Do not remove KB917013 uninstaller!

pogue

I wanted to bring this issue to the attention of the CCleaner developer(s) that the 'Hotfix Uninstallers' should not remove the folder %windrive%\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB917013$\ because this is the installation folder for Windows Desktop Search. Deleting that folder will break the uninstaller for Windows Desktop Search (WDS) so that it cannot be uninstalled from the Add/Remove Programs function. For XP users and individuals who don't use the Office 2007 suite, WDS is not a Hotfix, it must be downloaded and installed manually.

I installed WDS to try it out and found it not to my liking. When I attempted to uninstall it, the uninstaller (Windows Installer) complained that the folder I mentioned above was missing and I realized what must have happened. Once the program is installed, it cannot be reinstalled over top of itself to recreate the uninstaller. There is a thread at the MS support forum where users describe this same issue of having used CCleaner and inadvertently deleting this folder.

MS Support Forum: SIMPLE instructions to REMOVE Windows Desktop Search (Note: The first few pages deal with the older beta version of WDS that came included with some MSN software. Later versions can come preinstalled with Vista, Office 2007, or installed manually by the end user. Discussion of this is further into the thread which spans 5 pages total)

So, I think it would be best if CCleaner "whitelisted" this particular folder to not delete it using the HotFix Uninstaller function, as it is technically not a Hotfix and will still leave behind files that breaks the ability to uninstall it.

KB917013: Description of Windows Desktop Search 3.01 and the Multilingual User Interface Pack for Windows Desktop Search 3.01

Thanks,

pogue