Registry - Installer Reference Issue

adkr

When I ran my first registry scan a large number of files turned up with the heading "Installer Reference Issue". In the "Beginners Guide" it says that these are "Invalid paths to .exe files no longer there." Many of the programs listed I am using. Is it OK to delete an invalid paths without affecting the resident program? Thanks.

• Moderators

Installer reference issues will turn up usually when using Windows own built in Add/Remove programs, even if you don't uninstall anything they can be created.

If you're in anyway leary of deleting what's listed make sure you create the Backup when prompted to do so by the Registry cleaner, you could even go one step further create a System Restore point beforehand.

Installer reference issues will turn up usually when using Windows own built in Add/Remove programs, even if you don't uninstall anything they can be created.

If you're in anyway leary of deleting what's listed make sure you create the Backup when prompted to do so by the Registry cleaner, you could even go one step further create a System Restore point beforehand.

Thanks. I always back up before proceeding - learned the hard way years ago. So, if you don't hear a bloodcurtlling scream everything went OK.

• 11 months later...

I have run into this quite a bit also.

post-22021-1227500886_thumb.jpg

As you can see from the attachment the majority are from my current antivirus software, Norton which is combined with Symantec.

Why are they there? What makes them appear? Is it okay if I delete them? Will my antivirus still run okay? I bought this huge book on windows vista and it is "french" to me because I still have no idea which keys in the registry are okay and which aren't. I still have much to read though. What is the quickest and easiest way to find out what keys I should and shouldn't touch?

post-22021-1227500886_thumb.jpg

chrissywiss, there are not many fans of Norton here but I would let CCleaner remove the entries but make sure you keep a backup just in case you need to restore its update droppings.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user