PC Tools Registry Mechanic 6 For Free (Until 20 December 07)

CraigMartin

If it's solely for readers that have purchased a magazine and ComputerActive is worried about "the word" spreading about that some commercial app is freely available via their website then I'd have to say resort to using a code/coupon as Craig has suggested. Or go even further and only list a special download page for your actual customers.

It was a special download page just for readers, it stated so in the mag and stated that the page would not show up in Google searchs (not having a go, just pointing out what the mag said). Having said that, I was considering posting the link here a couple of days before the offer ran out so that people here could get it without the risk of the offer getting pulled before readers got it. As it was I completely forgot (and wasn't impressed with it anyway, Reg Mech 5 was better) :rolleyes:

It was a special download page just for readers, it stated so in the mag and stated that the page would not show up in Google searchs (not having a go, just pointing out what the mag said). Having said that, I was considering posting the link here a couple of days before the offer ran out so that people here could get it without the risk of the offer getting pulled before readers got it. As it was I completely forgot (and wasn't impressed with it anyway, Reg Mech 5 was better) :rolleyes:

Speaking of Reg Mech 5 did you get my PM ;)

• Moderators

I deleted the link earlier but didnt really have time to post. Its kind of rude to keep posting these once chris has asked us not to.

I guess from now on if you want to post about these offers dont put a link to the page just post something like ".... is available for readers of computer active for free". :D We cant keep people from downloading the software(only they can by requiring log ins) but we can at least not post direct links. Plus I think its cool that he comes and posts about the ones that are available in the future to everyone so lets not drive him away. :)

I have tried Reg Mechanic 6 offered here and Reg Mechanic 5 that was sent to me by a member of this forum. They are pretty similar except 6 scans faster and finds more things. I can't get either version to remember ignored items. I right click an entry and select ignore put they never show up in the ignore list.

• Moderators
I right click an entry and select ignore put they never show up in the ignore list.

I have had that problem with version 5 before and it's super annoying, but eventually it accepts the ignore list. Version 6 never remembered the ignore list.

I have had that problem with version 5 before and it's super annoying, but eventually it accepts the ignore list. Version 6 never remembered the ignore list.

What do you mean version 5 eventually remembers the ignore list? It just starts working or did you do something?

Here's one pretty nice registry cleaner called TweakNow RegCleaner: http://www.tweaknow.com/RegCleaner.html

I already got older version and just installed the latest (free) version. It don't find any new invalid entries from my registry though. Neither no false positive entries. It scans very fast. Note to check "Expert" mode for more thorough scan.

Current Version: 3.0.1

License: Freeware

Any body try Eusing Free Registry Cleaner? I have it installed and it doesn't seem too aggressive. I like the GUI it's very clean and intuitive.

http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleane...try_cleaner.htm

I got it. It founds a lot of false positive entries. Not very good, IMO. GUI is simple and clear though, like you said.

edit: It founds basicly same stuff than RegScrubXP.

• Moderators
What do you mean version 5 eventually remembers the ignore list? It just starts working or did you do something?

I meant it will eventually remember what you tell it to ignore, however that only happens with some entries not all of them. Note that it may take multiple attempts for those entries it's finicky about.

Here's one pretty nice registry cleaner called TweakNow RegCleaner: http://www.tweaknow.com/RegCleaner.html

That's the safe reg cleaner I used to use before CCleaner. I tried it again a few months back and it found about 20 false positives that RegSeeker also wrongly finds. It's very safe in basic mode but didn't find anything that CCleaner couldn't.

• Moderators
Guys, remember these are full app promos for our magazine readers, not for general Internet consumption (ie. I've 'found' an offer). Our contracts with software suppliers do not allow this, so be careful of spreading this info too far and wide. No kidding, but we can be asked to remove the promo - like what happened when we did Acronis True Image 7.

On a more positive note, you'll be surprised to see what we're giving away with issue 257, on-sale 27th of December.

Chris/Computeractive.

Have just purchased this issue of Computeractive magazine and see that readers can get Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.5 full version plus a years updates, and also AVg anti-virus 7.5 Professional for one year.

Good job I buy the mag and have the links for these offers :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com