Sandboxie

craigathus

Today I accidentally launched IE7 un-sandboxed, a few minuets later my AV-program was telling me it had discovered a security risk!

Adware.Mirar <_< Only low risk, however a risk just the same! :angry:

After a bit of mucking around making sure all traces of it were gone, I started to realize just how good (Sandboxie) works :D

Today I accidentally launched IE7 un-sandboxed, a few minuets later my AV-program was telling me it had discovered a security risk!

Adware.Mirar <_< Only low risk, however a risk just the same! :angry:

After a bit of mucking around making sure all traces of it were gone, I started to realize just how good (Sandboxie) works :D

But if your AV caught it anyway then it didn't really matter did it?

Hi JDPower B)

Sandboxie = 1st line of defense against Internet Nasties! <_<

My AV caught it, luckily it wasn't a bad one!

I did have to spend time making sure everything was OK.

The bottom line is...I think Sandboxie is a worth while program to have installed ;)

Luckily the AV had the nasty's signature in it's data base. ;)

If it was a zero day attack and much nastier then it could have been curtains.

Sandboxie is one of, if not the best app for secure inet browsing.

Luckily the AV had the nasty's signature in it's data base. ;)

If it was a zero day attack and much nastier then it could have been curtains.

Sandboxie is one of, if not the best app for secure inet browsing.

Hi Humpty B)

Apparently Adware.Mirar started it's unwelcome invasions into peoples PC's in 2004.

As I recall, I have you and hazelnut to thank for info regarding Sandboxie ;)

Sandboxie is good to have, but i personally don't found it totally necessary. For me using safe browser (Opera) and up-to-date AV is enough. I also got 3rd-party firewall and SpywareBlaster. After those, Sandboxie would be a little "over the top" protection.

I use Opera CeeCee and have Avira but I must admit I don't surf without sandboxie, it causes no hassles fo me to use and is just another layer.

Each to his own choice :)

It's good to be well protected, but it's not necessary, if there's not really need for that... Why you should life in a bomb shelter, if there's not going to be a war any time soon...

I mean that, if i would have constant problems with internet nasties and so on, i probably could use Sandboxie, but i do not got constant problems...

Sandboxie is good to have, but i personally don't found it totally necessary. For me using safe browser (Opera) and up-to-date AV is enough. I also got 3rd-party firewall and SpywareBlaster. After those, Sandboxie would be a little "over the top" protection.

Hi CeeCee B)

If I had a hardware firewall in a (router) as well as my AV & Anti Spyware programs, I probably wouldn't depend so much on Sandboxie.

I keep hearing good things about sandboxie so I tried it out last week. The help guide is not very good for starters. I tried it any way and got some errors every time I launched it. Since I don't get malware and none of the 9 security apps I have installed ever find anything I uninstalled Sanboxie. I wasn't in the mood to try and figure out what was wrong considering there wasn't much info on how to use available.

I keep hearing good things about sandboxie so I tried it out last week. The help guide is not very good for starters. I tried it any way and got some errors every time I launched it. Since I don't get malware and none of the 9 security apps I have installed ever find anything I uninstalled Sanboxie. I wasn't in the mood to try and figure out what was wrong considering there wasn't much info on how to use available.

Hi Anthony B)

The best place for help & info on sandboxie is at www.sandboxie.com

The only problem I have is, my browser or connection speed seems a little slower.

No slowdowns or probs here on several different drives with installs of XP and Vista.

But then again the only other security app I use is Returnil along with ghost images as backups.

Doubt if I would ever use an AV again.Maybe an online scan every now and then. ;)

Been using and beta testing since Sandboxie was ver 1.7 so you could say I am biased and a fanboy. :P

I love Sandboxie so much I have to weigh in. I installed it Friday the 14th. I was so impressed I anted up $25 by Sunday the 16th, even though there is no huge advantage to paying. I donated to CCleaner and Weather Pulse over the years because sometimes I'm just in awe of certain freeware. The reason I like this program so much is I don't think my wife would know what to do if NOD32 or one of the anti-spyware progs were to give her a warning. I have the Sandboxie/Firefox quicklaunch icon right where the Firefox icon used to be and moved Ff far to the left. I don't think my wife has ever opened Ff out of the box yet. Anyway, using the Fasterfox timer and a clean cache I ran some tests that first weekend. I randomly selected seven web sites I had bookmarked. One of them, I forget, may have been Yahoo, did load almost two seconds slower sandboxed, however, based on the rest of the results, that may have been an anomoly. The other six sites loaded less than .2 faster out of the sandbox. Two of the sites were less than .1 faster as the Fasterfox timer reads to the .000 of a second. I do test at over 4800 kb/s during nominal traffic periods so I have a reasonably good connection. Not trying to convince anyone to try it, just passing on the results of my testing.

No slowdowns or probs here on several different drives with installs of XP and Vista.

But then again the only other security app I use is Returnil along with ghost images as backups.

Doubt if I would ever use an AV again.Maybe an online scan every now and then. ;)

Been using and beta testing since Sandboxie was ver 1.7 so you could say I am biassed and a fanboy. :P

I agree and am forever in your debt, Humpty, for putting me onto Sandboxie. :) One small difference, though, I seem to notice a small slowdown after a long time on the net. Might just be my imagination.

I use a combination of Powershadow and Sandboxie.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators
you could say I am biassed and a fanboy. :P

For a moment there Humpty, I thought I'd met the first man with two bums.

But you can spell that word both ways. What a disappointment. :lol:

Biassed...Biased

r.v. bi?ased or bi?assed, bi?as?ing or bi?as?sing, bi?as?es or bi?as?ses 1. To influence in a particular, typically unfair direction; prejudice.

The help guide is not very good for starters. Since I don't get malware and none of the 9 security apps I have installed ever find anything I uninstalled Sanboxie. I wasn't in the mood to try and figure out what was wrong considering there wasn't much info on how to use available.

Exactly the same reasons I've never bothered trying it.

Like CCleaner, Sandboxie does have a decent support forum. ;)

Sandboxie Support Forum

Sandboxie FAQ's

Unlike CCleaner the help guide sucks IMO. I like a complete guide that explains all features and settings so I don't have to go hunting for them. I use the forum for problems with the app not basic how to questions that should be covered in a help guide. I find Sandboxie's guide very incomplete. I am done with programs that expect you to go on a treasure hunt to find info about how to use them. I don't have the time or Patience and they get kicked to the curb.

Someone know if the user can disable the warning that comes out after to use it 30 days?

Thanks.

Only way is to register it.

All nag screens are a pain but for the protection Sandboxie affords it's worth it.

I'm surprised computers can even run with the amount of security apps some people use. :blink:

Sandboxie is 250kb download and a meg installed with no need to update any blacklist data bases.

Sandboxie Getting Started

LMAO! See what typos will get you! :lol:

Travelling on business, I once stayed at a motel that advertised on the marquee:

FREE HBO

FREE INDOOR POO

Now how could you pass that up? :P

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.