Stand-by vs. Hibernate

docta13

I'm running XP and I've seen a lot of debate over many different forums about what to do with your computer when you aren't using it. Personally I am not a big fan of turning off my computer every day....instead I usually only completely power down about once a week.

I often have AIM on during the day and at night I like to put it in a powered down state. I've read that hibernate is the safest method to use when you know that you are powering down for an extended period of time, and that stand-by should only be used for a matter of an hour or two.

Can you guys give me any insight as to how often I should completely shut off my computer and and if/when I should use hibernate or stand-by for certain? I just wanted to make sure I'm treating my baby correctly!

I've read that hibernate is the safest method to use when you know that you are powering down for an extended period of time, and that stand-by should only be used for a matter of an hour or two.
^ I agree.

I don't ever turn my computer off.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

I leave it on, until I have to turn it off to move to a new apartment :P

It has a 'blank screen' screensaver set that comes up after 30 minutes - and that is it. No standby, no turning off parts of my hardware, etc. Doesn't even turn my monitor off. I physically turn the monitor off when I walk away from it.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

I leave it on, until I have to turn it off to move to a new apartment :P

It has a 'blank screen' screensaver set that comes up after 30 minutes - and that is it.  No standby, no turning off parts of my hardware, etc.  Doesn't even turn my monitor off.  I physically turn the monitor off when I walk away from it.

hmmmm sounds like the extreme there my friend.....I hope you don't fry your computer haha

For short time away from the computer stand-by is fine, but for extended time, then shut it down is better, or if you want to resume what you was doing, then hibernate instead.

DjLizard, why dont you have it auto power off the monitor after a while, or goto standby and turn of parts of hardware, that way your hardware would last longer, your would get cheaper power bolts, you would save electricity and would be better for the nature.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

Rofl.  Pure pwnage.  :D

U w3r3 t0ld! pwnz0red!11 one one

Anyway, I leave my computer on, I physically turn off my monitor... I have it running SETI/BOINC Client so it's on a lot... but I have to turn it off sometimes so it can cool off, SETI runs my CPU @ 100% :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

"Because I don't want to."

Pretty bad reason.

Turn it off and you save life-lenght of the monitor, you save power, you get cheaper bills.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

"Because I don't want to."

Pretty bad reason.

Turn it off and you save life-lenght of the monitor, you save power, you get cheaper bills.

I believe it's very obvious and apparent. No one cares what you think. All you do is suggest alternatives instead of helping to solve problems. Go away.

Just to add my tuppence worth,

My computer gets turned on at about 3pm when the kids get home from school and stays on until I go to bed, (as I am the last to use it), at about 12.30am.

Weekends it could be on from midday until 2am, and we just press the sleep button on the keyboard and turn the monitor off if we are all going out for a while.

This has always been my routine and works for me.

If it was necessary to turn it off all the time, the folks that built it would have put a "stop" button beside the start button?

If it isn't broke, tweak it.

If it was necessary to turn it off all the time, the folks that built it would have put a "stop" button beside the start button?

Thats quite a cool comment, it is kind of strange that to stop a computer you have to click a button called start.