Avant Browser

Anthony A

That's the way I have Firefox set up. To check that it is the default browser (because my daughter uses IE7), and subsequently I opened and closed Avant and Firefox at least half a dozen times and Firefox never popped up a window stating that it wasn't the default.

I'm more than happy to try it again Anthony because I can imagine how frustrated you must feel.

I can empathise with the problem because no matter how I set up my internet settings, I cannot get Opera to connect my broadband. Weird.

I'll come back to you.

It's even more annoying for me because I can reproduce this problem on 3 different machines so it's not some flukey thing with one machine.

In the mean time I just unchecked the option in Firefox to check if it is the default so I don't get the warning message every time I launch it after running Avant.

• Moderators

Gave it another try.

avant1.jpg

On install I unchecked the box and selected no.

avant2.jpg

Ran Avant and made sure the "check default browser" was unchecked.

avant3.jpg

While Avant was running, checked as to whether IE had been made default. The computer said no.

avant4.jpg

Ran Firefox a couple of times with no message popping up, and then ran Avant again, checking the default browser setting of IE again. And again no.

avant5.jpg

Ran IE7 this time and checked the default browser setting. And once again, no.

Pretty much tried everything Anthony, and Firefox remained the default browser.

Yep, I've always had that checked.

There isn't something checked in IE that effects Avants browser settings, is there?

Probably a daft question, but you never know. I had a look myself and couldn't see anything.

Not that I know of.

What about your system wide settings in Program Access and Defaults. I have 6 browsers installed but only 2 show up in the list to check so I just check use my current browser.

MWSnap023%202007-11-23,%2019_09_52.jpg

• Moderators

I only have two browsers, and obviously they both show up in that window:

20071124011435.jpg

I think it very likely the "Program Access and Defaults" does not have any influence on the four not shown in your screenshot, Firefox being one of them.

Either Avant or IE will always be the default browser as they are the only two under the influence of the system wide settings.

Maybe if you removed and then reinstalled them all, obviously Firefox first with whatever second, and then set your defaults before installing any others, you would hopefully have Firefox permanently set as default.

This is just an opinion based on logic Anthony, but it seems to make sense.

I only have two browsers, and obviously they both show up in that window:

20071124011435.jpg

I think it very likely the "Program Access and Defaults" does not have any influence on the four not shown in your screenshot, Firefox being one of them.

Either Avant or IE will always be the default browser as they are the only two under the influence of the system wide settings.

Maybe if you removed and then reinstalled them all, obviously Firefox first with whatever second, and then set your defaults before installing any others, you would hopefully have Firefox permanently set as default.

This is just an opinion based on logic Anthony, but it seems to make sense.

In your screen shot you have "use my current web browser" as your default and Fireofx unchecked but you say Firefox is working as your default anyways because you set it as default from within Firefox. It should work the same for me than but it doesn't.

I don't think reinstalling my browsers and installing Firefox will make it show up in the program access and defaults because Firefox is always the first Browser I install anyways and it's not showing up in there now. I would think selecting "use my current web browser" should be all that is needed. Than you should be able to select the default browser from within the browser's own options.

I'm at a loss with this. It only happens with Avant and it happens on several machines.

• Moderators

The thing is, I always select Firefox as my default browser in that custom setup, as below.

default_1.jpg

But close the window and open it again, and it appears the same as yours.

Have you tried selecting the top option, "computer manufacturer", after setting your defaults in the custom window? As below.

default2.jpg

Anythings worth a try, if you haven't already tried it, and I'm now fresh out of ideas.

The thing is, I always select Firefox as my default browser in that custom setup, as below.

default_1.jpg

But close the window and open it again, and it appears the same as yours.

Have you tried selecting the top option, "computer manufacturer", after setting your defaults in the custom window? As below.

default2.jpg

Anythings worth a try, if you haven't already tried it, and I'm now fresh out of ideas.

Same thing happens with me when I select a specific browser under the "custom" section of "program access and defaults". It resets itself with the option to "use my current web browser".

My "computer manufacturer" section looks like yours. If I select it IE becomes default because it is the only option in that section.

This is just one of those things where the computer gods are giving it to me in the a$$.