CCleaner Community Forums
Sign in to follow this  
asdf

Removing Unused File Extensions

sorry if this has been answered before but, is it really safe to remove unused file extensions? I can't see these documented anywhere.

It looks safe but I haven't found any mention of it FAQ or forums, so I'm a bit uneasy. I've got about 1000 of them listed!! :blink:

TIA B)

Perfectly safe. if you are worried, back it up the first time.

It's completely safe.

WinXP: If you open a folder that contains a file, or file's with an extension that isn't registered to open with any program it automatically get's stored in the registry.

I have deleted unused file extensions many times and its always worked great. So I think it is very safe.

And as gunner mentioned, you can always do a backup of the registry first if you wish or have doubts.

Andavari and DjLizard, hehe that is silly.

I have deleted unused file extensions many times and its always worked great. So I think it is very safe.

And as gunner mentioned, you can always do a backup of the registry first if you wish or have doubts.

Andavari and DjLizard, hehe that is silly.

Not silly, it's fact. DjLizard is definitely the best expert on computers and technology I've ever known.

New>Text File>file.crap

Highlight the file, look at its properties, blah blah. Diddle around for about 60 seconds, then run CCleaner's issues scan... blam. Unused file extension: .crap

Dont get me wrong, I dont doubt what DjLizard said, I mererly meant that it was silly of Windows to behave in that specific way.

I mererly meant that it was silly of Windows to behave in that specific way.

I agree. Without programs like CCleaner letting things like that go unchecked would litter the registry.