Windows XP SP3 build 3264 RC1 beta

TwistedMetal

• Moderators

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Microsoft_Window...beta_d4323.html

I'm going to try it out on my desktop/gaming PC, I just recently rebuilt it.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

• Moderators

I don't either, but my laptop is my main computer. I just use my desktop to play CS:S and testing stuff. Since it is an RC I will try it.

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

I installed the RC1 when it first came out using the "hack" (http://dailyapps.net/2007/11/hack-attack-get-windows-xp-sp3-through-windows-update/). I've had no problems but I'd like to know whether I need to uninstall RC1 when the official release comes out? Or do I get the possibly modified packets through Windows Update?

I don't actually believe that the final release is going to be any/much different from RC1. With a release like this they just go through loooong testing phase.

• Moderators
I have read SP3 forces you to update to WMP11? Is this true?

Nope, it doesn't have WMP included. I still have WMP 9 installed.

WMP10 is ok for me though i never use it. i use MediaMonkey and WinAmp. SP3 is ways away.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

Wow!

336MB download.

I'm downloading it on my WinXP Home system right now.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Wow!

336MB download.

I'm downloading it on my WinXP Home system right now.

mine is only 70mb because i update regularly via Microsoft update :D but in any means i will only install this service pack when the final version comes out :D

mine is only 70mb because i update regularly via Microsoft update :D but in any means i will only install this service pack when the final version comes out :D

Yeah I do the same. SP3 includes all the patches and updates since SP2 was released I believe. So why would some one that has a fully patched SP2 need it? It will be great for when you need to to a reinstall of Windows though.

Here is a link to MS about SP3. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en It has a couple links at the bottom of the page that fully explain everything that comes with SP3. Other than giving you all the updates and patches, you already have if you keep Windows up to date, it doesn't add anything significant. From reading the article it sounds like SP3 contains all the updates and patches since XP was released. It says that a computer wit SP1 can install SP3. No need to install SP2 first. SP3 must have everything since XP was released than. Unless I'm understanding it wrong.

After reading the article again it clearly says SP3 contains all updates since XP was releaesd.

• Moderators

It doesn't show anything on my desktop about any time limit.

SP3 contains all Hotifxes for XP (includes IE6/IE7 updates, but does not contain IE7)

Networking:

"Black Hole" Router Detection

Network Access Point (NAP)

Functionality:

Descriptive Security Options User Inface

Enhanced Security for Administrator and Service policy entries

Microsoft Kernel Mode Cryptographic Module

Setup:

Windows Product Activation (Affects other Windows programs activation, this is not WGA)

It only contains a few new features, which I doubt most users will use. It should be a small update on Windows Update when it is released, since most people won't need all the updates.