"C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Installations"

stopmagic

C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Installations is a Systems Folder and will not be visible unless you enable it in the View that shows its status

post-1268-1192912352_thumb.png

post-1268-1192912352_thumb.png

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

I've got that folder, it's not hidden, and the only thing it's ever contained is "MS Image Resizer PowerToy".

downloadefiles_1.jpg

The one that really gets on my tits is the one next to it, "Downloaded Program Files".

java.jpg

Each of those files are 0 bytes. I keep binning it, and it keeps coming back, although it has no effect on the installed Java applications.

It might be a good idea if someone told me what this folder is about and why it keeps coming back with files of 0 bytes.

Does it have a purpose?

And why am I expecting someone to say "Yes, it's absolutely essential!!" :lol:

My Folder has those files

post-1268-1192921885_thumb.png

post-1268-1192921861_thumb.png

post-1268-1192921828_thumb.png

Sun Java is a weird animal and comes from a planet that is inhabited by even weirder people ;)

post-1268-1192921828_thumb.png

post-1268-1192921861_thumb.png

post-1268-1192921885_thumb.png

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

Your Java files are the same as mine, bytes...none. Change to thumbnail view and I'm sure you'll see 0 bytes if you right click and examine properties.

The strange thing is right clicking only give two options...Update or Remove.

Maybe someone will pass this way and enlighten us. :D

The one that really gets on my tits is the one next to it, "Downloaded Program Files".

It might be a good idea if someone told me what this folder is about and why it keeps coming back with files of 0 bytes.

Does it have a purpose

Those are active-x programs. Mine contains three Java entries (normal part of Java install) as well as PC Pitstop, Eset online scanner, Windows Genuine Advantage Validation.

For example when you use an online scanner with IE and it asks to download an active-x control, that is where they go ;)

hi. i ask because i looked in there and there was over 200 MB of files like macromedia flash 8, diskkeeper setup, microsoft virtual desktop powertoy a folder called something like {09871234-123498761234-123498761234} etc. etc. (i can't remember them all) so i went ahead and deleted them as i have backup copies of all those programs.

all those programs still work fine. i suppose they are copied there in case the installation becomes corrupt?

p.s. using windows XP home SP2

• Moderators

Yes, the Downloaded Installations folder is where some programs will install their setup files. This is in case you want to modify or reinstall the program. I did have this added to winapp2.ini some while back, but ultimately it was decided for the best to remove it. As it did cause some problems, not real problems, but more of a pain.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

• Moderators

That must be a British term, never heard of it which is probably why I'm laughing so hard. :lol:

I did have this added to winapp2.ini some while back, but ultimately it was decided for the best to remove it. As it did cause some problems, not real problems, but more of a pain.

Yeah, it would totally break Microsoft's Windows Live Safety Scanner which made it a real difficult chore to get working again, and to uninstall.

strange how all you guys have that directory, and I don't..

I have Windows XP Home SP2

ehh... I guess I could of just deleted it a long time ago and just forgot about doing it

actually, I think that's probably what happened.. (I used to browse the entire drive and delete any junk files I came across. OCD ftw!)

anyways, that file is non-existant on my PC and everything still works perfectly fine.. so I think it's probably safe..

you can always make a 'backup' folder.. then go ahead and clean it out. if any programs start acting weird, you can always put the files back :)

then maybe after awhile (a few weeks?) if nothing goes wrong, you can then delete the backup folder

cause 200mb is a lot! I wouldn't want to be wasting that space if I didn't need to..

• Moderators
Those are active-x programs. Mine contains three Java entries (normal part of Java install) as well as PC Pitstop, Eset online scanner, Windows Genuine Advantage Validation.

For example when you use an online scanner with IE and it asks to download an active-x control, that is where they go ;)

Thanks for that JD, and the other replies.

I was puzzled really about the 0 bytes aspect of those files.

Yes, the Downloaded Installations folder is where some programs will install their setup files. This is in case you want to modify or reinstall the program. I did have this added to winapp2.ini some while back, but ultimately it was decided for the best to remove it. As it did cause some problems, not real problems, but more of a pain.

i understand. will you possibly consider adding it to winsys.ini as an LangSecRef = 3004? :P

I was puzzled really about the 0 bytes aspect of those files.

Yeah, they're always 0bytes, not sure why though. It will usually say under the status column if there is something wrong with any of the items in there (will say damaged instead of installed)