Cleaning computer screens

Anthony A

What are people using to clean their screens? What cleaning solution and what kind of cloth/towel? I clean the screens on four machines. I use a product called Plexus http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/frames.html. I have been using this for years on all plastics. I use high quality microfiber towels to wipe with. The results are excellent except on the one Dell lap top. This screen gets lint like crazy no matter what I do. It can't be the towel because I use the same towels on the other machines and they are totally lint free when I am done. There is something about this screen that makes it impossible to get lint free.

I used to have a screen that loves lint. I use microfibers to clean my screen. never really need a liquid unless something happened.

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.

I used to have a screen that loves lint. I use microfibers to clean my screen. never really need a liquid unless something happened.

This one screen is impossible to get lint free. The microfiber I use doesn't leave lint on anything else but this screen.

• Moderators

I've used laptop/notebook screen cleaning wipes before, but they leave this light film on the screen which is by the way only visible when the screen is turned off.

I wonder if the cleaning solution for polycarbonate lenses ("plastic eyeglasses") with a microfiber cloth would be a suitable replacement?

• Moderators

I use a Maxwell Video Screen Cleaning kit. Microfiber cloth and spray. It's the best one I have found so far, plus the spray will last you a long time. I use it on my widescreen tv, laptop, and CRT montior.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

I've used laptop/notebook screen cleaning wipes before, but they leave this light film on the screen which is by the way only visible when the screen is turned off.

I bought Fellowes Screen Wipes some time ago and noticed this same thing. I don't really like it either, but i can life with that. I think that it might help a little, if you always use some dry cloth right after you have used that wet cleaning wipe.

• Moderators

Craig I had to read that twice as I thought at first you meant this one

http://www.3mselect.co.uk/p-630-scotch-bri...urer-16-pk.aspx

I had a vision of you with your sleeves rolled up, scrubbing away :o

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I was thinking along the same lines.

Now just wait to see if anyone comes along and states they use steel wool. :lol:

IMHO, I've only typically used a clean microfiber cloth and water. Wipe once with the wet side, and then go over a 2nd time with the dry side. Most products I've ever used, short of Stoner's Invisible Glass for my glass tend to leave that film or some other trace of being used.

My $.02

IMHO, I've only typically used a clean microfiber cloth and water. Wipe once with the wet side, and then go over a 2nd time with the dry side. Most products I've ever used, short of Stoner's Invisible Glass for my glass tend to leave that film or some other trace of being used.

My $.02

Stoner's Invisible Glass is powerful stuff. I would not use that on anything plastic.

There seems to be conflicting recommendations on the web about this. Most recommend computer screen cleaner solutions you can buy they are nothing more than water and rubbing alcohol mixes. Many say not to use alcohol on plastic because it drys it out and yellows/clouds it.

• Moderators

Seems I'm the only one who vacuums my LCD screen.

Lay it right there on the floor and run over it a few times. Removes everything.

Seriously, I have a very soft brush on the hose attachment, and gently drag it across the screen. Does not scratch, and "lifts" all loose dust and lint, especially from the edges, and in the corners.

Better than the wiping effect of a cloth, which drags stuff over the screen. For any marks, a lint free cloth slightly dampened with water, or water mixed with a small amount of vinegar, or Isopropyl Alcohol.

Isopropyl Alcohol you can get cheaply from a Chemist, as long as you can convince him/her you're not gonna drink it.

First time I bought it from my local Chemists, I was asked that question. :blink:

Edit: As Andavari below, I vacuum everything. Forgot to mention that.

:lol: LOL...no hazel, it's a "microfiber" cloth for cleaning TV's, monitors, camera lenses...etc.

Probably labeled differently in different country's, the tag on the cloth says (Scotch Brite high performance cloth 3M)

• Moderators
Something I had totally forgotten about but just remembered was when I worked at an electronics store many moons ago, and the boss literally had a bottle of Windex to clean the big screen T.V. screens. :lol: A very costly mistake.

That stuff looks as if it's been around as long as Vim, which would also make a real good job of an LCD screen.

They have an interesting product at the bottom of the page:

Vim Classic Mountain Toilet Gel

They have toilets up mountains??? :blink:

• Moderators
That stuff looks as if it's been around as long as Vim, which would also make a real good job of an LCD screen.

Well that Windex also makes a mess of the plastic window tinting in cars, i.e.; use it on tinted car windows and you'll end up with bubbly or peeling tinted windows.

They have toilets up mountains??? :blink:

When you've got to go, you've got to go! :lol:

Actually I think they're referring to a "mountain scent", then again they really could be talking about real toilets on mountains. :lol:

• 5 months later...
-I've used laptop/notebook screen cleaning wipes before, but they leave this light film on the screen which is by the way only visible when the screen is turned off.

-I wonder if the cleaning solution for polycarbonate lenses ("plastic eyeglasses") with a microfiber cloth would be a suitable replacement?

- Like i mentioned in my earlier message, this happened to me also.

-I recently bought lens cleaning microfiber cloths (dry). I dampened it in a warm water. It did a very good job. Screen is now very clean and that film left by wet wipes is gone. So a lighty dampened microfiber cloth is highly recommened for LCD screens. If the screen is just dusty, then a dry microfiber cloth might be enough.

Edit: Btw, those wet screen wipes are good for cleaning all kinds of electronical equipments, like DVD-players & TVs. Removes all the dust very effectively.

The screen that was giving me the lint problem does not like damp cloths of any kind. That was the problem. I now just use my microfiber dry and it works like a charm. If there is something on the screen that requires some moisture to clean this screen will get lint no matter what cloth I use so I have it follow with a dry cloth and that gets the lint off.