Running CCleaner as a scheduled task ... not working

GJim

Previous version (1.39) of CCleaner would run just fine as a scheduled task. Present version (2.01) gives an error code (0X2) when run as a scheduled task. /AUTO option is included in the Properties of the scheduled task command line.

Using Windows XP-Pro with all patches/updates installed.

I even went back and installed 1.39, worked just fine ... re-installed 2.01, same error code in scheduled tasks.

I like to have CCleaner run at 2:00 a.m. every day.

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

G'Jim c):{-

• Moderators

Perhaps this "may" be of some help:

Go to: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_t.htm#ts

This is if the Task Scheduler won't function properly.

If that doesn't work, or try this first instead:

Your command line to run CCleaner could or should like like any of the three below:

"C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" /AUTO"%ProgramFiles%\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" /AUTO"C:\Progra~1\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" /AUTO

• 3 weeks later...

The reason yours won't work might be the same reason CCleaner v2.x won't run as a task run by Acronis True Image as I detailed here v2.x no longer works when launched by Acronis True Image. I had lots of views but no replies.

I was aware that some programs won't run as a scheduled task without a password, which means that your Windows account has to have a password as well. Acronis True Image isn't using the scheduler though, and doesn't include a place to enter a password for the external command you can have it run.

At least in your case, they could have conceivably made CCleaner v2.x conform to how it's supposed to act, which as a scheduled task means it requires a password. If that's the case and they did that on purpose, it's unlikely they'll revert back to their old method, even though it worked better for you and I.

You can test it easily with a password; if you do let us know here. Next you'll probably tell me that you were already running the scheduled task with a password or have already tried it. :D

Andavari, can you confirm or find out for us if they made such a change in v2.x?

FYI, I just tested Acronis True Image with the new version as of today, v2.02.525, with the same result.

• 1 month later...

I'm running windows Vista Premium and have the exact same problem. I've reverted to version 1.41, whichs works ok.

I just want to make one observation on this problem. While the scheduled task returns (0x2) as the last run result on

CCleaner versions higher than 1.41, it still cleans what it is set to clean on these higher versions. :blink:

• Moderators
Andavari, can you confirm or find out for us if they made such a change in v2.x?

I had no idea anyone had placed further replies in this thread, sorry for the late reply.

Unfortunately I'm not privy to such information. I only know about as much as everyone else does, and only what's told to us in the version news/changes in the Announcements area of the forums.

I had no idea anyone had placed further replies in this thread, sorry for the late reply.

Unfortunately I'm not privy to such information. I only know about as much as everyone else does, and only what's told to us in the version news/changes in the Announcements area of the forums.

That's okay, I'm patient. :) For some reason, I never get email notifcations of responses by this forum even though I have it set to, so I have this message saved in Website-Watcher to let me know when there's changes. Thanks for the reply!

I'm running windows Vista Premium and have the exact same problem. I've reverted to version 1.41, whichs works ok.

I just want to make one observation on this problem. While the scheduled task returns (0x2) as the last run result on

CCleaner versions higher than 1.41, it still cleans what it is set to clean on these higher versions. :blink:

Thanks for the interesting info, Patrick.

That's okay, I'm patient. :) For some reason, I never get email notifcations of responses by this forum even though I have it set to, so I have this message saved in Website-Watcher to let me know when there's changes. Thanks for the reply!

Thanks for the interesting info, Patrick.

This will only be a small plug for Cobian Backup.

If you create a dummy task, and schedule an "Event" using Cobian Backup it will work with at least version CCleaner version 2.01.507, and no Windows password needed. In fact you don't need the Windows password with the Cobian Backup for any of the scheduled tasks I've tried including CCleaner, Spybot Search and Destroy, AdAware, and WinAmp Playlists (my alarm clock).

Cobian is open source now. You're welcome to get it from my site http://www.viclovan.com/downloads2new.htm#Backup or theirs, to try the scheduler, not to mention that it's a good backup program. Anyhow the "/Auto" works that way. I run it as:

EXECUTE,"C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" /AUTO

Hope this workaround gets you by.

Vic

Hi everyone,

A fix is schedule for next release.

It was just the return code when CCleaner exits that wasn't being set to 0 (no error).

Just to clarify, even though the "Last Result" is set to 0x2 in v2.x, CCleaner successfully executes its cleaning procedures. You can double check that by running CCleaner again after the task has finished and press the Analyze button on the selected items...everything should be cleaned...if not, let me know...

Thanks

This will only be a small plug for Cobian Backup.

Cobian is open source now. You're welcome to get it from my site http://www.viclovan.com/downloads2new.htm#Backup or theirs, to try the scheduler, not to mention that it's a good backup program. Anyhow the "/Auto" works that way. I run it as:

Very interesting. I will look into it and perhaps try it out sometime to see if it has advantages (or disadvantages) over Acronis True Image.

A fix is schedule for next release.

It was just the return code when CCleaner exits that wasn't being set to 0 (no error).

That's great news! Thank you very much!

• 1 month later...

My thanks to the team for fixing this problem.