Services.msc Settings?

Tom AZ

This is probably an unreasonable request, but I'll ask anyway. I'm having some issues with my Windows XP (Home) machine which necessitates very frequent re-boots. I was wondering if someone with a pretty smooth running XP computer could share their "Services" settings. I'd like to know which are set on Automatic, which are Manual and which are Disabled.

As I said . . . probably a lot to ask (and I know there are variables from machine to machine), but this list of settings might be very helpful. Thanks in advance to anyone who has the time to wade into this.

• Moderators

This is why you should leave this stuff alone or at least take notes of the changes you make when you do things like change services. The small improvements(if any) you get from tweaking are quickly offset by the numerous issues that often arise from it.

One thing you could try if you haven't already is dial a fix. It sets a lot of key windows settings back to their MS default level in order to get a properly running machine.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4899.html

When you say something is "necessating very frequent reboots" what do you mean? Why are you having to reboot.. are you actually being prompted/forced to reboot?

I was wondering if someone with a pretty smooth running XP computer could share their "Services" settings..

Yep, I'll share my settings but I don't advise anyone trying to do what I have done as I have deleted, not just stopped many services and I do have ghost images as backups.

Extremely fast, smooth and secure, IMHO anyways. :blink:

• Moderators

I haven't looked through the website, however Services.msc has a link to Microsoft's TechNet Online Resources to troubleshoot and fix problems.

There's this services removal guide with "recommended settings." I've used it myself to set some services to Manual or Disabled. Use at your own risk.

Other than that searching for a site that lists what's Automatic, Manual, Disabled by default may be the best bet.

When you say something is "necessating very frequent reboots" what do you mean? Why are you having to reboot.. are you actually being prompted/forced to reboot?

Thanks, rridgely, for suggesting Dial-A-Fix. I have never used this, but I'll take a look at it. I assume it's fairly straight forward and fairly safe to use. Is there anything in this program I should NOT use?

In response to your question, I intentionally avoided being too specific because it's a little hard to describe -- but, yes, I am being forced to reboot.

Basically, what happens is that everything runs just fine -- then very abruptly (at least once a day) the overall responsiveness deteriorates significantly -- everything becomes very very slow (switching screens, loading programs, etc.) -- then I notice that some of my screen graphics aren't filling completely -- and that's about the end -- it just freezes and I have to reboot. Once I reboot, everything is wonderful again :D until the next time.

To put it another way, it just seems like something gets all "clogged" up -- that my computer just can't deal with any more stuff (whatever "any more stuff" is??) -- and the reboot just cleans it out.

• Moderators

Yeah dial a fix is really easy to use. Just open it up, press the green checkmarks and then press go. It will run through a list of common things that go wrong with windows and put them at their default level.

I remember you mentioning this problem before now. This sounds like its either something screwy with windows going on, you have some bad program running maybe, or maybe you dont have enough ram/the ram is going bad? But I dont think that it would seem fixed if you rebooted if it was bad.

Did you ever post a hijackthis log with this problem? I cant remember.

Yeah dial a fix is really easy to use. Just open it up, press the green checkmarks and then press go. It will run through a list of common things that go wrong with windows and put them at their default level.

I remember you mentioning this problem before now. This sounds like its either something screwy with windows going on, you have some bad program running maybe, or maybe you dont have enough ram/the ram is going bad? But I dont think that it would seem fixed if you rebooted if it was bad.

Did you ever post a hijackthis log with this problem? I cant remember.

You are right, I have asked about this before -- and unfortunately, it's still not resolved. I have tried to eliminate things along the way and I'm quite sure it's not a memory problem or a graphics card problem.

About Dial-A-Fix . . . do you suggest just checking all of the options and let it do its thing?

Also, in answer to your question, yes, a while back I did post a HijackThis log, but quite honestly, I don't remember if it was for this issue or if it was for a possible spyware issue.

This is probably an unreasonable request, but I'll ask anyway. I'm having some issues with my Windows XP (Home) machine which necessitates very frequent re-boots. I was wondering if someone with a pretty smooth running XP computer could share their "Services" settings. I'd like to know which are set on Automatic, which are Manual and which are Disabled.

As I said . . . probably a lot to ask (and I know there are variables from machine to machine), but this list of settings might be very helpful. Thanks in advance to anyone who has the time to wade into this.

A lot of good info. Thanks to everyone.

. . .Basically, what happens is that everything runs just fine -- then very abruptly (at least once a day) the overall responsiveness deteriorates significantly -- everything becomes very very slow (switching screens, loading programs, etc.) . . .

Had 2 ideas. All at once! :lol:

1. Processor heating up?? Seem to have read that that will result in slowdown.

2. Post a current HJT log, maybe an old problem is back.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.