Sound Problems

T_jakko

Hey. I have a problem- my onboard soundcard, a Soundmax on an Asus M2NE Mobo, is not producing sound. I've tried all the troubleshooters I can, and nothing makes any difference. I've tried cleaning the drivers as described in loads of other topics, and in several other ways, and have re-installed from the original Mobo CD each time, but nothing solves the problem. In device manager it's listed as Soundmax HD Audio and Sound (etc) and is said to be working fine, and the drivers are the originals that were working until this problem started, but when I try opening audio properties I'm told that there is no audio mixer on my computer and to install one using add hardware, which makes no sense. I've tried using the add hardware to see if there is something that I haven't installed that I've missed, and there's nothing.

Please, if anyone has any ideas then I'll welcome them. I've tried virtually everything I can think of other than a format, and I'm not awful at this, but still can't find an answer. Thanks for your attention.

Tom

PS it did work to restore the computer to one date in particular, but that is no longer an option, as system restore cannot restore back over a month and a half, and the date everything last worked was in september, when I got back from my summer holidays.

Thanks again.

• Moderators

This is not the same setup, but it might help:

I have a Soundmax Integrated HD audio on my StrikerExtreme mobo.

Today I lost my sound, and my computer reports that I have no audio device.

After a whole bunch of "Fixes" that did not work, even reinstalling drivers, this worked.

On the desktop, right-click on "My Computer".

Click on "Manage".

Click on "Services & Applications".

This brings up a list headed "Services".

Scroll down to "Windows Audio".

Double-click on it, then on "Recovery" tab.

This brings up three windows for what Windows should do in the event of failure: on the first occasion, on the second occasion and on subsequent occasions.

The options are "Take no action" and "Restart the service".

I found them all set to "Take no action", and reset them all to "Restart the service".

Windows then tried to restart the service, succeeded in doing so and I had my Audio Device back.

Hope it works for you.

Link:

Hope this helps.