Any Changes?

Humpty

Only changes here is that I got rid of Super Antispyware (just don't get spyware). And started using IESpyad + Zoned Out, not decided if it's a worthwhile addition yet though.

Apart from that:

AVG Free

Spyware Blaster

Spybot (for it's immunise function)

Hardware Firewall and Sygate

Firefox with Adblock and McAfee SiteAdvisor

And Returnil for any potentially dodgy downloads and testing stuff

• Moderators

Same old.....

Avast AntiVirus.

Hosts File.

Returnil

Powershadow.

Spybot S & D.

Spyware Blaster.

AVG AntiRootkit.

Panda AntiRootKit.

McAfee Site Advisor. (Edit, forgot this one)

Firefox. (Edit, forgot this one as well)

One change. After reading the good reports recently on here, have decided, for now, to replace Windows Firewall with Online Armor Free.

David is of course right to say "if it aint broke don't fix it", and I have no complaints about Windows Firewall, (might return to it), but for a while at least it will be interesting to see what dials out, although the main thing is stopping what comes in, and Windows firewall has been flawless in that direction.

Online Armor running ok with Avast at the moment.

• Moderators

I'm running Vista x64 and OneCare Beta. I will probably not continue to use OneCare once it goes gold. Mainly because while it is inevitable that MS will conquer the av market in time they arent together enough to compete with Kasperksy and Nod right not.

I'm using...

Active >

Norton AV 2007

BlueTack's HOSTS Manager

Sandboxie

SpywareBlaster

WinPatrol

Windows Firewall

Scanning>

AVG Anti-Spyware

SUPERAntiSpyware

Still using Windows Firewall & Norton AV 2007, Norton's getting the boot after my 12 month subscription's finished!

• Moderators

Hi craig, sorry about your recent probs, but if I was in you're shoes, and I'd lost confidence in Norton, I wouldn't leave it on my system until the subscription ran out.

But of course that's only my personal choice.

If and when you decide to get rid, you'll probably know it's not one of the easiest things to remove. I was using it myself until earlier this year, so I've first hand experience of that.

As you may already know, you can download the "Norton Removal Tool" from Symantec.

Available here:

But there's also a step by step guide to getting rid of it completely manually, provided you're confident with going into the registry. The guide also highly recommends the use of CCleaner in the removal process.

It seems a reasonably straightforward operation, but it might be a good idea if any of the more knowledgeable guys could give it a onceover.

Available here:

Hope this helps.

I've changed a couple of things.

Out:

BoClean

Nod32

Ghost Security Suite HIPS (AppDefend/RegDefend)

Look 'n' Stop firewall

Replaced by:

Antivir Premium

Online Armor Security Suite

On demand:

Ad-Aware

Superantispyware

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

TrojanHunter

And SpywareBlaster

Firefox w. AdBlock Plus and NoScript

I also hold licenses to Sunbelt's Counterspy and some other stuff, but you can't have everything installed...

Still using the same:

* Common Sense

Hahaha...wow...I should have thought of that one!

I'm running Vista x64 and OneCare Beta. I will probably not continue to use OneCare once it goes gold. Mainly because while it is inevitable that MS will conquer the av market in time they arent together enough to compete with Kasperksy and Nod right not.

I would never trust my O/S by itself. And I read online that, for lack of a better term, OneCare flat out sucks. I would be careful Caldor.

AJ

OneCare had problems with detection rates - as a product concept though it's new ground and Norton copied it with their 360 product. I participated in the OneCare beta because I am obligated to - detection rates are now much better and I would point out that the Storm worm was detected by OneCare where I understand only Kaspersky also did before the IDs were added by the AV companies. I do not currently consider OneCare to be as strong as KasperSky and Nod.

MS has an uncanny ability to eventually win the day and I'm convinced in a few years the situation will be different.

• Moderators
Well, you decided to give WWDC another try after all...

Well actually I had to manually disable NetBIOS via the Windows settings, then run WWDC which then didn't kill my connection. I noticed after enabling WWDC's protection that my Windows Firewall log barely has anything in it anymore.

Well actually I had to manually disable NetBIOS via the Windows settings, then run WWDC which then didn't kill my connection.

I had NetBIOS already disabled via Windows settings, before i started to use WWDC. If i close NetBIOS via WWDC, i lose my connection.

Btw, you can test that your NetBIOS is secured by going to Shields UP! website and taking a "File Sharing" test.

I noticed after enabling WWDC's protection that my Windows Firewall log barely has anything in it anymore.

Yes, it does a good job with closing some critical Windows ports. There's a registry setting to disable DCOM, but even doing so, DCOM port (135) is still open. With WWDC you can close it completely.

Hi craig, sorry about your recent probs, but if I was in you're shoes, and I'd lost confidence in Norton, I wouldn't leave it on my system until the subscription ran out.

But of course that's only my personal choice.

If and when you decide to get rid, you'll probably know it's not one of the easiest things to remove. I was using it myself until earlier this year, so I've first hand experience of that.

As you may already know, you can download the "Norton Removal Tool" from Symantec.

Available here:

But there's also a step by step guide to getting rid of it completely manually, provided you're confident with going into the registry. The guide also highly recommends the use of CCleaner in the removal process.

It seems a reasonably straightforward operation, but it might be a good idea if any of the more knowledgeable guys could give it a onceover.

Available here:

Hope this helps.

Hi Dennis :) , and thanks for the links.

I guess I'm just stalling on getting rid of Norton AV, because I've herd that it's not that easy to get rid of!

And because I actually paid for it! I want my moneys worth from it!

Then again are the headaches worth it?

• Moderators
Hi Dennis :) , and thanks for the links.

I guess I'm just stalling on getting rid of Norton AV, because I've herd that it's not that easy to get rid of!

And because I actually paid for it! I want my moneys worth from it!

Then again are the headaches worth it?

Would you believe it? Speak of the devil and all that.

I've just changed from Windows Firewall to Online Armor, and this is what my security centre now tells me:

t_NortonShitem_4171192.jpg

Norton has only been off my system for like...ages.

So, I'm gonna follow that manual removal guide and see what turns up.

• Moderators

Thanks for that Tony. Problem solved.

nortongone.jpg

Isn't that a sight to gladden the heart. :D

After doing this, and recognising the "System32/wbem/repository" path, I remember now that I think it was Humpty posted a solution for this, but not via the Command Line, quite some time ago.

I took note at the time, but I should have taken notes. ;)

Thanks again.