Tool section: Startup

GigaDick

Tip for tool section Startup.

===================

For a long time I did check after installing a program if it added something to the Windows start section. E.g. Winamp would like users to add Winamp Agent to this section, so after starting the computer it is resident. Thus is consumes some of the computers memory. Also there are programs that are checking if there are newer versions of their software. :(

The option to delete this from the startup section in CCleaner made this easier for me. But not always? Some programs do require a certain addition to the startup section or else won?t run. By deleting this with CCleaner these programs will not work and require a new install?.Or in case a backup of the settings were made this could be restored. Manually restoring this is not an option, because one does not always know the correct command (+settings). :unsure:

After some time I did find another tool to do the job in a different way: Starter from CodeStuff. See http://codestuff.tripod.com/

With this tool the user is able to mark which Startup is allowed to start and which not. But instead of deleting the section it just enables/disables it.The tool also gives additional info! Is this something that can be added to CCleaner as well? :rolleyes:

(So I do not have to use other tools, and explain to friends/colleagues why I am using Starter i.s.o. CCleaner.) <_<

Press START to shut down.....!

u can even do this by Start > Run

type msconfig

go to startup tab

and do yer thing ..

maybe it won't work "wonders" like Starter .. but it does the job :)

Hi Ishan,

this is only partly truth. Once a item is disabled in Starter it won't show up in msconfig. So there is more... <_<

I tried this with CCleaner. [btw: I was unaware of CCleanerin the startup section, till latest versions...]

After disabling CCleanerin Starter it did not show up anymore in msconfig. In Starter it was still present, but disabled. :blink:

Nevertheless, I was not searching for a way to disable starts, because there are many other tools that can do the job.

I only suggested to add the option into CCleaner... :wacko:

Press START to shut down.....!