows install got messed up, or some spyware screwed with it. There have problems, but nothing of your magnitude. I'm sorry this happened, but I do not think CCleaner is the blame for your problem.

Oh, and BTW, I'm one of the nice guys - I'm being realistic. AnthonyA would have called you "pretty dumb" for checking all the boxes and not having read the instruction manual. He also would have said this is entirely your fault. I am not...I'm saying that something must have been screwed up.

AJ

• Moderators
CCleaner seems to be SWAMPED the so many friggen bugs!!! What's wrong?!?!

No it isn't, and not a lot is wrong. There are thousands of users who are more than happy with CC, including me. This thread should be in the CC Discussion forum.

This is exactly what has happened on our side also. :angry:

The only difference that I can see is that we were using the /AUTO switch to allow for automatic cleaning.

The funny thing is that after running this /AUTO switch and then manually checking for crap finds that you

did not actually remove what would have if you would have manually ran the program and the Clean.

Come on now CCleaner and test your products thouroughly before "giving" it to us.

Maybe you just might get some of those Donations you all seek sooooo badly!

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=14404

Justin