Spybot Search and Destroy 1.4

TwistedMetal

• Moderators

• Moderators
Its scaner might be a little faster.

I hope so with v1.3 it takes 12 minutes on my old Win98 system.

Some of the new features in v1.4:

First native multi-installation scanner

On PE boot CDs as well as on any system with multiple installations of Windows 2000 or later, Spybot-S&D 1.4 is able to scan the other installations as well, including the registry. From what we know, Spybot-S&D is the first anti-spyware solution that offers inactive registry scanning as a native feature.

Speed boost-ups

Spybot-S&D 1.4 should work noticably faster than 1.3 during scans. And if you still don't like to wait, you can play our easter egg while scanning.

Improved tools

We've improved the Tools section that Spybot-S&D offers in advanced mode - the process list now offers a list of open network connection per application (Windows 2000 or newer only), helping you to quickly identify which applications are local and which do use connections to the outside. Our detection mechanisms have also been updated, from detecting and cleaning services over protocol filters to the afore-mentioned scanning in inactive installations registries.

Graphics remake, and more

We've replaced the old home made icons with a bunch of great graphics provided by the guys at Yellow Icon Studio to make the user interface look smoother. But while this is highly visible on the surface, there have been more than 104 important changes underneath.

• Moderators

What the hell is that "easter egg" thing. I clicked on it and some stupid game popped up. I was going to try to play it for a minute but I couldnt figure it out. Why couldnt they have had the "easter egg" be breakout instead?

I don't think this is really a problem, but I thought I better check with you guys.

On any machines running MS AntiSpyware, that I have put Spybot v1.4 on, I get a warning from MS AntiSpyware that a website called 139.com is trying to be added to the trusted zone, I have blocked this and everything seems OK.

So I installed Spybot v1.4 on a Windows ME machine which obviously cannot have MS AntiSpyware installed on it, I then expected to see 139.com in the trusted zone but it wasn't.

This made me think it must be a problem with MS AntiSpyware and not Spybot v1.4 as I first thought.

Incidentally, 139.com appears to be a chinese site so visiting that site did not give me any clues.

I know one of you tech guys will have an answer to this....I hope so anyway.

The concept of the 'trusted zone' is a huge security risk and should never, ever, ever, be used. The fact that something stuck itself there is of huge concern. It's most likely that you're infected with spyware.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

Definately not spyware that caused it, unless it is undetected spyware.

One computer is my main home computer the other is the main computer where I work, both are regulary updated and scanned by me, the one at home is updated every day and was scanned last night, and the one at work is updated when I get the chance, which I have done every day this week and was scanned today.

Both computers have AdAware, Spybot S&D, Ms AntiSpyware.

Mine also has ZoneAlarm, AVG, SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster.

The one at work has Norton Internet Security and Anti Virus.

I might put it on my other XP computer at home, even though that one is never used on the internet, just to see if it happens on that one.

:huh: I had to reply this post as I just saw it...I was really surprised to read that you also have *139mm.com* too after installed spybot. I also have that one trying to connect Trusted zone on my pc after MS gave me a warning asking if I want to block it. Of course I did block it...But it happened after I installed Spybot 1.4...I thought that was weird. Everything seemed to be ok too...Rose

• Moderators

I don't know what 139.com tries to do or not and ain't to interested to find out, however it started showing up a few years ago in my firewall log's. I've been blocking it for many years now via Internet Explorers restricted sites, and via the HOSTS file.

I don't have this problem with spybot 1.4. I have it installed and did a complete scan with Microsoft

AntiSpyware (completely updated) and found nothing.

Maybe you got a infected copy or the download site was infected.

There is something called mail.139.com in chinese.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...:en-US:official

part of Guangdong mobile communication limited of China (they make cellphone accessories I think)

also www. 135-139 .com part of TianJin Mobile Communications.

http://english.people.com.cn/english/20000...0518_41120.html

Why they pop up here is unknown. I found connections to Stickfingers a resturant chain

and the Oriental Institure @ the Univeristy of Chicago. Why?

Do not put it in trusted list unless you want to.

Trusted sites are trusted to load software on your computer.

If this site is on your trusted list then my advise is to take it off take it off.

No need to put anybody as a trusted site unless you really really trust them.

• Moderators
An excerpt from the Spybot SD help file:

II.b. Warranty

I can also give you no warranty that Spybot-S&D will remove every spy on your system, or that it will give you no false positives.

I've been getting false positives for months now about some CoolWebSearch sites I block in the HOSTS file.

Thank you Peter....I thought it was strange to have that twice on my pc and laptop aftr I installed Spybot 1.4. I got it from majorgeeks.com. I did a scan to check to make sure it is clean before I install.

I don't have anything on trusted sites listed. I don't use that. hugs, Rose :)

not in my opinion -- it is still very valuable because it has a database that differs from everyone else (just as everyone else differs from Spybot) -- and I always recommend that people run several anti-spyware utilities, no matter how seemingly insignificant they may be.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)