Empty Recycle Bin Sounds Feature

Dragoneer

I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated by most of your users if you add the ability to add a sound effect when the Recycle Bin is emptied. I have a custom sound for emptying the Recycle Bin, but I can never hear it because I use CCleaner to delete my files. PLEASE add a feature that enables one to add any sound they want for emptying the Recycle Bin.

To make it easy for computer illiterate users, you can make it automatically use whatever the sound is set to-with a check box to shut it off by unchecking, or visa-versa. I think most users (even computer literate ones) including myself would prefer the box to be checked as the default.

As I mentioned earlier, for more computer literate users, you can also have it where one can add any sound by browsing.

P.S. I will climb the highest mountain and proclaim CCleaner as the best product of its genre on the market if this suggestion is granted!

• 2 weeks later...

here's a simple workaround for now until the feature is (hopefully) added ;)

assuming you are using XP and know your way around the windows registry..

paste the following code into notepad and save as CCleanerSound.cmd

@ ECHO OFFstart "C:\Program Files\CCleaner" CCleaner.exe /AUTOsndrec32 /embedding /play /close "C:\Windows\Media\Windows XP Recycle.wav"cls

now drop that file in the root of your C drive

then go to Start>Run and type regedit, hit enter

hit Ctrl+F and search for {645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

expand that folder (on the left-hand side) and navigate to it's sub folder \Shell\Run CCleaner\command

click on command

right click on the (Default) string value (on the right-hand side) and choose "Modify"

change the "Value Data:" to C:\CCleanerSound.cmd

click Ok and you should be good to go.

Notes:

the paths to the files can easily be changed to suit your needs.

when modifying the windows registry, it is important to make a backup first.

hope this helps, and i would also like to mention this feature would be nice to have especially for the visually impared, such as myself..it is always nice to have audio confirmation of important events.

there may be a better way to do this, and if anyone can produce one please report it here.

I would really like to do this, but I couldn't make it work. I thought I followed your instructions to the letter. The bottom line was there was a quick 'DOS' window pop up and that was it. No sound wave. When I use the regular 'empty bin' it does make a sound so I know that's working. But when I did your workaround, nothing. Maybe there is an additional step that you didn't mention that needs to be done. When one does the save the CCleanerSound.cmd, does the encoding or save as type need to be changed, maybe?

Thanks for any addition info,

Eddie

here's a simple workaround for now until the feature is (hopefully) added ;)

assuming you are using XP and know your way around the windows registry..

paste the following code into notepad and save as CCleanerSound.cmd

@ ECHO OFFstart "C:\Program Files\CCleaner" CCleaner.exe /AUTOsndrec32 /embedding /play /close "C:\Windows\Media\Windows XP Recycle.wav"cls

now drop that file in the root of your C drive

then go to Start>Run and type regedit, hit enter

hit Ctrl+F and search for {645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

expand that folder (on the left-hand side) and navigate to it's sub folder \Shell\Run CCleaner\command

click on command

right click on the (Default) string value (on the right-hand side) and choose "Modify"

change the "Value Data:" to C:\CCleanerSound.cmd

click Ok and you should be good to go.

Notes:

the paths to the files can easily be changed to suit your needs.

when modifying the windows registry, it is important to make a backup first.

hope this helps, and i would also like to mention this feature would be nice to have especially for the visually impared, such as myself..it is always nice to have audio confirmation of important events.

there may be a better way to do this, and if anyone can produce one please report it here.

I would really like to do this, but I couldn't make it work. I thought I followed your instructions to the letter. The bottom line was there was a quick 'DOS' window pop up and that was it. No sound wave. When I use the regular 'empty bin' it does make a sound so I know that's working. But when I did your workaround, nothing. Maybe there is an additional step that you didn't mention that needs to be done. When one does the save the CCleanerSound.cmd, does the encoding or save as type need to be changed, maybe?

Thanks for any addition info,

Eddie

hmmm..not really sure why it's not working. what version of windows are you on? it works fine over here on all three of my (XP Home) computers.

check that the files (CCleaner.exe, Windows XP Recycle.wav) are where they should be. also make sure "sndrec32" is in the system32 folder. if you are seeing a dos window pop up, that's a good sign - does your CCleanerSound.cmd file have a gear icon?

has anyone else had success?

Success! Yea!

You know it does help if you 'actually' have the sndrec32.exe in your system32 folder. Huh! LOL. You were correct, I did not have it. Downloaded, placed in system32 folder, applied your 'code' but modified to use 'my' wav and it worked. By the way, I have windows xp pro.

Thanks again Stopmagic,

Eddie

hmmm..not really sure why it's not working. what version of windows are you on? it works fine over here on all three of my (XP Home) computers.

check that the files (CCleaner.exe, Windows XP Recycle.wav) are where they should be. also make sure "sndrec32" is in the system32 folder. if you are seeing a dos window pop up, that's a good sign - does your CCleanerSound.cmd file have a gear icon?

has anyone else had success?

glad to hear it finally worked. i'm looking into a possible solution to hide the command window from popping up..it's not that big of a deal, but can get annoying when you run it several times a day. the fix may have to involve another piece of software, so it might not even be worth it. will report back later...