not sure now, problem starting though

beatlebryce

My computer is not starting up. When I start it up, it goes past the all the driver and device screens, I lose the feed to my monitor and nothing happens. The computer continues to load, but the little light on my monitor that says there is an input goes off, but my monitor power light stays green. I thought it might be the video card, so I put in another in, but the same thing happened. I have restarted it a few times to see if it had fixed itself, but nothing still. Sometimes it goes to the actual Windows XP splash screen with the loading bar, but after that, it stops giving the feed. I switched back to the original video card, and its doing the same thing again. Please help. I don't know what to do.

Windows XP

1536 ram

pentium 4 3.2 ghz

maxtor 210 gb hdd

Anything else, just ask!

is this a new occurance? were you able to boot up fine before this? or has it always been like this?

how long have you had the monitor?

if it's fairly old, the backlight could have just died out.. do you have another monitor you can switch with, and test if that one works?

one of my monitors died out a few months ago. it would actually stay on for a few seconds.. sometimes it even made it all the way to the desktop, but the monitor would just die and and go blank after a few moments.

i had to buy a new one

• Moderators

If you have plugged in your monitor to another computer and everything is fine, it's not the monitor.

If you have plugged in another working monitor to your computer and it doesn't work, it's the computer.

If you can boot into safe mode and reach the desktop then that's something stopping you in normal startup such as malware, drivers, software conflict.

I had a strange problem a year or so ago where my computer wouldn't load properly and although it may sound strange this worked straight away and now I do this a couple of times a year.

Pull the plug for the computer from the wall, press and hold in the tower start button for over a minute, then plug the computer back to the wall socket and try again.

What this does is when you push in the start button it uses the static electric inside the tower to try and start the machine as there is no direct power. My computer had a build up of static inside which was causing havoc to the machine.

Of course this may not be the case for you, but I am sure you are willing to try most ideas at the moment to try and narrow things down.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

It's not the monitor, each one is the primary monitor of another pc, and the problematic computer was plugged into those during transport.

Tried the static electricity trick, but no luck.

Now the computer is only going as far as turning on for one second, but then turns back off. The light on the mobo says there is power coming in, so it cant be the PS, as it was going on before, just not for more than the splash screen.

Now what? :unsure:

It's not the monitor, each one is the primary monitor of another pc, and the problematic computer was plugged into those during transport.

Tried the static electricity trick, but no luck.

Now the computer is only going as far as turning on for one second, but then turns back off. The light on the mobo says there is power coming in, so it cant be the PS, as it was going on before, just not for more than the splash screen.

Now what? :unsure:

You mentioned something about it being in transport? Has this happened since after that and if so could the hard drive (or connection) have come slightly loose? This happened with my old laptop and all I did was open it and seat the hard drive in securely, even though it didn't seem loose it did the trick. Might be worth just opening the case and checking everything is seated and connected properly if it has been moved.

You mentioned something about it being in transport? Has this happened since after that and if so could the hard drive (or connection) have come slightly loose? This happened with my old laptop and all I did was open it and seat the hard drive in securely, even though it didn't seem loose it did the trick. Might be worth just opening the case and checking everything is seated and connected properly if it has been moved.

The problem happened before it was moved. It was moved to me so I could take a look at it. I had checked all connections before, but as far as its gotten it to boot is the splash screen, and then it cuts out. The computer still continues to load, but no video after that point.