Please help me guys!

steve1368

I've always been a little apprehensive in cleaning the registry.

This time I set a restore point with Erunt & TuneUp Utilities 2004

and did the following:-

Cleaned invalid entries using Regcleaner 4.3 about 69 items. After reboot, everything still fine, working as usual,no error message. ( there was backup kept as well)

Then accidentally cleaned with TuneUp 2004 ...about 493 invalid registry items. I freaked out.!!! Thank heavens nothing happen. After reboot, computer working fine as usual, no error message.

Then I became a little more adventurous, downloaded regscrubXP....scanned & found 47 items BUT I didn't remove it. Registry Mechanic showing about 60 over items invalid, nothing removed.

My questions is after cleaning with Regcleaner 4.3 & TuneUp Utilities 2004, why there are still more items to be cleaned when scanned with RegscrubXP, RM...this is crazy, looks like I can keep on going & going cleaning items with this scanners!!!

I wonder what Regseeker will give me IF I scanned my PC ??? :wacko:

Can someone please explain this to me. I really don't understand why I keep getting items to delete with different softwares. Can't I just use 1 registry cleaner to do the job?? If not any suggestions please?

Steve B)

• Moderators

Hey steve1368 and everyone who reads this,

You may not like what I have to say, but it's my opinion from experience. Other people's may be different. But here goes...

First off, I recommend not using TuneUp 2004, I use to use it. But, I stopped for a few reasons.

#1. I don't know what exactly it is fixing and so on...

#2. You can find other programs that will do a better job and you actually know what they do.

#3. Before I knew any better, I installed tweak programs and maintaince programs like TuneUp 2004, and it actually slowed down my system. I stop using all tweak programs (reformatted) and my system has been stable for a long time and not single error.

#4. Most programs do pointless tweaks that doesn't even effect Windows or performance.

As for Registry Cleaners...

No registry program is the same, some clean pointless entries and some actually clean really good. I have only found 1 registry program I like, Registry Mechanic is by far the best one I have ever used (I have tried tons of them). RegscrubXP is a joke, yes a joke. It's pointless, it finds tons of entries with "null" values. Sure you can clean them, but Windows will just rebuild them after every reboot or when you start the program. Alot of registry cleaners will do that to make it look like it's actually cleaning, but it's pointless, a waste of time, and it can frag your registry.

I recommend this... (This is what I do when I want to create a System Restore/Backup).

Run CCleaner and fix all issues, then run Registry Mechanic, then run NTREGOPT, and then Yes to reboot. Then run a defrag program (Windows or whatever, I use O&O Defrag), then run Page Defragmenter, and then reboot. Now, run System Restore, and create a new restore point. Then run ERUNT if you want to backup your registry. I then use Disk Cleanup and clear all but my recent restore point (to save space). You are now done.

I hope this will help some.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

I wonder what Regseeker will give me IF I scanned my PC ??? wacko.gif

sometime ago, i tried using regseeker to clean my computer registry hive after CCleaner 'issues' cleaning... CCleaner 'issues' found 60+ invalid registry issues i remove them all... reboot my computer and guess what!? regseeker found 500+ invalid issues... i was shocked to see so much invalid registry keys...

--==aGumon==--

Hey steve1368 and everyone who reads this,

You may not like what I have to say, but it's my opinion from experience. Other people's may be different. But here goes...

First off, I recommend not using TuneUp 2004, I use to use it. But, I stopped for a few reasons.

#1. I don't know what exactly it is fixing and so on...

#2. You can find other programs that will do a better job and you actually know what they do.

#3. Before I knew any better, I installed tweak programs and maintaince programs like TuneUp 2004, and it actually slowed down my system. I stop using all tweak programs (reformatted) and my system has been stable for a long time and not single error.

#4. Most programs do pointless tweaks that doesn't even effect Windows or performance.

As for Registry Cleaners...

No registry program is the same, some clean pointless entries and some actually clean really good. I have only found 1 registry program I like, Registry Mechanic is by far the best one I have ever used (I have tried tons of them). RegscrubXP is a joke, yes a joke. It's pointless, it finds tons of entries with "null" values. Sure you can clean them, but Windows will just rebuild them after every reboot or when you start the program. Alot of registry cleaners will do that to make it look like it's actually cleaning, but it's pointless, a waste of time, and it can frag your registry.

I recommend this... (This is what I do when I want to create a System Restore/Backup).

Run CCleaner and fix all issues, then run Registry Mechanic, then run NTREGOPT, and then Yes to reboot. Then run a defrag program (Windows or whatever, I use O&O Defrag), then run Page Defragmenter, and then reboot. Now, run System Restore, and create a new restore point. Then run ERUNT if you want to backup your registry. I then use Disk Cleanup and clear all but my recent restore point (to save space). You are now done.

I hope this will help some.

Thanks! I was about to do some cleanup.

Sorry for the late reply & thanks for the input.

I restored my computer before the cleaning. Now it is back to as it was.

Removed TuneUp Utilities 2004, RegscrubXP. Will be removing RM soon as it is only a trial version.

Still keeping Regcleaner 4.3....wondering I will ever use it.

I'm a little irritated, becos I don't know which registry cleaner I shud use. The reason being when I first started using my computer several years back. I used to install & removed a lot of softwares......later after learning more about computers here & elsewhere, I decided to clean up what is left behind, but the cleaners I mentioned earlier are not recommended by experienced ppl from here.

So, how do I actually remove those items??? :unsure:

Steve B)

I have used EasyCleaner for quite a few years now, it seems to do a fairly decent job of cleaning the registry, amongst other things.

It is a small program written by a guy in Finland, who has written many other apps, and is available from his website below.

EasyCleaner

No doubt someone will find faults in it, but hey, that is what we are all here for isn't it.

I have used EasyCleaner for quite a few years now, it seems to do a fairly decent job of cleaning the registry, amongst other things.

It is a small program written by a guy in Finland, who has written many other apps, and is available from his website below.

EasyCleaner

No doubt someone will find faults in it, but hey, that is what we are all here for isn't it.

Afraid I will find faults, It casued a few unknown errors for me.I didn't like it that much, may give it a shot again.

• Moderators

There should be less problems with it because now 2.0 has a blacklist of things that shouldn't be removed, there was no such thing in 1.7f. However to keep things safe and running on your hdd I don't recommend using the Duplicates button.

There should be less problems with it because now 2.0 has a blacklist of things that shouldn't be removed, there was no such thing in 1.7f. However to keep things safe and running on your hdd I don't recommend using the Duplicates button.

That would be a whitelist. ;)