Desktop Shortcuts Removed

unclebic

I've been using CCleaner for quite a while now, and by the way - GREAT PROGRAM! (I just had to get that off my chest), and this is the first time I've had any issue with it. I had not used the newer feature for "Desktop Shortcuts" and tried it out on a freshly formatted reinstall of XP SP2 with all the updates done, and after all my program installs and tweaking (thank God for AutoPatcher - even the new BETA) was done. I wanted to get that machine as clean as possible so I turned to my buddy CCleaner and it removed the few program shortcuts that were on the desktop. I only had shortcuts for Pidgin, Firefox, CDBurnerXP, and Gimp 2. After running CCleaner they were all gone and I had to put them back on the desktop. The folder shortcuts for some folders that are in the My Documents folder were there, just not the program shortcuts. My Computer and My Network Places were there as well. Like I said before, this was on a fresh install and I had opened all of the programs before also.

I read that the new box for the "Desktop Shortcuts" from the "CCleaner Beginner's Guide"

Desktop Shortcuts

Removes desktop shortcuts that points to files that no longer exist.

I've gone back and unchecked the "Desktop Shortcuts" for that machine, but I would like to find out what went wrong.

Thanks,

Vic

I've been using CCleaner for quite a while now, and by the way - GREAT PROGRAM! (I just had to get that off my chest), and this is the first time I've had any issue with it. I had not used the newer feature for "Desktop Shortcuts" and tried it out on a freshly formatted reinstall of XP SP2 with all the updates done, and after all my program installs and tweaking (thank God for AutoPatcher - even the new BETA) was done. I wanted to get that machine as clean as possible so I turned to my buddy CCleaner and it removed the few program shortcuts that were on the desktop. I only had shortcuts for Pidgin, Firefox, CDBurnerXP, and Gimp 2. After running CCleaner they were all gone and I had to put them back on the desktop. The folder shortcuts for some folders that are in the My Documents folder were there, just not the program shortcuts. My Computer and My Network Places were there as well. Like I said before, this was on a fresh install and I had opened all of the programs before also.

I read that the new box for the "Desktop Shortcuts" from the "CCleaner Beginner's Guide"

I've gone back and unchecked the "Desktop Shortcuts" for that machine, but I would like to find out what went wrong.

Thanks,

Vic

THANKS VIC!!!

You helped answer a question I had about this prpblem. I'm new using CCleaner and I was not sure

it was a problem or not.

I untcked Desktop Shortcuts and Start Menu Shortcuts until I found out.

I second your post and from what I have seen it wont be long until the bug is fixed. :P;)

Forgot to mention that I am using XP SP2 also ie7.When I had the problem I was using v2.02.527.

Not sure if v2.03.532 has problem. Dont want to try it out and lose all my Shortcuts.

I still have many invalid Shortcuts in my Registry.

• 1 month later...

Hey Piriform! Still no love? I've checked the Version History and still don't see that this has been fixed. Also, I've noticed that on some systems these two boxes are checked by default. I still don't trust that these cleaners will work as they're described. If they're actually supposed to remove all the icons then I'll just keep deselecting them when I install, I would just like to know one way or the other.

Thanks very much,

Vic

Davey, can you tell me how many systems that you've had good luck on?

Since I first posted in this thread, I've installed on at least 10 different systems. On those systems the settings depended on whether or not CCleaner had already been installed before the new version. Or if CCleaner was being installed on a freshly installed or new system. That's why I'm hoping that the code writers or the admin(s) will respond.

Have you had similar results?

Hi Vic,

Yeah Vic I can't blame your concern.Only 3 simple systems.All with previously installed.Uninstalled and new versions reinstalled.All settings reset to users wishes.Nothing complex like what you are handling.

Hope Piriform can give you a more detailed answer.

:) davey

Are the programs installed on a different partition (drive)?

No, to the different partition. I have set up one machine where I moved the users "My Documents" to a different partition. All the machines I've set up since this issue are XP either "home" or "Pro". I haven't checked to see on my Vista clients yet.

On at least two new systems I made sure to deselect the desktop shortcuts and start menu check boxes.

When I do a fresh install or am working on a new system that my clients purchase, I uninstall the demo-ware and then install Anti-Virus almost always AVG Free for the home users and then Firefox. After that if they are going to use Microsoft Office, I install that, at that point I get all of the updates done. First using AutoPatcher and then going directly to the MS update site and downloading the few remaining updates. After that I install all the rest of the programs I want or need for the machine to make a lean but full featured adware free system. You're welcome to check out the programs I usually install from my site on my How To page.

On the systems that already have CCleaner and just need the update, I just install over itself without doing an uninstall. Like the original post said what I objected to was that there were NO programs that I didn't want or even icons to programs that had been uninstalled and left icons.