avg free now has pop up ad?

rridgely

I just got home and noticed that my one desktop with avg free on it had a IE window open to an ad for avg. :(

I think I'm going to dump it now and install antivir because at least I can disable that pop up. :rolleyes:

I haven't had that happen yet on 4 machines here with it installed. Hope it doesn't because that would be very disappointing. I really like AVG. If it does I will try Avast. I hear too many problems about updates with Antivir.

Yesterday when I'd right click the little icon in my system tray and then click "check for updates" an IE window would open and take me to their site but it's not doing it today. I wonder if they had a bug in one of their updates yesterday.

even though i don't use AVG Anti-Virus i can say that this update that contains this Ad only last for a short while. at least we all hope so.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

• Moderators

It hasn't happened again so maybe it was a one time thing. If it only happens like once a month from now on I wouldn't care but it better not be like the antivir one and come every auto update(yeah I know the antivir one is supposed to come only once per day but that hasn't been the case when I used it.)

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for dragging this post up from the dead, but rridgely was proved right yet again.

My browser was launched and dircted to the AVG site while conducting an update. As long as its only infrequently and irregular, I can almost live with it. Any more than that, and I wouldn't even use their freeware let alone buy the pro version.

Sorry for dragging this post up from the dead, but rridgely was proved right yet again.

My browser was launched and dircted to the AVG site while conducting an update. As long as its only infrequently and irregular, I can almost live with it. Any more than that, and I wouldn't even use their freeware let alone buy the pro version.

Yeah, it happened to me for the first time this week. I don't think they'd be stupid enough to do it regularly, they'd lose an awful lot of users if they did (me included)

• Moderators
Yeah, it happened to me for the first time this week. I don't think they'd be stupid enough to do it regularly, they'd lose an awful lot of users if they did (me included)

It also happened to me this week too, but only once. It's in no way as annoying as AntiVir is with it's blatant ad, but at least the AntiVir ad can be easily blocked via Local Security Policy.