October Desktops

rridgely

You all bash Norton cause of you having to pay for it..and it being a resource hog...at least it WORKS! Windows Live OneCare is utterly abysmal when it comes to protecting your PC...it was the lowest scoring product in a bunch of tests...I actually read the article somewhere online...that's why it is dirt cheap...because no one wants to buy it.

Windows Defender is actually pretty good. I use AVG Anti-Spyware on top of the other two..but this is the wrong section to post in....so I'll end my commments here.

AJ

• Moderators
Andavari: What's that Temp cleaner you got?

It's just a .bat file combined with a .reg file to very quickly delete junk files, and delete some MRU junk in the registry. Nothing special, but it does get the job done in about 1-3 seconds depending solely on the amount of junk that's removed.

@ Andavari - Windows Live OneCare ---shame on you...I heard that program absolutely sucked!!!!

You got that right, it does suck, like totally! It was sucking up so many resources and slowing down everything from startup to shutdown. I just wanted to try it out since my ISP offered it as a free upgrade. Luckily Microsoft made a rather good uninstaller for it (Norton and McAfee should take note of that) because using three registry cleaners only found a handful of leftovers. AVG Anti-Virus Free was a relief to return to!

It's just a .bat file combined with a .reg file to very quickly delete junk files, and delete some MRU junk in the registry. Nothing special, but it does get the job done in about 1-3 seconds depending solely on the amount of junk that's removed.

You got that right, it does suck, like totally! It was sucking up so many resources and slowing down everything from startup to shutdown. I just wanted to try it out since my ISP offered it as a free upgrade. Luckily Microsoft made a rather good uninstaller for it (Norton and McAfee should take note of that) because using three registry cleaners only found a handful of leftovers. AVG Anti-Virus Free was a relief to return to!

Use KAV .. its damn powerful with the biggest virus database .. people complain of it being a resource hog .. but if you switch the memory scan option at startup off .. its superb ;)

Simplicity is hard.

Very nice Mr Brownstone :)

How did you change the colour of the right hand side of the start menu to green? It looks good, but I have never seen any options that allow you to do this.

Edit: I realise its probably Harmony by Vstyler :rolleyes: Still it would be nice to be able to control the colour without addons...

Cheers