A little observation I made today...

Forte Lambardi

Ok, so I use 3rd party defragmentation tools. When I got analyze how much framentation is on my drive with Window's Defragger, it says there's lots of fragmentation (not to the point where it said "You need to defragment this drive").

Next, I deframent my computer after that report. I analyzed again and Windows Defragger says the same thing: I still have framentation. Does any know what's up with that, or is just Windows Defragmentor being idiotic?

Thanks for a response.

The best defragmenters are the ones that can run before Windows services are loaded so more files can be moved - which my be the reason

why it never looks completely defragmented. Scandefrag seems to be a good program for that purpose.

So, sometimes, mutliple defragmentations are necessary? I already defragged my computer twice (in the same month) and whenever I analyze with Windows Defrag it still shows alot of red then there is supposed to be.

If you guys know, what is the best time to defrag your computer? I already understand that before the PC starts it should be defragged them, but are there other times when it would be best or...?

Again, thanks guys for your responses...

So, sometimes, mutliple defragmentations are necessary? I already defragged my computer twice (in the same month) and whenever I analyze with Windows Defrag it still shows alot of red then there is supposed to be.
Try defragging in safe mode

In safe mode, limited or no services are loaded. So you're computer is only using limited set of process necessary for running the OS, so lower resources are used and may get get a faster defragmentation time.

• Moderators
In safe mode, limited or no services are loaded. So you're computer is only using limited set of process necessary for running the OS, so lower resources are used and may get get a faster defragmentation time.

I've always noticed the opposite on my WinXP Pro system, everything on it is sloooooooow in safe mode from virus scanning to defragmentation.

I see. I thought about defragging in safe mode.

The odd things is that when I used only Windows Defrag in the past, I wouldn't have such a fragmented results when I analyzed. I am going to try and defrag in Safe mode. Thanks for your responses. :) I appreciate them very much.