dangerous for new users: CCleaner default settings

andreasm

If a newbie in CCleaner wants to use CCleaner, perhaps he doesn't see that there are settings checked in Cleaner on second page "Applications".

Not all of the files on that page are useless! Cookies, Internet Cache and so on are really useful for some users.

So there should be a solution that users can't accidently delete files marked on second page on first run of cleaner.

Perhaps ALL settings on second page should be unchecked as default?

my private homepage www.energie-bewusstsein.de - stop wasting energy!

• 2 weeks later...
No, I actually think you have made a valid point.

Lots of new users tend to press the button without knowing what will happen.

If you are stupid enough to do that with any program you deserve what you get. I make sure I have read all help files and any other info I can get on any program before I even install it. I definitely know what it can do before I use it. The help file that is available on line from this forum is very helpful and explains what CCleaner does and all of it's options. There really is no excuse for being lazy.

• Moderators
If you are stupid enough to do that with any program you deserve what you get.

Anthony, don't be so harsh, it's not a perfect world.

People just new to computers do make errors of judgement, didn't you at any time? I know I did :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Anthony, don't be so harsh, it's not a perfect world.

People just new to computers do make errors of judgement, didn't you at any time? I know I did :)

It's not just with computers that people do this. I know many people that have no use for directions or manuals and just start pushing buttons and pulling levers or just start assembling things. Than they stand there with a dumb a$$ look on their face when they have six pieces left in the box after they have assembled the device. :rolleyes: It's just laziness IMO. Than they complain that the product is crap because they didn't bother to follow instructions.

IMO CCleaner was one of the easiest programs to learn and has one of the nicest and easiest to use help guides. No excuse to just start pushing buttons. As for people new to computers, all the more reason to read manuals and help files. If you aren't smart enough to know how much you don't know you are in trouble with anything you do in life.

Well, if people who are gonna use this has some doubts on "what's the function of this or how to do this", they should ask for help before doing anything that may annoy them. They should really think and analyze before doing such actions, or else they'll come complaining and some of us may say "Did you read the manual?".

Not being boastful but, by reading a lot of technical things wandering on the net, I easily understood the functions of CCleaner. It's the matter of getting information, using them correctly, then doing the right action.

• Moderators
I make sure I have read all help files and any other info I can get on any program before I even install it. I definitely know what it can do before I use it. The help file that is available on line from this forum is very helpful and explains what CCleaner does and all of it's options. There really is no excuse for being lazy.

Part of the problem in my opinion is that the manual is online. Sure there's a link to the online help and it's listed in the application at the bottom left in not so big text that could easily be overlooked. Also to my knowledge the current online help documentation doesn't even link to what TwistedMetal has compiled and ready for download, officially known as the Beginner's Guide.

End result (more like a plea): Include and install the compiled help file by TwistedMetal. That alone could end many of the exact same questions that are always being asked over and over again.

• Moderators

In my opinion (sorry AV) people will do what they want to do, not what others think they should do. Software applications should be more or less fool-proof, or at least intuitive so that they can be used immediately without ploughing through a manual. (I have not read any CC manual, I admit.)

I think that the Cleaner section is indeed more or less foolproof with the standard ticks. Not a lot of damage can happen to a PC with this. Lost cookies and temp int files can be a nuisance but aren't life threatening. Where I think more caution is required is in the Reg Cleaner and Uninstall Application Sections. Some users think that they have to use these sections and press away happily, reducing their PC to a gibbering wreck. Perhaps nothing ticked here and a caution box in the header would help?

Rgds.

• Moderators
but on some important programs I would read the helpme files.

Help files are there for a reason! Anyone using a program and enabling stuff that's disabled by default should first find out what it's going to do before enabling it -- that's just common sense when dealing with PC software of any flavour.

Just my 2 cents.

Software applications should be more or less fool-proof, or at least intuitive so that they can be used immediately without ploughing through a manual

Yes, that's it! Settings in CCleaner should be in that way, so that beginners don't get any bad surprises on their first usage.

Everyone who want to clean more, can activate further settings very easy...

my private homepage www.energie-bewusstsein.de - stop wasting energy!

Settings in CCleaner should be in that way, so that beginners don't get any bad surprises on their first usage.

That's true. Most (avarage) users just hits the "Run" button, without furthermore knowledge (or interest). But in my opinion, i.e. cookies and browser cache are very important to delete, at least every once a while.

And also... I can't understand, that Windows build-in cleanup utility let's you delete "Downloaded Program Files" by default... DPF are not temporary files, for example Java- and Flash ActiveX components. It wouldn't be nice to reinstall those components, after every time you have ran the cleanup utility.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe it should be like in high school when they do not give you a driver's license until they have forced you to sit through the gruesome film* of "what happens when you drive irresponsibly" -- no downloading until you've seen the train wreck!

Peace,

Otter

*I'm sure you know the type of Public Service Film I'm referring to -- horribly dated, with a narrator who sounds as though he might have a son named The Beav: "Here are John and Betty at their graduation..." [closeup of beaming J & B in caps and gowns, holding matching laptops] "John had bought a new car with money he saved from his job..." [zoom out to show J & B are standing in front of Cool Convertible] "John thought he'd go out for a Good Time after graduation..." [cut to nighttime scene, J & B barrelling along with top down, racing trains, woo-hooing all the way, laptops in the back seat] "...but John made some dumb choices." [J & B parked at The Overlook; closeup of open beer bottle in John's hand alongside open laptop screen that shows someone under the heat of passion and booze clicking away cavalierly, selecting to deep-clean everything in sight, without even looking at the screen.] "Here are John and Betty today." [cut to scene of wan John being handed a wad of cash by another guy, who drives off in Cool Convertible; John crosses street to Betty, who is crying on the front steps of a shop placarded "The Computer Doc"; through the open shop door, we can see computer guts strewn across a workbench. John looks mournfully at his fistful of folding money and, shaking his head in disbelief, morosely hands it over to the tearstained Betty, who drags herself sadly through the front door of the shop. Fade in of caption, with simultaneous voiceover: "Cleaning irresponsibly was the last thing on her computer's mind. Don't let it be the last on yours."]

If a newbie in CCleaner wants to use CCleaner, perhaps he doesn't see that there are settings checked in Cleaner on second page "Applications".

Not all of the files on that page are useless! Cookies, Internet Cache and so on are really useful for some users.

So there should be a solution that users can't accidently delete files marked on second page on first run of cleaner.

Perhaps ALL settings on second page should be unchecked as default?

And also... I can't understand, that Windows build-in cleanup utility let's you delete "Downloaded Program Files" by default... DPF are not temporary files, for example Java- and Flash ActiveX components. It wouldn't be nice to reinstall those components, after every time you have ran the cleanup utility.

Sometimes these files get "Damaged". Go to your Downloaded Program Files directory and make sure you're aren't.

You can just reinstall them anyway. Just Active-X controls.

Unfortunately a product my company uses breaks these damn things all the time.

If you are stupid enough to do that with any program you deserve what you get. I make sure I have read all help files and any other info I can get on any program before I even install it. I definitely know what it can do before I use it. The help file that is available on line from this forum is very helpful and explains what CCleaner does and all of it's options. There really is no excuse for being lazy.

One of the reasons new users press buttons without knowing what will happen is that they've read what a wonderful program this and/or many others is/are. There are rave reviews all over the internet w/oodles of folks saying how safe it is and that they "run it automatically every day". So they download it, install, and press buttons. It is human nature, especially in this day and age to expect instant results. Most of us will skip reading manuals if at all possible. I agree that it is a problem that the manual is online. Unfortunately, more and more applications are using this method. I despise interrupting my work to connect to the internet just to get an answer to a simple question.

Anthony A, I think you are wise but in the minority if you read a whole manual before using an application. Calling someone stupid and lazy who has a problem, whether or not it is of their own making, will not encourage them to post a question in this forum and isn't that the whole purpose?

Anthony A, I think you are wise but in the minority if you read a whole manual before using an application. Calling someone stupid and lazy who has a problem, whether or not it is of their own making, will not encourage them to post a question in this forum and isn't that the whole purpose?

I said you are stupid if you just start pushing buttons NOT if you asked questions. I was clear that I think you should get all the info you can before you start using the app that includes asking questions.

I am a firm believer there is no such thing a s a dumb question, just look at some of the questions I have asked and you will see I mean that :lol:

No, I actually think you have made a valid point.

Lots of new users tend to press the button without knowing what will happen.

I'm not a newbie to using PC's; am a newbie to the highly recommended CCleaner.

I downloaded from the default Web download site, attempted to run Ver. 2.03.532, and my WinXP2 SP2 stated:

"Not a valid Windows file". (!)

I then downloaded same version from the Alternate Site; this one booted OK and installed Ver. 2.03.532 .

After the program install, doing a system Restart, then booting CCleaner, Ver. 2.03.532, I click-on the tabs and observe that "everything" is already defaulted as check-marked.

My 1st thoughts: "Are these check-marked as Exclusions or Inclusions?"

There is no so-called industry standard about that.

I saw that CCleaner has no built-in offline Help files.

The program's Help File click-on's Web site came up as "Not accessible" with all 3 of my browsers: Firefox, Opera, IE7.

So what's a CCleaner newbie to do?

Attempt to get some answers from any suitable "info" forums!

After reading the last few posts in this forum I THINK that UN-checking all those boxes changes the default to basically, "CCleaner defaults to Do-Nothing-to-Anything (Yet) - proceed with thoughtful care and caution."!

Would be helpful, though to find where the CCleaner online help files are located!

---John

• Moderators

http://www.internetrotsyourbrain.com/ccleanerbeginnersguide/

Also if you click on CCleaner Discussion it is near the top under important topics.

The ideal would be if it was incorporated into the program, the compiler moderator Twisted Metal, has but a lot of effort and knowledge into it all in his own time.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hi everyone, i`m a newbie & a dummy. I was introduced to CC by Trojan Hunter which i`ve just purchased. I personally do not want to spend ages reading through a manual before i use software. It is far too much for newbies to take in, in one go. Often you end up more confused than when you first started. I much prefer if all the naughty bits are turned off by default, then i can start looking and learning about the other features as and when i want to, without ending up with a duff pc. If i have a problem (pc wise)then the only way i can get it resolved is by other users online. Most people who start using pc`s have to go through a learning curve of making stupid errors & cockups, not because they`re in a hurry to use the software, but because they really don`t understand the instructions and all the new terms and processes they have to take in in one go. All of my security software i have purchased, because it has been the only way i can get effective software that is very easy to understand & use. My first ever purchase when i got online 9mths ago was Bit Defender, which i promptly uninstalled an hour later before i had a mental breakdown. Today one of the most important things i look for before i download any software, is the feedback left by other users. Today, because i have had the time spare, i`ve read all through the forum in relation to CC. For this reason i`ve decided not to download the latest version of it, but go for the one that long term users of CC are reverting back to, for the time being. Having read through the forum, when i got to the first post under this heading, by ANTHONY A, i initially thought that this person has a serious attitude problem with regard to newbies, and totally agreed with what HAZEL had said in her post about his view. One of the interesting things i like about forums, is that everyone has their own personal view about things.