Comodo Pro v3 is out!

slowday444

No problems running it here, either.

XP home, SP2, 3yr old desktop, Avast home and SpywareTerminator.

The .268 update released yesterday solved an updating issue. (Ironic). Needed a reboot, then all was well.

Very well indeed. It's slick, the help files are excellent - maybe the best I've seen, it has low resource usage, it's slick, the GUI is incredibly configurable, and the tray icon is this lovely off-white shield...simple, verging on minimalist, and clean.

I have disabled ST's HIPS while Defense+ is on. Seems pointless (and possibly hazardous) to run 2.

If you can get it to work. I couldn't and neither could a lot of other Comodo fans: Comodo Forum

Include me with the can't use crowd! First problem was a continual nag for the installation disk for ScanSoft OmniPage SE 4.0 (part of Canon All-In-One software) at boot. Eventually I found a download link for a new Vista version (I have XP) of SS OP SE that fixed that problem. Apparently, even though the Canon scan feature worked perfectly fine, there was something not exactly right and for some illogical reason, with v3 installed it wanted it fixed. The problem now is v3 is not compatible with Sandboxie on my pc. Firefox and IE7 both run normally out of the sandbox, however, sandboxed they crawl and are very erratic with mouse gestures and scrolls hopping all over the place. I'm just using the XP firewall rather than reinstalling v2.4. I'm hard wired to a router and run Sandboxed anyway so it should be sufficient until they get this sorted out. The really strange thing is disabling Comodo doesn't make any difference.

This new version locked my computer up tighter than a pit bull on a pot roast. :angry:

Every desktop shortcut I tried to click on said that "whatever" is not a valid windows application. . .might have said a valid 32 bit windows application, don't remember for sure. Said windows explorer, Winword, internet explorer, ...any of the shortcuts... were not valid applications. Couldn't run command prompt. Couldn't run command prompt from task manager. Couldn't shut down from task manager. Couldn't shut down from "Start > Shut Down". System tray icons gone.

edit: Now that I think about it, nothing with an exe extension would run.

Scary.

Best I can remember, during the installation process, I selected all the manual options, as opposed to having the app make all the decisions. That may have been the problem. Also selected the highest security settings offered. The learning function took quite a while. Then it seemed that the explorer shell just quit. Then it I began to get the "not valid" warnings.

Didn't mean to write a book, just hope that the information might help.

Turned the power off, rebooted into safe mode, used system restore, got it back. Good old f8. Thank you Bill Gates, I take back all the bad things I said. :P

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Would you guys recommend comodo firewall if you are running vista home premium ?

Just want some advice....

Ver. 3 caused problems w/ XP, as described above.

If you can take precautions, make a restore point, make a registry backup, etc, and make sure you have a couple of hours to fix it if it goes blooey, then maybe so...since version 2.4.18.184 is really good on XP.

Also, if I kept up with the install process, the firewall would have been really good if it had worked, does more than most FWLs.

My 2 cents. :D

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

If i'm ever going to change my firewall (Sygate), i think it's going to be Comodo. I have read good things about it.

It used to be good, it has being going downhill steadily since.

The version 3 is the most bloatest piece of nonsense I have seen.

And you are talking to a guy who has used pretty much every most paranoid/control freak security program HIPS.

I wrote all of the HIPS related information on castlecops wiki and have tested and used pretty much every HIPS out there for home use and even i find Comodo 3's Defense+ module unbearable.

Comodo 3 outdoes almost all of them (with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions) in terms of generating prompts and alerts.

There is no way in hell, the average guy is going to use this.

There is no way in hell, the average guy is going to use this.

Hooray, I'm above average. :lol: Only HIPS I've used before was Process Guard which generated a prompt if you picked your nose. Comodo HIPS certainly not as quiet as the developers led us to believe. For me uses about half the resources of v2. Still I don't think I would recommend it to someone "average". :blink:

. . .no way . . .the average guy is going to use this.

Speaking only for myself and millions of average schmucks like me, :lol: <<<(big laugh to remove any sarcasm) I just simply cannot take the time.

The only way I could get my XP system to boot after the install, was by going into Safe Mode and uninstall it.

Tried the updated version 3.0.13.268 with the same result. I am currently without a firewall, as all definitions from 2.4 are gone.

• 2 weeks later...
I take it all back. Lusher was right Defense+ became unbearable pretty fast.

Of course I am. despite the fact that some people are trying to brand me a troll, i'm usually right.

Sometimes it even takes a while before "conventional wisdom" comes to see the wisdom of what i'm saying...