V2 versions take long time to clean

Barrie

Hi,

With v2.01.507 (and now it?s similar with V2.02.525) it takes sometimes up to four minutes to run the cleaner to remove a small amount (see below). With the previous versions of CCleaner?this type of cleaning would occur in a matter of a few seconds. What is wrong with the new CCleaner versions? This happens to me now on a regular basis; not just once in a while. Can I do something to speed it up? Nothing went wrong with the original installations.

Example:

CLEANING COMPLETE - (276.098 secs)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0.63MB removed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks,

Barrie

• 3 weeks later...

I can confirm this problem with version 2.x too.

Just cleaning only Temporary Internet Files (with size e.g. <10MB) and nothing more can take ages.

Seriously, it takes in version 1.x fractions of second and the same takes in version 2.x sometimes dozens of seconds.

Thanks for your confirmation. I've been thinking that I may re-install one of those earlier versions that seem to work so much better and faster. I'm still thinking about it--and I'm leaning in that direction. But I'll still wait a little longer. What do you think?

I can confirm this problem with version 2.x too.

Just cleaning only Temporary Internet Files (with size e.g. <10MB) and nothing more can take ages.

Seriously, it takes in version 1.x fractions of second and the same takes in version 2.x sometimes dozens of seconds.

Are you guys willing to do some testing?

This is the deal and some steps to follow:

1 - Install CCleaner 1.41.544 - let's call it CC1

2 - Install CCleaner 2.03.532 - let's call it CC2

3 - Start CC1 and CC2

4 - Select some items, press "Analyze" button on one of them (it doesn't matter if CC1 or CC2) and wait until it finishes

5 - Select the same items as above on the other instance of CC, press "Analyze" button and wait until it finishes (this one will definetly be faster independently which one this is...)

6 - Please note the difference...

7 - Keep same selected items, press "Analyze" button again on CC1 and wait

8 - Keep same selected items, press "Analyze" button again on CC2 and wait

9 - Note the difference in timing...

10 - Keep on repeating 7 and 8 and tell me which one is always faster...

Step 4 is the culprit of all this...whichever version of CCleaner analyzing/cleaning first will take the toll, because the Operating System doesn't have the files cached...after running any one once the timing will always be faster and more constant (depending on what you have running on the background)...but, CC2 has always been faster for me...Don't forget that CC2 also has Excluding funcionality which can slow down the process if you have entries in the list, but still faster...

You can't compare oranges and apples...you must run both using the same items and one after another because this is the only way that both version will act on the same data/files and have the CPU entirely for them...

I hope this helps...

Please, let me know your findings!

• Moderators

I don't have this problem (with XP and IE). CC 2.03.532 takes a little longer on secure deletion (one pass) as it now wipes temp int files properly, but it still only takes about 15 secs to clear 10 mb or so.

Rgds.

I had the same problem. But, I have noticed that the anti-virus program does something when the ccleanear is

analyzing. So, I stop the anti-virus program. Then, it shortens the time of analysis.

Are you use Avira Antivir or Active Virus Shield (I confirmed them ) ?

Then, you stop the anti-virus program or omit the ccleanear from the Anti-virus Guard.

Poor English, sorry.

• 3 weeks later...

If it helps, I noticed a significant increase in time between 2.02.x and 2.03.x versions. The analysis has lengthened by about a factor of 4 or 5, and the clean up (using secure delete) around twice that.

Not sure about going backwards in levels, still hoping for a 2.04 that sorts it...