class not registered? Trojan horse?

mikeb

I use a file shredder called Simple File Shredder, I don't think it's supported anymore, but it's around, anyway, last night I left my pc on to dl some stuff. This afternoon I went to update AVG Free and a short while later I went to use Simple File Shredder and AVG pops up saying "Threat Detected! while opening file: c:\windows\system32\secdel.dll Trojan horse Delf.DBE" so I healed it.

So now I when I try to use SFS, I get a "Class Not Registered" pop up. I tried uninstalling and reinstalled it. I went to AVG's vault and restored the file (at least I believe i did) and still AVG will pop up with the threat and even if I say to ignore the threat, I cannot use SFS. I get that Class Not Registered error.

This is a first. Not sure what to do.

Seems to be a false positive but three of 32 scan engines are flagging it as suspicious.

File sfs_setup.exe received on 12.02.2007 20:23:43 (CET)

Current status: Loading ... queued waiting scanning finished NOT FOUND STOPPED

Result: 3/32 (9.38%)

You can wait for web response (automatic reload) or type your email in the form below and click "request" so the system sends you a notification when the scan is finished.

Email:

Antivirus Version Last Update Result

AhnLab-V3 - - -

AntiVir - - -

Authentium - - -

Avast - - -

AVG - - -

BitDefender - - -

CAT-QuickHeal - - -

ClamAV - - -

DrWeb - - -

eSafe - - suspicious Trojan/Worm

eTrust-Vet - - -

Ewido - - -

FileAdvisor - - Low threat detected

Fortinet - - -

F-Prot - - -

F-Secure - - -

Ikarus - - -

Kaspersky - - -

McAfee - - -

Microsoft - - -

NOD32v2 - - -

Norman - - -

Panda - - Suspicious file

Prevx1 - - -

Rising - - -

Sophos - - -

Sunbelt - - -

Symantec - - -

TheHacker - - -

VBA32 - - -

VirusBuster - - -

Webwasher-Gateway - - -

Additional information

MD5: 48a284a770b757161da170e45020f387

I've been using SFS for a while, along side AVG Free, isn't it weird that all of a sudden I get that threat warning? Whatever it did after I healed it I think rendered it useless cause that "Class not Registered" will not go away even after reinstalling it and ignoring the AVG's warning. I guess I'll have to sign up and report this. I just liked using SFS cause I could just drag whatever I wanted to shred into it, but I suppose I can now go ahead and set up a shred folder for CCleaner to handle. :)

Thanks

I've been using SFS for a while, along side AVG Free, isn't it weird that all of a sudden I get that threat warning? Whatever it did after I healed it I think rendered it useless cause that "Class not Registered" will not go away even after reinstalling it and ignoring the AVG's warning. I guess I'll have to sign up and report this. I just liked using SFS cause I could just drag whatever I wanted to shred into it, but I suppose I can now go ahead and set up a shred folder for CCleaner to handle. :)

Just reinstall SFS, should sort it.

Your not the only one though, I had my first ever false positive (in 4 years) from AVG last week too. Very unusual for AVG. Though when I updated the false positive was gone so all credit to them to fix it so quick (it picked up on a program I run every day so it was fixed within about 24 hours)

Sounds like a false positive, you should report it to AVG or post on their forum:

http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/list.php?4

It is indeed a false positive, and heres a temporary solution until avg fixes it.

Step 1: Turn off "resident shield" in your avg settings. This will prevent avg trying to read the file while you try to register its class. If you dont turn it off you will get "access denied".

Step 2: Go to your start menu and open "run"

Step 3: Type exactly this. regsvr32 %windir%\system32\secdel.dll

Now your done. All should work fine with SFS. Just leave resident shield off until avg puts a fix in place or you will have to do this repeatedly. All of these steps assume you are running XP and you currently have SFS installed. All of these steps may be the same for vista but I dont know because vista is the devil and I dont use it. lol. Also not sure if AVG runs on vista...

Just reinstall SFS, should sort it.

Your not the only one though, I had my first ever false positive (in 4 years) from AVG last week too. Very unusual for AVG. Though when I updated the false positive was gone so all credit to them to fix it so quick (it picked up on a program I run every day so it was fixed within about 24 hours)

He already said he tried that and it didnt work. I had the same problem and a reinstall of either program didnt work. But lucky for him, im a nerd and I fixed the problem for him lol. ^^