DVD Ripper

Tom AZ

• Moderators
If I'm not mistaken, DVDShrink doesn't burn. So, what do you use for a burner?

DVD Decrypter, and I've never had a failed burn, and you can configure DVD Shrink to use Decrypter, so all you have to do is change disk.

DVD Decrypter, and I've never had a failed burn, and you can configure DVD Shrink to use Decrypter, so all you have to do is change disk.

OK . . . so I'm not a video guy -- which I'm sure is obvious :D. Can you help me understand the basic functions of each of the following applications. At this point, I'm particularly interested in (DVD) movies:

DVDShrink

DVD Decrypter

DVDFab HD Decrypter

ImgBurn

Also, will a program like Ashampoo's Burning Studio burn movies/video?

Plus there are so many different ways and programs to do this with. A couple of guides to read up on.

Afterdawn

about halfway down

Scuba Pete

this is how I learned "back in the day"

Don't start out trying to back up one of your Disney movies either. I find that they are a bit tougher sometimes. Get the latest software and try out one of your older movies first to learn the basics!

dvdshrink wont work with a whole bunch of copy protection methods. Its years old and is no longer developed.

DVD43 and DVDDecrypter are better, but are not updated as regularly as AnyDVD which is the most current fair use enforcement tool available.

I use ImgBurn to burn, which I find more stable than ashampoo and not as bloated as nero.

DVD43 and DVDDecrypter are better, but are not updated as regularly as AnyDVD which is the most current fair use enforcement tool available.

Is there a freeware version of AnyDVD? By the way, is this a ripper or decrypter -- or both?

Is there a freeware version of AnyDVD? By the way, is this a ripper or decrypter -- or both?

It is a decrypter and you can get a 30-day trial. It's probably the easiest method, but the freeware route will work just as well. DVDFab is updated frequently and can do your decrypting for you. Then use DVD Shrink or Shrink to 5.

• Moderators
Yes ashampoo burns movies(its what I use).

The last time I used Ashampoo's Burning Studio it made an unusable DVD Video disc, that and the very first version that was offered for free had less issues than the newest one. Doesn't matter though because I've stopped using it.

What I like about ImgBurn is that it will warn if something is wrong, and in many cases can fix it with just one click of a button, whereas with many other burning apps they'll let you burn a non-functional DVD Video disc.

What I like about ImgBurn is that it will warn if something is wrong, and in many cases can fix it with just one click of a button, whereas with many other burning apps they'll let you burn a non-functional DVD Video disc.

Do ImgBurn and DVD Decrypter essentially do the same thing?

• Moderators
Do ImgBurn and DVD Decrypter essentially do the same thing?

No. ImgBurn doesn't decrypt movies whereas DVD Decrypter does.

If you're only burning pre-compiled .ISO image files either will work the same, although I prefer ImgBurn.

What I've preferred doing lately is using DVD Shrink to do all the decrypting and re-authoring in one go, and it has made DVD Decrypter obsolete for me lately, although I'll hang onto DVD Decrypter in case it's needed.

• Moderators

Re-authoring means cutting out the adverts, trailers for up and coming movies, long lists of credits, special bonus features etc.

In other words you tell the program just to copy the movie only.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
Re-authoring means cutting out the adverts, trailers for up and coming movies, long lists of credits, special bonus features etc.

In other words you tell the program just to copy the movie only.

Yup! Also to remove foreign languages, director's comments, etc., that consume disc space. In many instances the actual movie is within the disc capacity of a single layer 4.7 GB DVD, so in that case no compression has to be done for it to fit.

What I've found lately after really delving into DVD Shrink is that it's good for editing home DVD recordings of favourite TV shows/movies. You have to finalize your re-writtable DVD RW discs that by the way have to be recorded in Video mode, then use DVD Shrink to edit out all the commercials, and finally burn the re-authored version without the commercials to a DVD R.

• Moderators
Here comes another dumb question :blink: . . . just exactly, what is re-authoring?

Tom, the home made tutorial I sent you a while back explained how to use DVD Decrypter and Shrink 3.2, and explained exactly what re-authoring is and how to do it with Shrink 3.2.

In case you lost it, it's available here:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?act=fi...=&pid=59745

Hope this helps.

Tom, the home made tutorial I sent you a while back explained how to use DVD Decrypter and Shrink 3.2, and explained exactly what re-authoring is and how to do it with Shrink 3.2.

In case you lost it, it's available here:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?act=fi...=&pid=59745

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Dennis. I've read and still have the article -- it was very helpful. I guess I was looking for a comprehensive definition of the term "re-authoring." From the article, it appears that re-authoring is limited to "shrinking." Is that it -- or can there be other things involved with the re-authoring process as well?

• Moderators

Hi Tom, re-authoring just means change things to the way you want them.

That may be stripping everything out to make the compression as little as possible for best quality, or leaving stuff in that you want to keep in, such as subtitles, or directors commentary. Whatever.

It's a term that sounds more complicated than it is.

You can substitute DVD Decrypter with DVD FabHDDecrypter, which you can configure to rip the "Main Movie" only, with relevant sound track, as opposed to DVDDecrypter ripping everything.

This means there will no reauthoring neccessary. All you would do with Shrink is compress whatever the file size is to fit onto a single layer DVD.

I've backed up a lot of DVD's that didn't need any compression at all, but usually there's some compression needed. And you can't configure Shrink to burn automatically with DVD Fab as you can with the original Decrypter.

Try the process with a rewritable DVD if you're not too sure, to save wasting disks, but bear in mind that writing to a rewritable disk is much slower than writing to a DVD-/+ R.

Give it a try, and if there's anything in particular that isn't working, or still puzzles you, just pm me, and we'll get it sorted.

Hope this helps.

Hi Tom, re-authoring just means change things to the way you want them.

That may be stripping everything out to make the compression as little as possible for best quality, or leaving stuff in that you want to keep in, such as subtitles, or directors commentary. Whatever.

It's a term that sounds more complicated than it is.

You can substitute DVD Decrypter with DVD FabHDDecrypter, which you can configure to rip the "Main Movie" only, with relevant sound track, as opposed to DVDDecrypter ripping everything.

This means there will no reauthoring neccessary. All you would do with Shrink is compress whatever the file size is to fit onto a single layer DVD.

I've backed up a lot of DVD's that didn't need any compression at all, but usually there's some compression needed. And you can't configure Shrink to burn automatically with DVD Fab as you can with the original Decrypter.

Try the process with a rewritable DVD if you're not too sure, to save wasting disks, but bear in mind that writing to a rewritable disk is much slower than writing to a DVD-/+ R.

Give it a try, and if there's anything in particular that isn't working, or still puzzles you, just pm me, and we'll get it sorted.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Dennis, this does help!