How to do Screen Capture and use Image Hosting Sites

DennisD

• Moderators

If there are no images visible in this tutorial, please inform me via pm as soon as possible. Thanks.

Click to pm me:

Screen Capture:

There are a lot of free Screen Capture tools available, but IMO one of the better ones, and also freeware, is Faststone Capture. It's small GUI belies a very sophisticated program. It has a very good help file, and a very detailed tutorial which can be downloaded in PDF form.

Faststone Capture: (Last Freeware Version. Do not use the "Home" link.)

Tutorial:

However, to get you started quickly, and save trawling through the help files, I'll outline the basic features.

Menu 1:

post-8751-0-20296800-1352072330_thumb.jpg

I have chosen to use the "To Editor" as my default. This means as soon as you capture the screenshot, it opens into the Faststone Editor, in which you can add "point to" arrows, descriptive text etc., as shown here:

Menu 2:

post-8751-0-54710200-1352072352_thumb.jpg

Here you can find links to the help file/tutorial, and an option to open any image on your PC straight into the Faststone Editor.

The next screenshot shows the different "capture" options available:

post-8751-0-62276600-1352072380_thumb.jpg

1: Capture the "active" window. (Link to definition/description of "active" window.)

2: Switch between all windows on the page.

3: Choose a capture window of any sized square or rectangle by left clicking once, drag the window to size, left click again.

4: Capture a freehand region by drag and multi-click.

5: Capture Full Screen.

6: Capture a "scrolling" window.

The PDF tutorial contains detailed explanations on each of these features, and is well worth consulting.

Please Note: Save your image as only JPG, PNG, or GIF, to save on file size and page loading. Not BMP.

Now that you've captured your image, you'll need to upload it to an Image Hosting site, and link to it by pasting a "Thumbnail Image" in your post.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Image Hosting:

For the purpose of storing, sharing, and posting Images, you'll find a lot of "Image Hosting Sites", or "Image/File" hosting sites on the Web. Some are free to use, some are commercial, and others are a combination of both.

The idea is to upload and store your image, and simply place a small thumbnail in your post that links to that image. The thumbnail is only a fraction of the size of the original, and therefore won't use up the forums bandwidth, and will make the topic you're posting in quicker to load.

These sites all have similar, but different conditions of use, and limitations on things like the maximum size you can upload, the maximum number of images you can store,(measured by either number or total size), or how long they will host your image before deleting it.

Some of these sites are very slick, with a nice clean interface, and a nice clean onsite image that the thumbnail links to.

Some are just the opposite. Sluggish to use: Site littered with ads: Site littered with distasteful ads: Images being lost: etc. etc. You can take note of which sites other people are using, or start a new topic and ask for some suggestions.

On the majority of these sites you can register for free, which enables you to keep track of your images, or even have an on site album.

Or, if you don't register, you can upload an image, link to it, and then you normally have no further contact with that image.

As an example I'll use the one I'm using at present called "postimage.org", which has great conditions of use, is very clean. And you can use it whether you register or not. This is the best site out there IMHO.

http://www.postimage.org/

This screenshot is fairly indicative of what a decent site looks like, although some are more cluttered.

post-8751-0-94994500-1352072470_thumb.jpg

All you would do is press the "add files" button which takes you to an upload window on your pc, choose an image, select it, and press upload. If you have a large digital image, it may take a while to upload. You can shift/select multiple images.

Once uploaded, you should see something like this: (again, it varies from site to site although this site is very slick.)

post-8751-0-41512000-1352072498_thumb.jpg

The "postimage.org" site is super user-friendly with a button to copy the correct linking code to your clipboard. You then simply right click in your post where you want the screenshot thumbnail and select "paste".

In other sites you will probably have a choice of "linking codes". What you look for is either Forum Code, or BB code, but usually the link looks like this:

[img=http://pixpipeline.com/st/4e094f6373cf.jpg]

Next, just simply right click anywhere in the link, it turns blue, and select COPY.

Come back to where you are typing your post, place the cursor on the start of the next line, right click and select PASTE.

You will now have a long line of text. To check that you have the correct linking code, go just below this window and select "Preview Post". In the preview window you should see your thumbnail. Click it, and it should take you to your hosted image.

Note that the Hosting Site automatically makes a thumbnail of your uploaded image.

That's it very basically, although you can play around with things, you can't do any harm, and if you get stuck, don't be afraid to ask.

Some other decent sites are:

PixPipeline: Nice clean site. Registration optional.

ImageBam: Nice interface, and again registration optional.

IMGBoot: Registration required, (email address). New "add title and description to image" feature. Clean site.

Imgur: Registration Optional. Flash or NoFlash version.

If any of you guys want to provide links to other good sites, I'm sure they'll be appreciated, or if you can add any relevant points I've omitted, please feel free.

I'll also include here a link to a post by one of our regulars Kroozer, which is helpful information for members who don't post often, and can therefore use the forums "uploader". If you do post often, you will soon run out of your allocated bandwidth, so bear that in mind ...

Posting Screenshots using the Forum Uploader:

Hope this helps.

post-8751-0-20296800-1352072330_thumb.jpg

post-8751-0-54710200-1352072352_thumb.jpg

post-8751-0-62276600-1352072380_thumb.jpg

post-8751-0-94994500-1352072470_thumb.jpg

post-8751-0-41512000-1352072498_thumb.jpg

Edited by DennisD
Regular Edits to update links etc

Excellent topic-post Dennis!
I could have used that info a few months back.
I won't forget the help that some of you guys gave me on how to use "Image Hosting Sites" greatly appreciated!
Since being a member of "Piriform Forums" I have learned lots, and received immeasurable amounts of help from many regular Members and Moderators.
My sincere thanks to all smile.gif

For Image Hosting I use http://www.postimage.org/

• 1 month later...

Hi DennisD,

I'M BACK!!! "Your in a heap a trouble now,boy."

Gonna be lotsa newbies like me postin' and replyin'.

I have been reviewing your post and I have been to the ImageSpeech website.

I tried Applet upload but it said my browser doesn't allow it.I already have the latest version of SUN Java.

I use IE7 so I guess I'm going to need some sort of Screen Capture program so I can do Upload From PC..

Thats why I provided this link for other users. http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=13952

I picked Faststone Capture 5.3 also.

I used your link to download the last Free Version.I clicked on Extract files.Then clicked on the Icon to install it with the Wizard.

http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categories/mm...oneCapture.html

Now I am going to learn how to use Faststone Capture 5.3 . That's a neat looking Icon . Wonder what it does?

This is challenging and fun at the same time.

Hope I am taking the right baby steps.

Imagine all those other users following behind.I don't want anybody getting lost following me.So keep me on the right track.

In the meanwhile you will be able to adjust,modify or update your original Post as I go along.

Thanks again for the help and to all the contributing members,

:) davey

• 8 months later...

• Moderators

Dennis is a bit more upmarket than me as I still use Microsoft paint for my screenshots. :)

In case anyone would like to use the 'built in' screen capture and is unsure, here is a little guide.

XP

With your desktop on screen press PrtScn button once (found to the right of the F12 button)

This will capture the whole desktop.

Should you want just to capture the active window on top of it press Alt + PrtScn button once together.

There will be no indication that any action has taken place, no beep or popup message

Now go start>all programs>accessories> paint (or keep a desktop shortcut to paint)

Do edit>paste

Do file>save

Save as type dropdown box, choose jpeg or png Do not choose Bitmap

File name, put something to help you remember it eg. Feb desktop1

Then press save.

Will be saved to 'my pictures'

Now go to your chosen image hosting site and browse to your screenshot when asked.

Vista

If you don't know where your vista snipping tool is, put snipping tool into your windows search bar.

It should then ask you if you want to put it in your quick launch when you use it for the first time..

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I like

MWSnap is a small yet powerful Windows program for snapping (capturing) images from selected parts of the screen.

Current version is capable of capturing the whole desktop, a highlighted window, an active menu, a control, or a fixed or free rectangular part of the screen. MWSnap handles 5 most popular graphics formats and contains several graphical tools: a zoom, a ruler, a color picker and a window spy. It can be also used as a fast picture viewer or converter.

MWSnap does not require installation and does not need any special dlls, drivers or system files which can mess up your system.

MWSnap is freeware, but your donations are gladly accepted.

Selected features

* 5 snapping modes.

* Support for BMP, JPG, TIFF, PNG and GIF formats, with selected color depth and quality settings.

* System-wide hotkeys.

* Clipboard copy/paste.

* Printing.

* Auto-saving, auto-printing.

* Auto-start with Windows.

* Minimizing to system tray.

* An auto-extending list of fixed sizes, perfect for snapping images for icons and glyphs.

* A zoom tool for magnifying selected parts of the screen.

* A ruler tool for measuring screen objects lengths.

* A color picker showing screen colors with separated RGB parts.

* Fast picture viewer.

* Adding frames and mouse pointer images.

* Multilevel configurable undo and redo.

* Multilingual versions.

* Configurable user interface.

* And more...

http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/mwsnap.html

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Excellent topic-post Dennis1%20(46).gif

Since being a member of "Piriform Forums" I have learned lots, and received immeasurable amounts of help from many regular Members and Moderators.

My sincere thanks to all :)

I could not have expressed my feelings any better!! Well said, craigathus. I have had quite a few problems and all the guys and gals on this forum have been unbelievably helpful. I would have been in quite a mess without you all!

Concerning Screen Capture, I use the same as YoKenny (MVSnap). I use PixPipeline for image hosting (recommended some time ago by Dennis).

Very happy with both. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Here's an interesting variation of a well known Image Hosting site:

imageshackui7.th.jpg

This one surprised me, although I'd like to know if the onsite image is as clean for everyone at this link:

ImageHosting: (That's it's name. Really original)

Worked out what it is yet?

Hey Dennis... It's a lady-bird.

• Moderators
Hey Dennis... It's a lady-bird.

Wrong wrong wrong.

You mean ladybug. Or is it an old VW?

And also wrong.

A right pair of dumbo's. :lol:

That is actually Image Shack. A very out of character quick and slick Image Shack.

• 2 weeks later...

Screen Capture eh?

Well there is a good program called Camstudio which is free and simple to use.

Camstudio:

http://camstudio.org/

For stills gotta go back to the old print screen button! :)

Just press it once and paste it wherever you like!

post-24784-1227343384_thumb.jpg

Well, here is a good site called 2shared which has an easy upload service and lets you see the picture before you download it. You can also upload any file you want!

http://www.2shared.com

post-24784-1227344007_thumb.png

post-24784-1227343384_thumb.jpg

post-24784-1227344007_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

iam a new user of a few screen capture programs, after learning my snipping tool on vista is unstable, especially after restarts. not good on explaining stuff :( so check out the screen capture programs i deem as satisfactory-

Jing

screencapture 5.0 free version

80999699qp6.jpg
From my prespective, winvista club is a very good forum for all things windows related.
They have helped me and many others in the past. Excellent hints and advice!

BigSmile.png

• 1 month later...

To be honest I think upload3r.com is one of the best sites today. It allows up to 5 MB filesize limits, it requires no registration, its quick.

In the future from what I have heard they will be offering bucket like services.

Anyway just my 2cents

Upload3r.com is the way to go.

• Moderators

I've just been giving that site a try, and unfortunately it doesn't seem to give an option of linking to a thumbnail sized image, which we prefer members to use to fascilitate the easier loading of threads like the monthly Desktop one.

Larger images can really slow down the loading of threads especially to people on DialUp or a low bandwidth.

Maybe they'll have that option at some future time.

• 3 weeks later...
I've just been giving that site a try, and unfortunately it doesn't seem to give an option of linking to a thumbnail sized image, which we prefer members to use to fascilitate the easier loading of threads like the monthly Desktop one.

Larger images can really slow down the loading of threads especially to people on DialUp or a low bandwidth.

Maybe they'll have that option at some future time.

From what I understand from reading on different forums the webmaster or site master whatever you call it is working on improving the website. Check out beta.upload3r.com. I guess this must be the new site, hopefully they will allow you to resize those images :) Going to be interesting to see.

So what is the difference between Active Window and Full Screen? I use Gadwin or the Ff addon usually and FastStone for Scrolling Window but AW or FS screenshots with either app are always the same image. I've searched this question and used DennisD's link but can't come up with an explanation. Thank You!

• Moderators
So what is the difference between Active Window and Full Screen? I use Gadwin or the Ff addon usually and FastStone for Scrolling Window but AW or FS screenshots with either app are always the same image. I've searched this question and used DennisD's link but can't come up with an explanation. Thank You!

The easiest way to show you the difference is with a couple of screenshots, both taken with exactly the same number of windows open on the screen:

Fullscreen: (press F11 to remove your real screen, and see the fullscreen image more clearly)

t747_Fullscreen.jpg

Active Window:

t748_Active.jpg

No matter how many windows are open, only one of them is "active" at any one time. Faststone captures that window, in this case CCleaner.

Hope that helps.

• Moderators
From what I understand from reading on different forums the webmaster or site master whatever you call it is working on improving the website. Check out beta.upload3r.com. I guess this must be the new site, hopefully they will allow you to resize those images :) Going to be interesting to see.

I must confess, that's a nice looking site, and the email address being optional is a good thing. If they introduce the thumbnail option I think it could well get used.